MiniTorque.com banner

241 - 254 of 254 Posts

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #244 (Edited)
GP/BMW 135i BBK Comparison

OK. thought this may be of interest to some on the MT community.
these just landed!
they are focking HUGE!
lets compare them to the FJCW Brembos>

GP2/BMW 135i Brake weight including pads(new)=6.6KG
FJCW Brembo Brake weight including pads(used)=
4.1KG

GP2/BMW 135i Brake Disc weight(new)=9.7KG
FJCW Brembo Brake Disc weight(used)=
7.5KG

edited, correction made. thanks themis

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Red Dot Racing

Took a trip to Red Dot Racing on tuesday to get my uncles 530d mapped

car dynoed in at 226bhp and 404lb torque.
satndard is 214bhp.

040620134932.jpg

file sent to la italia for augusto to tinker with.
then.....car dynoed in at 279bhp and 484lb torque!
on the road its a big transformation. car has come alive!

some other interesting cars they had...
040620134936.jpg
this was their own car. 135i
with a custom exhaust built in house. and remapped
this was pushing the same power as an m3. 420bhp!

040620134934.jpg 040620134938.jpg

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
OK. thought this may be of interest to some on the MT community.
these just landed!
they are focking HUGE!
lets compare them to the FJCW Brembos>

GP2/BMW 135i Brake weight including pads(new)=9.7KG
FJCW Brembo Brake weight including pads(used)=7.5KG

GP2/BMW 135i Brake Disc weight(new)=6.6KG
FJCW Brembo Brake Disc weight(used)=4.1KG
I think you made a mistake there Shams. It's the other way around...the FJCW brake caliper with pads is 4,1kg and the FJCW brake disc 7,5kg.
So the 135i will probably be brake disc 9,7kg and caliper with pads 6,6kg.

Please confirm...

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
I think you made a mistake there Shams. It's the other way around...the FJCW brake caliper with pads is 4,1kg and the FJCW brake disc 7,5kg.
So the 135i will probably be brake disc 9,7kg and caliper with pads 6,6kg.

Please confirm...
you are right.
just weighed the fjcw disc again. weight was 7.52 kg
thanks. the only one that uses his intellect

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #248 (Edited)
Walnut Blast engine clean on FJCW R56 40k Miles Review

Walnut Blast engine clean on FJCW R56 40k Miles Review

Just completed a good walnut blasting session on a 2009 FJCW with 40k miles.
Background info on the car:
40k miles.
Car regularly serviced every 6000 miles.

How the car is feeling before a De-coke?
As I have mentioned in this forum already. The cars feels very hesitant. Not giving full power and there seems to be a restriction somewhere.
As you build up the revs, it is slightly choking itself and the power is not what it used to be before 30k miles. It used to be smooth, responsive and I would be comfortable lining up anything at the lights. (kind of). I started to feel out of touch with it, thinking, what it can be over the last 10k miles? Surely it cant be a straight de coke problem were my thoughts.

My expectations on what the camera will find:
I’m not expecting to find as much carbon as the cooper s we did last week. That had over 80k miles on the odometer.
That can be found here>
http://www.minitorque.com/forum/f847/just-done-walnut-blast-r56-cooper-s-jcw-engine-saikou-michi-occ-fitted-35523/

As you can see almost, if not as bad as the cooper s mentioned in the link above!
BAD news as its means that cars around 25k to 30k miles are already drastically coked up.
Good news is that it seems that this has been THE problem and a clean up may just do the trick.

Some after pics.

Cleaned out and ready for the drive.

After: Test Run, Drive and small Blast.
The moment of truth. Key locked into ignition. START button pressed…. Waiting….
Car doesn’t want to start! After a few worrying attempts, it hesitantly springs to life. Clears its throat and its sits there nicely idling. I let it fully warm up and adapt to the new lungs its been given. Just like a chain smoker puffing away 80 cigs a day, been given a fresh pair of lungs. Truly a great breath of fresh air moment! As I eagerly wait for it to fully warm, I pack away all the tools and freshen up.

I push the sport button and off we go. Notice that a little stab of the throttle and the cars responds well, it does feels nice. As I make my way to a nice private road. I begin the notice the car feels smooth. The jerky, hesitation feeling seems to be gone!
I now fully let it open, not so much in 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2nd as there is a factory torque limiter in those gears. And it seems to hit the torque limiter very quickly. I cheeky grin grows on my face. 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear> 5900 rpm! 1[SUP]st[/SUP] to 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] to 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and when in 4[SUP]th[/SUP] a quick glance and the Big Ben and triple figures!
WOW! Not felt that acceleration for about a year! The beast is back! The surge and smoothness is undeniable. Car feels like a caged lion let loose!

Overview:
The grin is un-washable on my face. As GT and Lohen have shown on their dyno before and after graphs. The de coke procedure does bring the baby back to life. And as many have posted on here and on NAM, the R56 definitely can do with a clean of the intake ports.

·
Learning!
5,803 Posts
Good info mate, glad it worked - you get B&A dynos ??

Also the pcv pipe going over the strut brace looks very high - does it not foul on the bonnet deadening? Wondering because if it does the pipe could be getting squished

I have a nice jubilee clip shaped depression in mine now lol

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
Good info mate, glad it worked - you get B&A dynos ??

Also the pcv pipe going over the strut brace looks very high - does it not foul on the bonnet deadening? Wondering because if it does the pipe could be getting squished

I have a nice jubilee clip shaped depression in mine now lol
pipe seems ok. no before and after dynos as i just wanted to get it done before the rain came!
i knew after reading some logs of GT and lohen and some on NAM that the gains were definately there. but the smoothness is back. the power is resored and the hesitantcy eliminated

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #253
I was wondering what have happened with the boost controller Sham. Have you fitted it? Any update?
Hi mate hope all is good. Wonderful project you have, still click your mini thread time to time for updates.
Been carzy busy with many other projects of late.
I didnt install the boost controller as i just loved looking at it and didnt have the time to get it done and sold it.
will get an update soon.

Those who were enquiring about decoke can contact me through ebay. Thanks for all the support and many many succesful cleans of the last 2 years. Been getting some fantastic results.

For those that wanted info on "possible" decoke symptoms they are as follows:
1. Rough idle.
2. hesitation through out the rev range.
3. lack of power at the top end. about 4000rpm. powers just dives down.
4. Not responsive accelaration.
These are the main things to look out for.
But they could also be a number of other related issues like (this is not an exhaustive list):
1. faulty HPFP high pressure fule pump.
2. Faulty 02 sensor. ( located at the top of the CAT)
3. fuel injector issue.
4. coil pack issue.

But in general, all R56 Mini Turbo engined variants need a decoke by arround 38,000 miles. and some are known to start decoking as early as 20,00miles. With most people ignoring or not realising until the problem has really manifested around 60,000 miles.
I would advise do it around every 30,000 - 40,000 miles without an occ fitted. and double that if occ fitted.

Catch you guys soon......

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Great project and a good read. Meth will stop future carbon build up. Had the same issue on my 335i.
Having just bought the Mrs a Cooper S i am now looking at a JCW so this thread has been a great help.

241 - 254 of 254 Posts