MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Done a search but can’t seem to find a thread on this, wondering what fuel filters people are using in r53s? Looked at some and a few mention about poor quality seals etc, just looking for a decent aftermarket filter, the genuine one is coming up near 3x price of some aftermarket on eBay... not usually fussed about spending a bit more for genuine but that’s taking the mick a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s not about putting a cheap part on, just looking for a good quality filter, without paying someone’s mark up on a genuine one because they know I can’t get one from the dealer at the moment..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the dealer was open, I would have been down there and got one bought already because I know prices from BMW dealers on service parts usually aren’t too bad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just hang fire pal, dealers will be open in a week or 2.
Yeah I should, been waiting a bit now (like everyone) but want to just put a filter in ASAP now. Was a thread on here with a tapping noise same as mine is doing, turns out filter was black and car had dodgy plugs in causing it to go dangerously lean, the owner didn’t know which was exactly causing his issue but I’m leaning towards fuelling on mine. As it is, I’ve got a few bits going on soon like 15% pulley etc and wanted to put a filter in before I get it in the garage and take it apart or change anything else to see if it cures my problem before I go further, I’ll move onto injectors etc if it doesnt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
This came out of mine last year, car was running fine, hold your whist if it's running ok. If you really want to know if it's causing low flow, just undo the line at the injector rail, you'll soon know.

·
#R53orGTFO
344 Posts
Why would you go cheap on a part you need to change maybe once every 10 years (or every 5 years if you're fussy and drive a lot)..?
Because hobo :cool: I bought a Vaico filter with the gaskets and has been fine for almost 2 years now.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Mahle £18

Febi £12

Knecht £26

On Autodoc, no idea about Knecht, but i'd be happy enough with Mahle or Febi.

If you're desperate, message CoB, see if he's got one he could part with.

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
Use an OEM filter imo.

I can dealer parts if people are stuck, it'll cost more because I have to go and get them which can be a 25 - 70 mile round trip and they need posting also, so if people are not wanting to wait I may be able to help, went today but will have to get more small bits by the weekend maybe, if what you want is small I'll bike over as I often do.

Outside of lockdown stuff I can normally pass on 5% minimum discount, all service parts and coolant etc 10% no problem. Often I have many of the engine gaskets/seals already, sometimes in Victor Reinz, and normally standard size King bearings too, rod bolts kept also.

Reactions: Dave^

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the responses everyone, I forgot about autodoc as I’ve never used it but might grab the Mahle filter, I’d imagine it’s as good quality as OEM. Cars or bikes thanks for the offer but I wouldn’t want you messing about like that for a fuel filter, should I need anything more substantial I’ll certainly get in touch, your not ages away from me anyway but too far to drive for one filter lol. Really good to see how helpful people are on here.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Changed my fuel filter 3 times now. I change mine every 3 years (like the service schedule in my previous Japanese cars).
Used oem for my first 2 changes, but £48 oem is just daylight robbery.
Last time I went with Topran at around £18, no issues.

Go for a named brand and you should be ok.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As it happens my autodoc package finally came in on Saturday, i ordered a mahle filter so should be ok. Quality looks good and has come with all the seals.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,405 Posts
Ha e you done one on a mini before? Dont be afraid to stick an appropriately sized screwdriver into the top of the filter bucket to act as a handle. It's a twat to get the lid undone otherwise

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did it last night, as you suggested a large screwdriver was needed. It was absolutely filthy and I’m not sure anyone had been there before or for at least a very long time.

Car seems happier although it hasn’t cured my problem..

For anyone looking for a filter in the future, the mahle kit was a perfect fit, provided all the o rings needed and two gaskets for the tank tops incase you open both sides, all seemed good quality.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whats the problem?
I thought it was maybe going lean sometimes and causing a noise like pinking, so the fuel filter was the first step really.

It’s following on from another thread on here had the same sort of description of what I’m experiencing, he changed fuel filter but also found he had some fake NGK plugs supplied so wasn’t sure which cured his car. The filter was needed anyway so was worth doing. I’m going to try some data logging to see if it is going lean at any point before I move on and do any further work/ modifications.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts