MiniTorque.com banner

341 - 360 of 396 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Did they also change the Tyre design itself, or what's actually different on the AD08RS? Should just take a look at it when you are here this weekend eh.

Gesendet von meinem JSN-L21 mit Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #342 (Edited)
Well I can’t believe I’m saying this..... but..... the mini has only gone and fucking survived a ring trip without 1 single issue!!!

1453 miles completed, 16 laps in that and it’s home :thumbup: I’m utterly amazed. Had an absolute blast as usual :cool:

Being a mini though it has to have its say, I’m sure at some point not all will be well. Either flys are chasing me at speed to hit the back of my car or the cat is being slowly destroyed

Have to say after travelling 12 hours home in temperatures of 21°-27° In a car with no aircon I desperately need a shower ??

I’ll get some pics vids and more details about my trip up soon :thumbup: :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
What's your plate? HG FTT by any chance? With Recaros in? I'm sure we met on Saturday when I was going behind you on the nordschleife parking lot with my dark silver one. And those black spots, I've noticed them on my Mini aswell. My bet was some oil when going crazy maybe? Hopefully not the cat going, don't want new headers ?

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
What's your plate? HG FTT by any chance? With Recaros in? I'm sure we met on Saturday when I was going behind you on the nordschleife parking lot with my dark silver one. And those black spots, I've noticed them on my Mini aswell. My bet was some oil when going crazy maybe? Hopefully not the cat going, don't want new headers ?

Yep that will be me :) :thumbup1:

The stuff on the boot is defo the inside of cat. There were bigger bits of honeycomb that I took off but dropped trying to take a photo of it :laugh:

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #345 (Edited)
Right then, a few pics from my weekend at the Ring :).

I hit an ominous mileage on the way out there… although with no break downs or faults maybe this signified an exorcism within the car :laugh:

The mini was by far the poor relation of the group travelling out not being able to hit much more than 140mph on the Autobahn but held its head high when actually out on the Nordschleife.

This was the group of cars I travelled with….

Having driven the 570s on the rounds around the Ring this thing truly changed my perception of what a fast car is. I’ve previously driven my mates 992 Turbo S, Carrera GTS, AMG GT & Audi R8 V10 prior, all of which were fantastic cars…. But the 570s is another level. The feel of the brake pedal being under servo’d is sublime and the steering and grip is fantastic…. Kids being put up for sale as we speak to fund one :laugh:

Some of the other more exotic or interesting machines gracing the Green Hell

Both weekend days were littered with closures, think I only managed 3 laps without yellow flags. There were some significant accidents and a couple of lengthy closures. Thoughts go out to the occupants of this car and hope all are well and recovering, was very sobering to see

The mini was a blast on track as ever…. Under powered on the long uphill drag from Bergwerk to the Karusell... not sure why I was expecting that to have changed :laugh: Most other places it felt good, especially through the twistier more technical sections like Hatzenbach, Wipperman / Eschbach.

Some obligatory pics of the mini on the ring

One of the outstanding questions I had before I left for the trip was on the new AD08RS vs the outgoing AD08R. Would they have the same level of grip?

I probably need a day on a circuit I’m more familiar with but my gut is telling me no they aren’t. As an example under hard braking I am triggering the ABS where are previously I don’t remember doing that. Its only minor changes in grip level, will have to wait and see.

Hopefully I will have some lap footage to share later…. Only have 6 laps actually recorded :crying: once again I have hours of footage of trips to the petrol station and track closures from not turning the camera off running out of both battery and memory card space :crying:

·
Registered
196 Posts
So when you coming again? I'll make sure to get on track with you for a lap then. At least managed to "meet up" with you tho haha.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
So when you coming again? I'll make sure to get on track with you for a lap then. At least managed to "meet up" with you tho haha.

I’m trying to justify coming back in September but not sure the bank manager will agree :(

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
Would be cool, but yeah trips like that ain't cheap. Just count the money in laps, let alone fuel and place to sleep etc.

Yeah I got through 6 tanks ‘commuting’ plus my train, 4 nights hotel, breakdown cover, insurance and food and beer money.

Adds up to a very expensive weekend :blush:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Isn't insurance on the Nordschleife like 1000 bucks alone? Talked about that with the brits at Ringspares last year.
But as long as the Mini made it back in one piece (cat doesn't count) it was well worth the time. I'd like to go to the UK aswell with my Mini for once and drive around some of those nice streets or on track.
Landscape here is superb on the other hand.
When you are here the next time it might be worth asking the "Clio boys" (friends of me, can rent their clios on track aswell) at the Crown in Adenau for a rental room. :)

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #353 (Edited)
So looks like I managed to record the best part of fuck all on track. Think the fake GoPro has had it day..... along with my errors of recording hours of pointless shit like going to the petrol station :blush: :laugh:

I also have footage where it’s turned on and off and recorded in the car park with no doors opening :blink:

Here’s one of the few laps I have :crying: :laugh: :laugh:

Listening back the car has also got louder, supercharger has become fainter on the recordings indicating the cat is becoming no more :thumbdown: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
5,954 Posts
One of my oem cats that I ‘tomcated’ had eroded away, a fair bit was missing, no lights on the dash, but I changed it to a fresh one I had in my stash of mini parts when I replaced the flexi and got the cat fanned up the same as the decat pipe so I can swap between the two.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
So I’ve had an interesting month or so with the mini without even using it :confused1:

I actually put the car up for sale :scared: ..... then 3 days later when a serious offer to buy was on the table I then panicked and took it off sale pretty quickly :laugh: Life is meaning I’m not getting enough time to use it so seemed a waste just sat there, thought I’d sell up and track the 140i occasionally.

Then I decided that was a stupid idea so looks like the mini will be staying for the foreseeable :laugh:

So with that in mind I’ve finally gotten round to putting on something that I bought 2 years ago

And while I was at it thought I’d add a little more :)

Normal service will resume, I’ll be back on track at some point this month and then I’ll be saving beer tokens to take a trip back to see Sean to finally get a diff chucked in :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #356
So was back out on track yesterday...... and ended up in a field :confused1: :laugh:

Booked on with Mazda On Track, inner circuit in the morning, outer in the afternoon.

Morning was rubbish, combination of layout and TDO instructions left only 2 passing places so lots of slow trains of cars. Afternoon was much better.

The AD08RS are definitely a step backwards from the old ones. The grip levels are lower everywhere, accelerating, braking, lateral grip. Not sure where to go tyre wise when they need replacing.

The lack of grip left me feeling desperate for a diff..... previously there have only been the odd occasions where I missed a diff. Struggled on a lot of corners to get any power down which saw cars I’d have previously kept with disappearing into the distance. Frustrating.

Now the bit I’m finding hard to believe. The mini has now done 2000 miles, 2 days at the Nurburgring, a track day, a stint as a plough :laugh: and nothing has broken or fallen off it.... I’m not sure how to feel about this :laugh:

·
Registered
196 Posts
So was back out on track yesterday...... and ended up in a field :confused1:

Booked on with Mazda On Track, inner circuit in the morning, outer in the afternoon.

Morning was rubbish, combination of layout and TDO instructions left only 2 passing places so lots of slow trains of cars. Afternoon was much better.

The AD08RS are definitely a step backwards from the old ones. The grip levels are lower everywhere, accelerating, braking, lateral grip. Not sure where to go tyre wise when they need replacing.

The lack of grip left me feeling desperate for a diff..... previously there have only been the odd occasions where I missed a diff. Struggled on a lot of corners to get any power down which saw cars I’d have previously kept with disappearing into the distance. Frustrating.

Now the bit I’m finding hard to believe. The mini has now done 2000 miles, 2 days at the Nurburgring, a track day, a stint as a plough and nothing has broken or fallen off it.... I’m not sure how to feel about this
Feel good about it, I broke two axles in a combination of few laps on the Nordschleife haha.
So you are the second guy who says that about the "new Neovas". I was thinking going with them when the Federals are fully worn, but second bad opinion I'm not going to then.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
looks fortunate you didn't land on one of those concrete lumps

if you were happy on the previous version just go back if they still do them when required? I must admit the AD08R is growing on me now I've pushed them a little more but still not a 595RS-R, just compromising for the wet potential,

It's frustrating in those queues, if you bail on the session it seems some others also do, coming back out at the same time, so I sometimes hang on and work my way through. Where was this?

drop it off with me today, I'll give you a lift home, and you'll have your diff for next weekend sometime ;O)

glad it's maybe renewing some experiences for reliability.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
Any video of the excursion off track?
I will have... it won’t look exciting though. Lost the brakes thought I could still make the chicane but couldn’t so ended up driving off into the field despite having my foot as hard as I could on the brakes :laugh:

341 - 360 of 396 Posts