MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've just purchased my first Mini, a 2005 Mini Cooper R50 with chilli pack. I saw this car and completely fell in love and had bought it within 48 hours of dropping my old car off for a service and seeing it at the garage next door. I'm looking for a few ideas of what to do with it, I've already changed the wing mirror caps to black (not a fan of the chrome- may also dechrome) and I am looking at changing to black alloys, but I was wondering would it be better for me to have the current alloys colour coated since I do really like the alloys (they will be stripped and primed not just sprayed), or should I look at buying new ones? I am also looking at coilovers but I am a bit worried as currently everywhere I have to drive has the world's worst speed bumps :crying: I need to decide what to do with my rear bumper as well - the stickers are peeling off (will insert picture below) should I replace with new stickers or cut out and stick a grill behind it? Sorry for waffling but I am a complete novice and would so appreciate anyone's help on what I could do!

Here are some pictures of my new toy :cools:

IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0600.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Welcome, yellow's grown on me a lot.

I owned a R50 with the works kit too, get a hairdryer on those stickers and clean off the glue, it looks best left painted IMO. Chrome doesnt contrast enough with yellow so I would dechrome the beltline and handles and body colour match the headlight rings (just my 2c)....also the aero grille lips could be body colour coded too - see tweedbeans project r53. With an r50, spend your money on chassis and handling first if you go down modifying route, I wreckon my old R50 would have been quicker than my new r53 on normal backroads...I havent setup the R53 chassis yet.

Here's a reference:
yellow by Ross R50, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
What Ross said. Regarding spraying your wheels, I don't think the S-Spokes actually work in black, but it's just my opinion.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome,

Nice to see another R50 here, looking pretty good as is.
I'd definitely de-chrome it, be doing that myself soon too.

I'm a newbie to the mini scene to, and people here have been great with advice and tips etc so welcome can't wait to see what you end up doing with your Mini.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Nice to see a yellow R50 on here, I had one as my daily before my R53.

Definitely take the stickers off the rear, will look so much better. As for coilovers you don't have to slam it, and even a really low one can still do surprisingly well with speed bumps. Any suspension parts can be transferred to an R53 should you have one in the future.

I had a couple of sets of wheels on my R50, some 15x7 Team Dynamics really helped to improve the handling, being much lighter than the stock S Spokes. And the extra tyre sidewall improved the ride, but 15s only look good when lowered.

Joey mod headlights (painted on the inside) improved the look of mine at the front, wish I did more dechroming though.

My old R50:

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts