MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 401 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So thought I'd chuck up a project thread as it seems to be the done thing on here to introduce myself and my car :)

I've moved to the mini world as the track bug had bitten hard and tracking my last car was no longer practical. Running 420bhp / 440lbft it was a riot on track....

As much fun as it might have been for the last couple of years it was just to heavy and went through tyres and brakes at a rate I was no longer willing to pay for.

So that led me onto looking for alternatives. The Focus had bags of character so I wanted something else characterful to replace it :)

Having never owned a supercharged car before I'm hoping that the mini and it's supercharger whine can fill the requirement of characterful and keep me interested in it :)

So this is what I've ended up with :)

A 2002 cooper s with 5 owners and 58k on the clock :)

Cheeky snap taken just after picking it up and what will be its 1st of many fuel stops. From 6ft away looks amazing. Any closer it has a few tell tale signs of its age but in reasonable condition.

Spec list is decent (although since buying and spending some time on here the branding associated to a lot of it isn't that well received).

Cars Spec
GT Tuning 260 kit
P-Torque Remap (260 bhp with supporting graph but more on that later :sad:)
Optimised bypass valve
High Temp Iridium Spark Plugs
GT Tuning Top Mount Intercooler with GT Tuning diffuser
GT Tuning Snoot Boots
GT Tuning 17% Reduced Supercharger Pulley
GT Tuning Reduced Drive Belt
GT Tuning Twin Bearing Idler Pulley
GT Tuning Induction Kit
GT Tuning Exhaust ReRoute Pipe
GT Tuning Manifold
GT Tuning Stage 4 Cylinder Head
Schrick Camshaft
440cc Fuel Injectors

BC RM coilovers
AP Racing 4 pot 304mm brake kit
BF Goodridge brake lines
Rear Seat Delete
Recaro Pole Position Seats
TRS 4 point harnesses
GT Tuning Strut Brace
GT Tuning Lower Chasis Brace
GT Tuning Rear Upper Chasis Brace
Atomspeed Air Intake

Life with the car hasn't started as I'd have hoped.

The price point I was buying at I knew I'd have a few niggles but work and family commitments and the fact my only trusted garage is fully booked until mid September has meant progress has been slow going on the mini.

So what's happened so far?

Some of this

To find bits like this

It's also been for a trip to the Dyno to check its health and power outputs

And made nowhere near the power it should've.... But at least it's healthy :crying::laugh:

Since then Its had its open air filter binned for a standard airbox and some boost leaks fixed and an Atomspeed scope added...... And it is feeling much nippier :)

Bits to go on over the next week or so

Pagid RS29 Font Pads
Mintex 1144 Rear Pads
New inner ball joints
Federal 595rs-r's
Orranje airbox
And a service

Future plans
Keep it mechanically in A1 condition really
Track the fuck out of it
Safety Devices Rear cage
Back on the Dyno to check health and power again

I'll try and keep this updated with any changes, additions, repairs (most likely :huh: :laugh:) and most importantly updates from trackdays with findings and experiences from them :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Welcome! Nice mini the DS cars always look good as track cars. And those focus are alright in a straight line. It would toast a mini but come to the twists and they not so good mini would eat em haha.

Explains alot why you didn't hit the gave figure when GTT is involved... But no more about that. Good luck with the build dude

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome! Nice mini the DS cars always look good as track cars. And those focus are alright in a straight line. It would toast a mini but come to the twists and they not so good mini would eat em haha.

Explains alot why you didn't hit the gave figure when GTT is involved... But no more about that. Good luck with the build dude

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Time will tell on the focus vs mini in the corners.... The focus also had a decent spec list and on coilovers and APs would surprise a lot on track...... Although I hope you're right as my mini Defo doesn't have horsepower going for it :laugh:

Slowly going to replace the bits stopping it seeing 250bhp and get it nice and healthy to drive to and from track after being given death round it all day is the plan :)

·
/Overcompensate
717 Posts
Good to see someone bought a modified car, even with some crappy bits you still saved a lot of money I bet.

The brakes, coilovers and seats are epic.

With a good head and cam you would be damn fast on the track.

Look into an oil cooler and baffled sump for track work, and also a better intercooler to keep the power from dropping.

Keeping temps down is the key to a reliable track car. Well, that and a good tune.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Good to see someone bought a modified car, even with some crappy bits you still saved a lot of money I bet.

The brakes, coilovers and seats are epic.

With a good head and cam you would be damn fast on the track.

Look into an oil cooler and baffled sump for track work, and also a better intercooler to keep the power from dropping.

Keeping temps down is the key to a reliable track car. Well, that and a good tune.
Thanks, buying already modded or getting a dirt cheap base car were musts for me. Personally think I ended up with both with this car once I've sorted the issues, most of which are normal maintenance items.... Just frustrating they need doing straight away but knew that when I bought it.

Car has GT Tuning stage 4 head and Shrick Cam..... No idea if they classify as being good though :laugh:

Temp reduction / stability on track is a must for me. Already looking at fmic's. Will decide what to do once I've managed to get it on track at some point in September :)

·
Bugger
25,320 Posts
At least you didn't pay for the GTT stuff new (if you did then I'm sorry...)

Theres a few changes to make to help. I would junk the GTT intercooler as it is a shit heap of a thing, ditto the silicone boots. The stock boots are by far the best design as they have bellows build into them for a good reason. Also the GTT hot air intake is proven to loose BHP over the stock air box with a panel filter. If you want an upgrade I would look at the Orranjie Stealth Box (GTT also ripped of the design of this for theirs...).

The GTT stage 4 head and sherick aren't bad, there are better options but with a decent tune and some larger injectors (not from GTT or P Fail), RMW or 1320 should be able to advise on tuning to a far higher level.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,147 Posts
Great looking car and exciting to see what personal touches you put on it

MOG on facebook is your friend when you want rid of the GTT bits. They love shiny stuff on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bugger
25,320 Posts
Great looking car and exciting to see what personal touches you put on it

MOG on facebook is your friend when you want rid of the GTT bits. They love shiny stuff on there.

If its shiny, makes fuck all power or even better looses power or says 'JCW' MOG are over it quicker than a tramp on chips...

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At least you didn't pay for the GTT stuff new (if you did then I'm sorry...)

Theres a few changes to make to help. I would junk the GTT intercooler as it is a shit heap of a thing, ditto the silicone boots. The stock boots are by far the best design as they have bellows build into them for a good reason. Also the GTT hot air intake is proven to loose BHP over the stock air box with a panel filter. If you want an upgrade I would look at the Orranjie Stealth Box (GTT also ripped of the design of this for theirs...).

The GTT stage 4 head and sherick aren't bad, there are better options but with a decent tune and some larger injectors (not from GTT or P Fail), RMW or 1320 should be able to advise on tuning to a far higher level.
Thanks for your input and help..... Only thing I've paid for so far is the car itself, all GT Tuning stuff paid for by its previous owner :)

Would you suggest another top mount or front mount? Orranje airbox is on the list of parts to go on.

The car has 440cc injectors according to the recipets, are you suggesting bigger still and then an alternative map?

·
Resident Gobshite
4,147 Posts
If you plan on tracking it hard, get rid of the A/C and fork out for a front mount. What you lose in boost is more than compensated for in cooler IATs

Reactions: Fat Controller

·
Bugger
25,320 Posts
Thanks for your input and help..... Only thing I've paid for so far is the car itself, all GT Tuning stuff paid for by its previous owner :)

Would you suggest another top mount or front mount? Orranje airbox is on the list of parts to go on.

The car has 440cc injectors according to the recipets, are you suggesting bigger still and then an alternative map?
If its got 440cc's on they will be more than enough unless your heading over 300 bhp which with an M45 isn't possible. I would look at having RMW map it as they have the most exp. You will need to rent a Dyno (Lohen rent theirs out as they don't map R53's) and book a slot with Jan. Intercooler wise as Jake said if this is your track slag then the new GRS FMIC is the only option to consider, if its a daily and you want to keep the AC then a GRS and a bigger scoop would be on the cards. Don't even let P Torque attempt to map a car with 440's or 550's as I've heard nothing but horror stories.

·
Resident Gobshite
4,147 Posts
Intercooler wise as Jake said if this is your track slag then the new GRS FMIC is the only option to consider, if its a daily and you want to keep the AC then a GRS and a bigger scoop would be on the cards.
Atomspeed scoop and Airtec top mounts seem to be a favourite on here and work well.

I'd like to see more people buy a Pro-Alloy top mount as they do away with one of the horns and look a brilliant bit of kit. You'll need to buy through 1320 I believe.

Reactions: Fat Controller

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If its got 440cc's on they will be more than enough unless your heading over 300 bhp which with an M45 isn't possible. I would look at having RMW map it as they have the most exp. You will need to rent a Dyno (Lohen rent theirs out as they don't map R53's) and book a slot with Jan. Intercooler wise as Jake said if this is your track slag then the new GRS FMIC is the only option to consider, if its a daily and you want to keep the AC then a GRS and a bigger scoop would be on the cards. Don't even let P Torque attempt to map a car with 440's or 550's as I've heard nothing but horror stories.
Thanks for the great advice. I'll do some research on that map.

The car was mapped by P-Tourque on 440's back in 2008 or 2010 (can't remember without looking) so that accidents already happened :laugh:

·
Bugger
25,320 Posts
Atomspeed scoop and Airtec top mounts seem to be a favourite on here and work well.

I'd like to see more people buy a Pro-Alloy top mount as they do away with one of the horns and look a brilliant bit of kit. You'll need to buy through 1320 I believe.

I've not seen the pro alloy on the field yet it will be interesting to see if their claims stack to it. On the other hand I would never recommend airtec, its very overpriced considering its an altered hobo tec...

Reactions: Holtie75

·
Resident Gobshite
4,147 Posts
I've not seen the pro alloy on the field yet it will be interesting to see if their claims stack to it. On the other hand I would never recommend airtec, its very overpriced considering its an altered hobo tec...
That's why I'd like to see people buy it! I know it's pricey but haven't seen any real world results.

As for the airtec... I think 2 or 3 people on here have swapped from a GRS to an Airtec. Plus, the airtec works well with an enlarged scoop!

This thread is making me want a 53...

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
That's why I'd like to see people buy it! I know it's pricey but haven't seen any real world results.

As for the airtec... I think 2 or 3 people on here have swapped from a GRS to an Airtec. Plus, the airtec works well with an enlarged scoop!

This thread is making me want a 53...
Get one ! :thumbup1:

Car / project is looking good, a few niggles are path of the course but I'm sure you'll end up with a great car. I'm also glad the scoop hasn't been one of the low points haha. It will work well with an intercooler as Jake says.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Get one ! :thumbup1:

Car / project is looking good, a few niggles are path of the course but I'm sure you'll end up with a great car. I'm also glad the scoop hasn't been one of the low points haha. It will work well with an intercooler as Jake says.
Thanks..... Scoops easily the best thing I've bought out of the 2 items that have arrived so far :laugh: Defo works :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 401 Posts