MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Just for a bit of fun I ordered some use side repeater trim parts for peanuts off eBay, and with some primer and satin black experimented with de-chroming them a little.

got some smoked lenses coming so may fit them for a while with the de-chromed belt line to see what I think.

In other news, I had a falling out this morning on who would do the driving to nursery

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Managed to blag a few minutes car-washing on the mini over the weekend.

Run-flats mask a low pressure tyre way more than I’d imagined, as rear left was practically flat.

fitted the less-chrome side grills:

Also finished the belt line de-chrome.

Replaced a water-filled rear lamp too.

Hopefully someone will tell me that a steamy radiator on a cold damp morning after a car-wash is pretty normal? Was steaming when I parked, didnt

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The car has been for its first visit to 1320Mini. Really nice experience. Car has been given a clean bill of health (pretty much). Great price too I thought, for a full Inspection 2service, and fit a PAS pump, so I’d certainly recommend them.

Nice on their part to make their loan cars a little bit special.

Their little red beastie felt so much quicker than mine! Will be booking in for some tweaks in the new year.

·
Registered
2005 R52 One Convertible (The Smoker)
817 Posts
Such a nice example this, looking forward to seeing it progress 👍

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bugger. Have had our first semi-breakdown.
Wife was driving on motorway, and PAS stopped working. Was a sudden complete failure, but just heavy steering as a result.

Pump is only a week old, so hope to find a connector has fallen out, or a fuse blown.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,710 Posts
If you've got the facilities available to safely get under the car it'll be worth having a rake about for a popped connector. The main fuse for the pump is 100amp (huuuuge) and I've never heard of one going pop

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
If you've got the facilities available to safely get under the car it'll be worth having a rake about for a popped connector. The main fuse for the pump is 100amp (huuuuge) and I've never heard of one going pop

Thanks for the tips. Fuse was intact, connectors not corroded and all plugged in.... was getting power....

seems like bad luck, and a duff pump. New one on, and back on the road.

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,710 Posts
Excellent stuff. A duffer is a pain but happens. Glad you got sorted

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Through a couple of slow punctures, I ended up with two new tires on the LHS of the car. Found time today to put both new ones across the front axle.

I bloody hate jacking up the other side once one is supported by axle stands.

Good news generally, looks brand new underneath really. Whichever MOT tester felt the need to record trailing arm corrosion was being a bit harsh I think. Dampers springs and rear silencer look practically new.

Before:

After:

Wheels are heavily corroded, but not sure whether I prefer this style or R90s, or something else, so will be fine for now.

newly balanced wheels on front axle cured a faint steering wheel wobble, and largely cured the steering pull under load which is a bonus (unlikely, but perhaps unbalanced tyre load ratings were contributing?)

Resisted the urge to detail!

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Great job on the cleaning, did you use anything in particular or mainly elbow grease? Want to attack my rear arches whilst it’s currently in the air.

Definitely harsh to put an advisory on those arms.

R90’s are nice and not a wheel that you see too often. Quite like R98’s also.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
For cleaning in the arches I use a product called G101, an all purpose cleaner. Had run out of that though, so used an autofinesse equivalent called dynamite. Very effective.
Then to finish/beautify I covered the disc/pads so they didn’t get covered in slippery products, and sprayed autofinesse dressle everywhere (would usually use autoglym rubber and vinyl spray but ran out)

would have covered the metal arms in ACF50 corrosion inhibitor, but I’m never sure about applying that to a wet surface, so will leave that till warmer months, and maybe slap some hammerite or something on the surface rust too.

Used the APC on the wheels too, along with an iron fallout remover. I find them all much of a muchness, and in this instance it was autoglym magma which I had in stock.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
Well, that’s more money spent which I could have done with not spending on what is supposed to just be a “normal” car....

Been back to 1320 and had LCA bushes replaced, and 17% pulley fitted. Not night and day different, but certainly more go!

They picked up on a tired engine mount whilst there, so that was replaced too. So much for the “simple car, I’ll do the work myself” promise I made myself when I got it. Turns out I’ve gone soft and hate rolling around on the driveway in winter in the cold/rain.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, that’s more money spent which I could have done with not spending on what is supposed to just be a “normal” car....

Been back to 1320 and had LCA bushes replaced, and 17% pulley fitted. Not night and day different, but certainly more go!

They picked up on a tired engine mount whilst there, so that was replaced too. So much for the “simple car, I’ll do the work myself” promise I made myself when I got it. Turns out I’ve gone soft and hate rolling around on the driveway in winter in the cold/rain.
I'm surprised you haven't noticed a night and day difference in the pulley. When I went from standard to -15%, I noticed the difference straight away.
Way more pull and urgency to the engine, especially having a bit more torque through the rev range.

·
Premium Member
2,649 Posts
This looks like a really tidy example, and your efforts in sprucing it up are to be recognised! A car in this condition deserves to be looked after and kept OEM. Can't say I'd fit the RS door pulls and I also think the chrome suits it, with the black car you need a bit of highlight to contrast. The only thing I would maybe change are the chrome mirrors. Keep your eyes out for some JCW bits, the steering wheel is absolutely lovely to use but rare as hens teeth.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts