MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, so I thought I would start a bit of a project thread for my Mini, if nothing else its a good diary of all the things I'll be doing, I won't be offended if no one reads it. So, the night I bought it, the obligatory petrol station forecourt after leaving the scene. Everything works on it, its done 125,000 miles, still goes as it should and felt great despite some pretty tired crashy suspension. But for £1600 I am chuffed, was the colour combo I wanted the most too. So not going to be broken and have some love thrown at it, time will tell if that's a daft decision, but I love it already, know its a keeper and have a 5k budget to throw at it, which will be a mixture of performance and some track days and making it look good as I am a bit of a tart.

After a good clean it came up really nice too, none of the usual rust spots, a little bit of a ding on the front drivers wing that we can sort.

First job as it was simple and didn't need much thinking power was to sort the headlights out, and amazing what you can do with an hour and one of those £10 kits.... another session and they'll be sorted.

And bought a headunit for it, that was a way to make me feel 17 again, apparently the standard speakers in these are pretty good once hooked up to a better headunit, I was amazed how cheap these can be head for now? £35 for just an iPhone driven unit? Probably a weight saving item.

So plans, and I would welcome any comments any of the below as to whether its a worthwhile investment or not, or completely the wrong idea, I am not precious and will bow to people with much more knowledge and experience that my casual reading on the net.

Engine
  • Want to give the engine a bit of an overhaul first so I know all the problematic things are dealt with
  • Full service and belts and water-pump whilst the supercharger is off
  • Any seals, gaskets that have know to have issues, already got a bit of a leak from rocker cover gasket but nothing major.
  • Chains and Belts
  • Contemplating maybe getting a later Teflon Coated charger, I think I have seen some go for about £175? And do a full service rebuild on one of those, something I'd like to attempt at home.
  • Pulley 15% or 17%, would like to not do a bolt on pulley.
  • Bigger Intercooler, I have been looking at 62mm ones on eBay that seem to be an incredible bang for buck with a bit of fettling to fit
  • Iridium Plugs, Performance Coil Pack, 550cc Injectors and Magnecor Leads
  • P2 Newcam Cam
  • Miltek Non Resonated Cat Back Exhaust (This will have to happen soon as the current one is hanging on for dear life)
  • 1320 for a new map
Wheels, Brakes and Suspension
  • Coilovers - Undecided where to go on this, have to still be good on road for B lane blasting, currently swinging towards AP's with some shiny top mounts because who doesn't like a posh looking top mount
  • Bola CSR in Matte Bronze 17x8 wrapped in some nice rubber (Again tbc)
  • Whiteline rear anti roll bar
  • R56 rear trailing arms
  • Polybushes as far as the budget and capability will allow
  • R56 front brake upgrade, or possibly if something else is better for not much more effort money
Cosmetics
  • Black Aero Grilles at the front, which I have already got and black bonnet scoop
  • Orranje Rear GP style spoiler
  • Cobra Monaco buckets
  • Steering wheel is already off to Royal to be retrimmed in Alcantara

To be continued I am sure..... but its a start, my thoughts so far anyway.

·
Registered
R53 2005
18 Posts
Nice car! Who are these Royal you speak of for alcantara steering wheel covering? I like the sound of that!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think I’ve hit the first snag! The wheels I’d like Bola CSR’s are only available in 8J.... I know that’s doable but it sounds like more faff than it Might be worth. Might be back to the drawing board

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Autec Wizards were my first choice I think, wanted to try and get something a bit different though. And the Indi Blue and Bronze look would have been great!

·
Registered
2005 Mini R53 Works
39 Posts
This is the Autec Clubsport, weight 7.7 kg , the Autec Wizard 8.6 kg (17 inch) Don't know the difference in price. Ordered in Germany 538£ Incl shipping.

Ron

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, whilst I figure out what to do wheel and Coilovers wise I have gone ahead and ordered the Whiteline Anti Roll Bar and picked up some Drop links whilst I was there! Exciting!

·
Registered
2005 Mini R53 Works
39 Posts
Brexit hasn't helped me, there's a decent tax on everything when I order something in the UK. Germany is now a lot cheaper. Too bad because in the UK there is a lot more special stuff to be found.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brexit is utter bollocks! I have seen some stuff from Germany that in the past I wouldn't have thought twice about ordering! Now, I can just see it being a Royal Pain in Ass!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Brexit is utter bollocks! I have seen some stuff from Germany that in the past I wouldn't have thought twice about ordering! Now, I can just see it being a Royal Pain in Ass!
I’ll take having had a Covid vaccine over a set of wheels.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts