MiniTorque.com banner
90K views 797 replies 80 participants last post by  brownpants 
#1 · (Edited)
This is the start of a joint operation with Lee and myself :thumbup:

The new shell will be used but the rest has yet to be decided on . Costs and fun can be shared this way .
With more Mini's entering next year to stay competitive would be hard without further work and I'm enjoying getting the kiss off the pit girls so don't want to jeopardise that :tongue_smilie:

Reactions: foggielee
#42 ·
Tags have been disabled from minitorque as it was the same boring ones popping up all the time.
bacon
cyro'd
midget
waffle

#45 ·
Whats the plan for our car then?

We thought it would be good to give you gents an idea of the plan for next years build to keep interest up and maybe even get some idea's along the way.

On the shell side, it will be getting fitted with a T45 cage from customcages. Nige will be getting handy with the dremmel cutting away everything in the hope to leave one skin on the shell as the majority of it is double skinned, and even tripple in some cases.

Ian 'Turkey' Taylor will be spending many hours seam welding the bitch so that it further reduces flex and hopefully helps keep the thing straight when Nige inevitably has an off next year :lol:

I am currently trying to find someone to make us some fibre glass / carbon parts. These will be bonnet, boot and doors. Hopefully this wont be expensive as we only need the skin and not all the gubbins inside so that people can mount washer jets etc. It might be cheaper is we get X amount of each produced so there might be an option for the other track cars to jump on board and get some of these with us.

The goal target weight is 850kgs, it will probably come in more but its nice to have a target to work to.

Power
We are 99% sure that we are going for a rotrex charger due to alot of reasons. Packaging and ease of conversion being the main one. Undecided on size but its something we are working out with the UK rotrex supplier TTS.

The engine will be getting fully built. Stock crank, mahle bearings, XXX Rods - going for price / weight. and High compression XXX pistons - compression is needed to make a rotrex work to its full potential. We are keeping the TPR-3 head on and changing the Janspeed for my rmw street header - possibly cut out the cat but it might be handy to keep it on to help with noise. If the car proves quiet then it can be removed.

The throttle body will be moved to post charger as pre charger will act as a restriction. This requires a BOV so there will be some nice sounds coming from the car :) its easier to blow through than suck through.

We are going to get a custom side exit exhaust fabb'd up and will possibly have the tips facing towards the ground to deflect noise and allow us to pass any noise testing. Looks shit but function over form.

We need to find out if the stock ecu will cope easily with this conversion or we might have to look into standalone...

Fuel system will possibly be getting overhauled with a 20ltr fuel cell in the boot, with a tube running to allow us to fill the car without opening the boot. New fuel pump, larger injectors etc.

With the fuel tank moved this will allow us to make a rather nice rear diffuser to mate upto the flat floor and with a big gay plywood splitter on the front this will hopefully give us downforce without the added drag of a big gay spoiler.

Wheels will be 16" and tyres will be 215/50 R888's, for brakes we are sticking on R56s calipers, my nitrac discs and some racey pads. Castrol SRF Fluid too. Some noice cooling ducts will keep the temps in check - hopefully. If this proves to be a sucessful set up then we will look into lightening it and I have found some 2 piece discs that will fit the calipers :) .... if this set up doesnt work for us then I guess we would try the TSW BDM brake kit.

Nige will be making a passenger seat to further help reduce weight in the cabin.

We are also looking at the feasability of moving the seat / stearing wheel / pedles as far back as possible to help the weight balance of the car.

An OS Giken diff will most likely be fitted as this is worth atleast 0.5-1 second per lap over the current obx / quaife diff - if one was fitted for brands nige would have got a 1st place...

Paint - looking for ideas, we are certain though we need a paint scheme that will attract sponsorship. I would like the SNP to sponsor us so a salitire over the entire car would help :wink:

I've probably missed alot which nige will chime in with and add to, but thats the basics - enjoy.

#51 · (Edited)
Jan is helping me / us out in the back ground. And although it would be good to get his version he will only sell it as a whole kit due to the time/money/effort he has put into development - this will bump up the cost for us and money is tight as is due to all the other things going on. Another reason is that its more fun to do our own take on it :) if it proves successful then good, if not then back to the drawing board.

Whole kit being
Head, cam, injectors, tuning, manifold, pistons, meth etc

#52 ·
Going to be an epic build, Cant wait to see the progress :thumbup:, Hope your better at using a camera than Nige was :scared:, Want to see plenty of build pics :drool:

#53 ·
I'm excellent at using a camera - but in 500 miles from the build :lol:

#56 ·
It'll be quite a feat to get to the target weight, but as you know Nige isnt shy with a hole saw / dremel etc, and im not shy to encourage him :lol:

The shell has zero wax oil / underseal etc so that must weigh a bit, and since we are starting with a shell we can chose carefully which parts we actually need to put back on the car, short bolts, lighter brackets. No poof aids like power stearing / abs.

I do think realistically 900kgs is possible without driver, its just trying to find another 50 places to save 1kg off :laugh:

#57 ·
Pics of the shell

#59 ·
Well Floof summed it up really well . 850kg is a hell of a target but it means we will be mean with the body
Castor plates are also being sought so Paul get your finger out !
Poof aids going - help ! I'd best start working on my weedy arms

#61 ·
Trev, whats your price for a Vi-Pec? pm me mates rates if you like ;)

#63 ·
I'm thinking of doing a "MEGA" deal for anyone who is participating in next years TA, something like cost price plus just the labour for install. Once I know the 2011 price of the kit I will be able to quote, so any prices now would be only valid till end of year. I will PM you 2moro as price list at work:thumbup:

#64 ·
ok dokey thanks :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.