MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I had a phone call from my daughter. Her battery was flat. When I got home I turned the ignition on and the lights came on. The light switch wouldn't turn them off. I jump started the car from my trusty old Transit. Again, the lights wouldn't turn off. Also the indicators won't work, hazzards won't work and no interior lights. I've done a search and it all points to the 'footwell module'. Is there a way to re-set this unit? If not any links on how to remove the unit? After a search on here a link to FRM3.co.uk was suggested but the link is now dead. Any suggestions? I've seen one site that'll reset for around £195. Any pointers/suggestions on how to remove/get it reset will be accepted.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Footwell module is in passenger Footwell. On the left hand side at the bottom of the A pillar there is a kick plate (plastic) give it a good tug and the clips will release. You will see the FRM3 mounted vertically with 2 nuts holding it up. MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY and then remove the 2 electrical plugs and you're good to go.
There is a seller on ebay that does FRM resets for about £50. Bricks and mortar business (in Lincolnshire from memory). Very fast (next day return) and hassle free.

Regards, HD

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I've found them on ebay. Looks like I know what I'm going to be doing tomorrow in between the heavy rain that's forecast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that was easier to get out than I expected. As it happens I'm working in Spalding on Tuesday and will be passing Sleaford on my way to my Wednesday job in Runcorn. I've emailed Pelican Diagnostics and I can call in and they will do it while I'm there. All I need to do now is get a new battery for the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
....... and then depending on whether you have a monitored battery system (IBS), code it to you car.

Gone are the days of fixing things with a hammer and flat bladed screwdriver (unfortunately).

HD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmmm....... IBS???? How do you tell if the car has it ? If it has how do you do it? Come to think of it, why do they have it?

Oh how I wish I had my first car back - 1972 Mini. Things were so simple back then. Just keep topping the oil up and it was happy :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
IBS - Intelligent Battery System. The car monitors the charge and discharge rate of the battery.
If you have it, there will be a small black or silver box on the negative terminal cabling and (should be red) a wire going from +ve to - ve battery terminals.
You would need a code reader device to code in a new battery for IBS systems. HD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if the Mini has it. I'm working away until Wed evening. Hopefully the place in Sleaford are fixing the module tomorrow and I'll be refitting it on Thursday.
What happens if you swap the battery and don't reprograme the IBS?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
An update.
I took my module to Pelican Diagnostics in Sleaford. Luckily I was working in Spalding on Tuesday then had to drive to Runcorn so it wasn't far out of my way. The guy reprogrammed it while I was there. I refitted it today along with a new battery and eveything is back to normal. I didn't have to programme the battery (still don't know if I needed to or not but it works) and so far after one sort run all is good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts