MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up a 2005 R53 checkmate over the weekend. 117000 miles and three owners.

Had a tonne of receipts and loads of new parts thrown at it over the last two years, including a steering rack and alternator! However, I did find the tiniest speck of a rust bubble under the drivers side rear light and some rust just above the numberplate.

It seems to go well but does have a rattle from the middle of the car, sounds a bit like a heat shield but haven't had time to look yet.

Using it for work instead of my van but the plan is to tidy it up and hopefully keep it going for a few years!

20210628_174940.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car is booked in to have the wheels refurbished on the 15th July. Either sticking to the standard silver or Anthracite. Also replaced the passenger side wing mirror glass as it was some weird magnified thing that meant you couldn't see bugger all!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rust under tail lights and on bootlid is common.

Get the former sorted ASAP.
I've got it booked in to my local garage to have a look at the power steering leak. Will ask him for some decent body shops. Was hoping to get the tail lights off today to have a look but it's chucking it down -_-

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've got it booked in to my local garage to have a look at the power steering leak. Will ask him for some decent body shops. Was hoping to get the tail lights off today to have a look but it's chucking it down -_-
It’s a cut the metal out and replace repair, not a filler and spray job.

All that for a few rust bubbles!
Cost was £500.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What's the score with future proofing? Seems to be quite a bad design for it to happen in the first place?
It’s a bad design, but the biggest issue is the lack of sealer between inner and outer metal panels, so the body shop made sure that wouldn’t be the case again.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would call it a risky design rather than bad. Too reliant on getting enough sealant into a join that is prone to laying water.

The rear lights are pretty much unique for a mass produced car. They are one of many very clever design details from Frank Stevenson on the R50/2/3. His YouTube video on the Mini is worth a watch.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
I would call it a risky design rather than bad. Too reliant on getting enough sealant into a join that is prone to laying water.

The rear lights are pretty much unique for a mass produced car. They are one of many very clever design details from Frank Stevenson on the R50/2/3. His YouTube video on the Mini is worth a watch.
Thanks Nigel, got round to watching this, very interesting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dechromed the beltline last night. Was hoping to do a few bits today (like look at the rattly exhaust) but it's chucking it down as usual. Can't wait to get the wheels refurbished on Wednesday. Will tidy the car up a lot.

20210709_175259.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Managed to get a look underneath the car. I reckon it's still got the standard exhaust as it's quite rusty. Also noticed a tiny hole in the back box! So to rectify this I've ordered a Scorpion cat back. Can't wait!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So.... I decided against a colour change on the wheels and just went for a nice metallic silver. Looks much fresher and the wheels are no longer kerbed to buggery!

My exhaust has been delayed til mid August so I'll have to live with the rattling a little longer!

20210726_080721.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So it went to the garage today for a bit of a checkup and I came out with a list of things to buy.

Rocker cover gasket - ordered
Two rear shocks (current ones are rusted) - ordered
Front wishbone rear bushes - ordered
Rear ARB links - ordered
Rear springs (very rusted) - not yet ordered
Coolant leak bottom right by rad - needs further investigation.

Joy! Not bad for a 16 year old car I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts