MiniTorque.com banner

221 - 240 of 254 Posts

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
More JDM boost controllers...you'll enjoy this big time Sham!
hawk eye.^^^
thanks to you, im £600 out of pocket. the features are too impressive. will reveal later.

you inspired me.

i have a question, will start another thread if i dont get suffient satisfactory reply.
the r56 cooper s and fjcw restrict the power in the first two gears. when you put your foot down flat, you feel less power in the power band. if you apply throttle slowly, you get much better power delivery at the expense of waiting and building the boost more slower. Not good for a drag race of the line.
Question: how does the r56 restrict power? is it by way of restricting boost? or fuel? timing?
and what have owners done to adress this issue? no guessing please. if you dont know then. ::getcoat:: only saying this cos dont want garbage info.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Torque limiting, I'm afraid. Stock ECU will have a element of PID loop controlling "so called" clutch and powertrain protection.

It is a complex calculation using the engine speed sensor vs ground speed using a load of variables to control fun.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
hawk eye.^^^
thanks to you, im £600 out of pocket. the features are too impressive. will reveal later.

you inspired me.

i have a question, will start another thread if i dont get suffient satisfactory reply.
the r56 cooper s and fjcw restrict the power in the first two gears. when you put your foot down flat, you feel less power in the power band. if you apply throttle slowly, you get much better power delivery at the expense of waiting and building the boost more slower. Not good for a drag race of the line.
Question: how does the r56 restrict power? is it by way of restricting boost? or fuel? timing?
and what have owners done to adress this issue? no guessing please. if you dont know then. ::getcoat:: only saying this cos dont want garbage info.
DId you order the HKS easy writer too? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365865444.635061.jpg

Inspiration is a good thing...I hope!
Get this hooked up right and enjoy the benefits...3D mapping is also available (boost vs rpm vs throttle position)!

Regarding the power restriction in the two first gears, my personal experience is that the ECU restricts boost. When the stock N75 isn't controlling the wastegate actuator, problems solved...
You and the HKS boost controller you'll be using will be responsible for the boost achieved in any gear...
Having said that, just to let you know that the APEXi BC has a gear-dependent function, so that you manipulate the boost in every gear (for quick launches).

Lee, how is the stock ECU limiting the torque? By lowering the boost?

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Torque limiting, I'm afraid. Stock ECU will have a element of PID loop controlling "so called" clutch and powertrain protection.
It is a complex calculation using the engine speed sensor vs ground speed using a load of variables to control fun.
thanks lee. now the question begs.
how the F%^$ do you over ride this. i dont care if my transmission blows.

so using an electronic boost controller will have no effect on this? correct.

question to themis.
did you find the above statements true when you installed you ebc?

·
Themis
1,791 Posts

question to themis.
I have some interesting data logs from my last week's hoon with different boost settings. Let me have a look at them and find out whether the boost changes relatively to gears...

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
the easy writer was necessary with the previous hks evc. the new evc has this built in. tuning on the go. with playback on runs and all graphed up. speed/rpm/boost/throttle position. you then use this map/graph to alter your boost mapping.
i dont think its got gear by gear maps, but it has speed related mapping. integrated with throttle input, boost pressure and rpm.
i will post all this info very soon.

great input themis and lee. this is what i like. lets get to the bottom of this.
how does it limit torque. and is there a way to over ride this nanny.

another question themis.
you mentioned that from your experience it is boost that restricts. so was this noticably true when you installed the apexi. did the restriction dissapear???

peace out. i will check this thread later on.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Regarding R56,

Used to work for HKS, and I couldnt work out any boost controller 3d axis pre EVC 5, they had 3 buttons for 400 functions. mental. The funniest was the camp system, dead fish everywhere..lol (jap electronic pet culture)

The stock boost controller runs at 20hz inverted If I remember correctly, and the engine power is controller in the same way as the TC, torque target. Never looked at this but I would have to say it would push a reduction value on all tables as the torque value is a main axis reference. When remapping its the first thing you move..

·
Registered
3,198 Posts

question to themis.
The ECU can't read actual torque - there is no sensor , so it must calculate torque
What can it use? - gear selection , rpm , boost, timing , air temp , flow of fuel ( injectors times)
Then it must use pre set limits , and calcs , by far the most important is boost -
I bet if it uses gear selection and if it always thought that it was in 6th - the limit would be raised high enough
Can't think that gear selection has other uses ? - sorry guessing - lol

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Had a look at my data logs and I can confirm that second gear acceleration has a very small difference (smaller than 0,05bar) in boost compared to other gears, which I think is from the lower load achieved and not the ECU limitation. As Lee said torque can be calculated by various sensors, tables etc, but what's more important is how does the stock ECU limits the torque and I think that's via lowering boost (which is logical too).

Have you logged boost pressure? What limitations are you experiencing with the gears 1 and 2 compared to others?

221 - 240 of 254 Posts