MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, I didn't get it done by Xmas but ceramic coating has been done for the manifold, it's been assembled and now waiting to schedule an appointment at the muffler shop for a new down pipe. That'll probably be in early Jan, then off to the ceramic coater again. Maybe a dyno pull in Feb.

To shorten a very long story, this is turning out to be a nightmare install. Had to pull the A/C compressor, radiator, and hoses, then Aux Coolant Pump to get this oversized exhaust system installed. Also had to drop and move forward the coolant reservoir, first to mount the turbo, then to close the hood. Lotsa Dremel work. Should have relocated the oil cooler, but decided to work around it --- probably gonna fry some hoses.

So far, I've learned that this turbo isn't a good choice for the Scara73-type manifold. Maybe a turbo with external WG, but even then, the vacuum pump will prevent the turbine outlet from "pointing" towards the proper DP location. Then there's the loss of A/C and the benefits of an Aux coolant pump for turbo cooling.

Here's a couple pics --- more to follow after DP install and dyno.

Manifold installed with two exhaust gaskets, showing gap between oil cooler and turbo compressor housing. Final install using only one gasket.

Fittings for oil and coolant return lines. Keeping these hoses away from the exhaust tube is one of the hardest parts.

Final install, just waiting for DP to be fab'd, coated and installed. Maybe by late Jan.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Downpipe fab'd, coated, and installed. Dyno pulls performed. Pics and dyno charts attached. Had a couple broken wires to find between final assembly and dyno pulls. Slowed me down by a couple weeks.
Parts of the last DP were used, end pieces with the O2 bungs.
IMG_2367.jpeg

Turbo end is on the left, both pics. Shown before ceramic coating
IMG_2368.jpeg

This is the cut-out needed to fit this turbo, mostly the WG.
IMG_2353.jpeg

Fully installed DP, before coating and without turbo heat shield
IMG_2365.jpeg

Same as above but whole engine bay
IMG_2366.jpeg

Finishing up on the dyno --- a still from a couple videos taken by a shop tech.
Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 5.35.40 PM.png

Best of three charts. Dyno boost measurement was broken so penciled-in value was from my dash-mounted gauge. 1st pull was 23 PSI. Big MBC adjustment got me 27 PSI. Another MBC adj didn't increase it any more, so conclusion is WG actuator is max'd out.
Pull #3 Dyno w:RPM.jpeg

At 4500' elevation, dyno's do a Weather Conversion Factor
Pull #3 Conversion data.jpeg

Next I gotta upgrade the turbo WG Actuator. Garrett delivers this model with a 1.0 Bar version and this series of pulls shows me that I need their 1.5 Bar actuator to get max boost (HP). Not that I'm unhappy with these numbers, but there's a couple guys across the pond with high 500 BHP numbers, and I believe I can join, maybe even top them. This 470 WHP converts to 533 BHP, using an online conversion app --- Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator
Data logs indicate AFR, fuel, and timing are spot-on, per the tuner. Apparently my WMI at each port makes up for any lack of gasoline.
Stay tuned for the next set of dyno pulls ---

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I like these numbers....
In fact I'd be ecstatic with 360 Bhp, ?

Any traction issues ?
Only traction issues are at high RPM, where all the power is. LSD helps keep it moving straight. Lower RPM's have serious torque-steer problems when getting on it. Not for the faint-of-heart.

Reactions: Alski

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got the new WG actuator installed. Found out the factory used a 0.5 Bar version instead of the advertised 1.0 Bar. Sent Garrett Customer Service a short nastygram, but I don't expect a response. Dyno charts have some pretty nice numbers, just not as clean at the tail-end. Boost still max'd out at about 29PSI. Probable causes are turbine housing 0.92 A/R, long tube ex manifold, 1.6 L engine, --- ??? Fortunately, with these numbers, I can live with sub 30 PSI. There's also the possibility that if the driver would have ran the test up to my 7500 RPM max, the HP and torque would be a bit higher. Maybe next time. In the meantime, my 520 WHP to BHP conversion puts me at 589 which is slightly higher than RevLimit's 582 BHP. I haven't seen any higher numbers for an N14, only 1st Gen's and transplants, and there's very few of those.

Green curves are boost and AFR. Dyno operator couldn't provide the scale on the same chart as power and torque.
Pull 3 Pwr & Torque.jpg

WCF = Weather Conversion Factor, what the dyno would read at sea level, if not at my 4500' elevation.
Pull 3 Conversion Data.jpg

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,629 Posts
fantastic numbers
My r53 would run 7500 rpm very happily with water-methanol, at about 50% of your boost and ponies
but it’s a lot to ask of a n14 pushing out your numbers...
do you really want to go there? just for a slightly bigger dyno number ?
on the road you will be going way too fast to miss any extra ponies?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Look again at the curves. All the big power and boost is at the high RPM's. Driving around town or on the hiway is just about the same as any other modded Mini. Since I live in the boondocks, city driving is minimal and overall mileage is between 35 - 40 MPG. When performance is wanted, it's only a down-shift or two away.

·
Registered
133 Posts
oldbrokenwind, your mini build is insane and must cost a fortune to do even if you do most of the work yourself.

I'm surprised with that much power you can get it all down without some sort of all wheel drive conversion.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
What a great read and build! Awesome work!! try not to get too hung up on the ultimate numbers, this is still up there with one of the highest R56 numbers out there.

Out of interest, do you use a 3inch downpipe and full exhaust system?
Only I have been considering swapping my JCW system for the 3 inch Alta one, curious to what you run and have experienced.

Cheers Ryan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What a great read and build! Awesome work!! try not to get too hung up on the ultimate numbers, this is still up there with one of the highest R56 numbers out there.

Out of interest, do you use a 3inch downpipe and full exhaust system?
Only I have been considering swapping my JCW system for the 3 inch Alta one, curious to what you run and have experienced.

Cheers Ryan
As KNT suggests, it did cost a fortune and the wife has said "ENOUGH!", so I'm finished with the mods, now it's just maintenance. Altho my next set of plugs will be heat range 10.

Exhaust is a 2011 Alta 3" system, with an added 27" long resonator. No cats. Trying to keep noise levels down without affecting performance. Nice deep rumble and no noticeable drone, at least none that my hearing aid detects. If you're not going for big power, 3" is often considered overkill.

As for runs and experience, this is a "sleeper" and so far, only used on streets and hiways. No interest in SCCA events, tried the long track at Thunderhill Raceway Park but discovered I'm getting too old and don't have the reaction time necessary for emergency response. Hoping to talk the wife into a trip to the Texas Mile and try for a 200MPH standing start mile. Quarter mile runs are useless with my slow spooling turbo. Then, with all my power in the high RPM's, there's little opportunity to practice and get familiar with the torque steer and traction loss this thing creates.

If there were to be another mod, it would be a new turbo turbine housing, with a low or medium A/R rating, to change the power curve to a more useful range.

Reactions: Lee07771

·
Registered
133 Posts
If there were to be another mod, it would be a new turbo turbine housing, with a low or medium A/R rating, to change the power curve to a more useful range.
Milan Mastracci from Youtube also had a big turbo kit installed on his R56, but found tracking the car wasn't good and has now changed it for a hybrid turbo for track.

I still love those MINI's with big power though when the big boost kicks in.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts