MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 357 Posts

·
www.r53.nl
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gradually modded my 2003 MCS from 2004 till now and recently things are getting more serious because I bought a 1st gen. MCS Cabrio to be able to make the R53 more suited for the Nurburgring and other tracks.

Currently the Mini runs 250 bhp and 280 Nm (full mod list in de vbGarage) and it did so without problems almost for 150.000 km. So no more serious engine mods are planned. Emphasis will be on weight savings and a little bit better aerodynamics.

Pictures and Videos say more than words so here a few of the current standings from my website on www.r53.nl (Dutch).

My fastest BTG lap so far on the Ring after 20 laps, last year.
I hope it will get better the coming years.

Tryout with an Innovate gauge setup (German Autobahn).
Ultimate goal is a Ring lap under 8 minutes like this :)

Latest modifications are a Wiechers race-rollcage, Recaro Pole Positions and a OMP steering wheel (with horn) and no airbag light lit. The car does not fail 'MOT' so it is and will stay road legal.

Unfortunately the Sachs clutch is worn out (much too soon) and in 2 weeks a new clutch will be put in. During that a aluminium radiator is placed, all airco related stuff taken out for weight savings, Samco water hoses put in and a R56 Superspint exhaust is placed. For that I already have put the battery in the boot. All this to be able to place a R56 Mini Challenge rear diffuser. The R56 underbody is already in place.

And some older pictures but still valid.

And the Cabrio which is also giving me a lot of fun.

N

·
0 Posts
2 very nice cars, i love those wheels on the cabrio! :thumbup:
That exhaust is going to be very loud btw! Someone tried the same on NAM, something to do with the pulsing of the supercharger!

·
Rooster
5,349 Posts
can you share more info on what exactly your innovitive set up is? Just watching the second video and its cool as fuck! I want! :)

Sub 8 min lap time - good luck - car sounds good!

Lee

N

·
0 Posts
can you share more info on what exactly your innovitive set up is? Just watching the second video and its cool as fuck! I want! :)

Sub 8 min lap time - good luck - car sounds good!

Lee
I just watched the video too! Thats badass! :thumbup1:
Interesting watchin EGT, IAT's and such.

·
www.r53.nl
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a Google translation of the Innovate setup.
It consists of:
LMA-3 or Aux-box for EGT (exhaust gas temp)and Boost. It also has the G-force build in.
LC-1 for AFR (air fuel ratio)
LM-2 for connection to OBD and recording of data during driving. The LM-2 is also a portable lambda tool.

So I record the video and the data and playback the data in Innovate Logworks and export it as an overlay for the video. It shows the Mini is runnig somewhat rich in the higher revs but that also keeps the EGT low nicely.
With 20 degrees outside temperature the IAT of 40 at almost top speed isn't also too bad.

A

·
0 Posts
Berthill, always loved your car, that was the one that made me want to buy the Milltek years ago when you had your vids up ( the sound of music type one...lol)

Seeing as your at the ring all the time and so am i be good to meet up there some time. Out there again in two weeks, Got two interesting cars coming, a Ford KA turbo track car and a very nice Ring tool which is a a wide track Nova. Just being finished now, ring is going to be its first shake down....lol

Love your car though, looks great.

·
freedom...blah
4,069 Posts
Very entertaining Berthil, very cool both of them :thumbup::cools:

·
Registered
776 Posts
top car mate:thumbup:and used the way it should be:cools:

lee

·
The Lord of the Minis.
869 Posts
Just can say... respect! Any time any doubt about mods, Berthil's Mini has been the one to look at! Great job!!!
BTW, what did you do with the battery? You use the same OEM one but put it in a Cooper's box and place it in the boot? If that's is so... great idea!!!:thumbup1:

·
www.r53.nl
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, what did you do with the battery? You use the same OEM one but put it in a Cooper's box and place it in the boot? If that's is so... great idea!!!:thumbup1:
Yes, I used the Cooper box and fitted the standard S battery.
I just had to modifiy the lid of the box a little bit with the dremel to make room for the plus connection. It also made the tube for gasses through the bottom so gasses from the battery do not enter the cabin.

·
The Lord of the Minis.
869 Posts
Yes, I used the Cooper box and fitted the standard S battery.
I just had to modifiy the lid of the box a little bit with the dremel to make room for the plus connection. It also made the tube for gasses through the bottom so gasses from the battery do not enter the cabin.
Very witty! :thumbup1:

·
www.r53.nl
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have mounted the R56 Supserspint exhaust and R56 Challenge diffusers. All in all quite some work but all turned out well although the Supersprint is on the loud side. Coming Wednesday I am going to Zolder and there is a 95dB restriction measured on two points on the circuit. I will start my laps lifting the throttle at those points. Also some pictures of the finished interior with rollcage.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 357 Posts