MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Ive been a long time lurker and dipped in an d out of the forum for a couple of years. Anyway, yesterday I bought an R53 with dealer fit JCW kit.
It has a 4-1 exhaust with a Scorpion down pipe and 200 cell...non resonator...Plenty of burbles, pops and bangs...probably too many, but my main issue is the unbearable, deafening drooooooooone.
I was driving along the M'way back to Nottingham yesterday and it was driving me mad. It was so loud that i had to open the windows because I could feel the air pressure pushing on my ear drums. When i cracked the window open, my ears popped!

I know that a side branch resonator can help and I wonder if any of you guys knew anyone in the Midlands who could retro fit one, or if the pipe could be cut and an inline resonator welded in? If so, how successful are these mods?

If these options are not possible or cost effective I'm more than happy to sell the system and replace it with something quieter.

Any help would be greatly received!!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Just make sure that the centre mounts are aligned correctly first.

It should be set such that the pipe is suspended in the centre of the mount not at one end or you will get more sound transmitted than you should into the cabin.

Cars or Bikes told me this one & it helped mine a lot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a great piece of advice. I'll have a look later and see. Did it make a significant improvement?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
As I said above, yes, it helped a lot.

Probably halved the drone inside the car.

I ended up having to elongate holes in the mounting plate a bit for best effect.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
often aftermarket exhaust manifold flanges can be slightly out of alignment, this is usually apparent as you offer them up for joining where there can sometimes be a clear gap at the top or bottom of a flange, when tightened the system is forced to lift or drop and remains tensioned in this position. This is exacerbated if the manifolds are also slightly short pulling the system forward onto stops, but also pulling the rear inboard supports forward resulting in a similar noise through the boot floor.

most assume the centre hangers on a system are for a centre mount rather than a bump stop which is actually what we have, it goes unnoticed that the bump stop is pinned against the top or bottom stops, transmitting really quite unpleasant noise through the floor of the car, sometimes worsening at a certain rpm range. Otherwise it can just be noise due to no res section, or pipe sizing and silencer type etc.

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,656 Posts
Also It’s very possible that your top engine mount has died and is adding to the overall NVH as well as adding specific load and twist to your flexi-manifold and so this is also transferred further down into the rest of the exhaust system.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for such thorough replies gents. I used a trolley jack and took a look underneath but it was very difficult to see due the tunnel the exhaust sits in. Really, the car needs to be on a ramp. I'll try again tomorrow with a bigger jack that can lift the car up higher.
How much clearance should there be between the pipework and the underside of the floor typically??
On a side note, the underneath of the car looked as clean as a whistle.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
it can be quite close to the tunnel, you need sight of the bump stops themselves above the central brace plate, they should be clear to move top and bottom, they may well be already but worth checking, having seen the cat back in your main thread I think it's just that which is your issue, it's not the manifold that's responsible unless causing the above

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your advice. Hopefully it will be as simple as that, if not it'll need a resonator from Scorpion (about £180 for the section) or take it to someone to make a Helmholtz side tube...I'll take a look tomorrow and see what's what.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it can be quite close to the tunnel, you need sight of the bump stops themselves above the central brace plate, they should be clear to move top and bottom, they may well be already but worth checking, having seen the cat back in your main thread I think it's just that which is your issue, it's not the manifold that's responsible unless causing the above
The entire exhaust system is made by Scorpion. It's their manifold and cat pipe (Scorpion R53 R52 R50 Exhaust Manifold De-Cat & Cat SMNC014 SMNX014 | Gen1 Exhaust - Orranje Performance: MINI Performance Parts, MINI Tuning, MINI Styling) connected to their non res catback (Scorpion R53 R52 Catback Exhaust - Non-Resonated (SMN003) | Exhausts For Cooper S - Orranje Performance: MINI Performance Parts, MINI Tuning, MINI Styling).
IF it is the exhaust that's the issue then Im assuming the only remedies are:
1) Buy a resonator section and try and fettle it in. I think this is the cheapest option (£180 plus fitting and shipping)
2) Buy a stock cat, cut the original pipe and weld in the new cat or simply fit the entire manifold which defeats the point. (New cat is too expensive)
3) Remove this system and buy an entirely new one (I wouldn't have bought the car in this case).
4) Sell the car and move on due to the time, hassle and expense of it all. Ive been here sooOOoo many times before and I swore I wouldn't put myself through it again....

'Living with it' isn't an option.

This could be the shortest lived car ownership I've ever had😂

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
either fit a res section or get rid of the cat back. The stock cat back will handle ~250hp+ anyway, and even with it a 4:2.1 left installed it will still help the motor, especially if you fit a cam, where a cat back won't do so much for it really, only as you find some power. The manifold you have although not what I'd use should prove beneficial as you tune this, I definitely wouldn't remove it. It is not the cause of your noise, yes changing it will reduce the noise, but the causal part is the cat back 100%, so don't change the wrong part.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I crawled about underneath it yesterday and had a look at the exhaust.
The front section (manifold and cat) are the Scorpion, from the centre back it is Powerflow. I don't know the diameter but I'm guessing 2.75" to 3". I suspect that an issue I'm going to have is buying either the Scorpion centre resonator section or a Powerflow resonator and having the flangers and lengths lining up/
I've phoned and email my local Powerflow franchise but I don't think they're back at work yet...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Sean. As I said in the above post, I need a centre resonator that will kill the drone. i don't want to buy and entire cat back section, but just simply replace that centre piece and keep as much as what I have.
Interesting about the cam. I've read several of your posts about cam replacements. Im running an 11% pulley so Im guessing a cam would have a greater influence on the character of the car?
For now though, i have to get rid of that fkn drone!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
2.75/3" is too big, I would just check that if I were you as that won't help.

IIRC it should be either 2.25 or 2.5, not sure which though.

Sean will confirm.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
Both my after market (scorpion and milltek) are 2.5

personally I’d ditch the power flow and go for a correct size scorpion to go with the existing manifold

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think that's throwing good money after bad tbh and I've already done that too many times in the past.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
282 Posts
I think that's throwing good money after bad tbh and I've already done that too many times in the past.
Keep an eye on fleabay, I got the milltek on my R53 off there For £240 2nd hand, then flogged the toyosport I had on the car (which had a milltek resonated centre pipe as a replacement for the non resonated standard one) for £120, you will always have someone interested in a cheap Loud sport exhaust for a mini!

As a slight aside, I’ve got a full scorpion system on my mini one convertible and that was another eBay bargain at £140 and worth every penny, you can barely hear it ticking over but when you put your foot down it sounds lovely, a nice deep burble, even on a basic car!

You sometimes just have to be on line at the right time to grab a bargain

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
that's too short

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The good news is I've found a custom exhaust company who can make me a centre resonated section. I've been given a ballpark idea on price so I'm taking it over there on Monday to get looked at. He should be okay to fit the car in sometime next week. If that's the case...happy days!! I'll keep you all informed, because I'm sure none of you are sick and tired of me moaning about it. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts