MiniTorque.com banner

201 - 220 of 254 Posts

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
ok. seems that the oil pipe i was supplied by a reputable motor racing stockist was way to rigid. when it was set and cold. it would not seat properly and leak oil. i have purchased a more flexible pipe now. it now needs a solid 90 degree metal pipe to go arounf the radiator. other wise it just collapes on it self. just waiting for that to arrive.....

like minimania says tome and time again " who knows?!?! "
only time will tell if this on demand system works. quess im the test mule.

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
Thumbs up my friend for the install and the feedback!
The work you have done is great!
I guess this is for those that can afford to loose the aircon and frees so much space increasing the flow to the water radiator too.
Definitely better oil cooling than my solution, how much? will have to be confirmed through time after some logging is done. Share your data and I'll share mine to help us understand what's what.
I admit that I couldn't afford to loose the aircon (I am not a girl :lol: ) due to the high temps over here but for colder climates, where the use of aircon is not so vital, this solution is offering better oil cooling than mine.
Having said that, the one I chose is race-proven too and its early signs are looking promising, as they should.

Keep up the good work Shams!

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Another fantastic update, thank you so much for this!
Thanks mate.

Some good information in this thread. Gana do the scoop mod this weekend! :D
thanks. have you done the wishbone bushes? now that is an excellent mod.

Thumbs up my friend for the install and the feedback! Thanks and same to you
The work you have done is great!
I guess this is for those that can afford to loose the aircon and frees so much space increasing the flow to the water radiator too.
Definitely better oil cooling than my solution, how much? will have to be confirmed through time after some logging is done. Share your data and I'll share mine to help us understand what's what.
yes. the only real term way is if i can get a volenteer with a jcw or a cooper s with similar power levels and have a meeting. we can directly compare and log results from various road test. like a short blast. long blast. cruising temps. start stop accelaration and then log both water and oil temps. in this way, the playing feild is level, in that the outside air temp is the same, using also the same equipment further adds credence to the test. if any one in the north west is up for this in about a months time.
I admit that I couldn't afford to loose the aircon (I am not a girl :lol: ) "pic of yourself or GTFO" due to the high temps over here but for colder climates, where the use of aircon is not so vital, this solution is offering better oil cooling than mine. it will be.
Having said that, the one I chose is race-proven too and its early signs are looking promising, as they should.
what racing series is this used in? because race proven is dependant on factors such as> does the team running this regualary rebuild the engine? maybe the oil cooler did its job for the one actual race and was discarded after that. as the cooler done its job for that race only.
Keep up the good work Shams!

·
Themis
1,791 Posts
"Pic of myself or GTFO"???

Here you are: (I am on the right...the pretty one :lol:)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365348503.550343.jpg

When I say race proven, I mean European and National Championships ran by hundreds of professional teams on the same engine which as stated in another post it revs at 8500rpm...so pretty tried and tested I reckon!

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Im just trying to get a clearer understanding. Do these teams discard the oil after every session. If yes, which i believe so, then yes, the cooler has done its job for that session. For everyday driving and for most people, that wont be so easy todo. either way, your idea of the upgraded cooler is the best ive seen out there at this time. You should start a small production line or a group buy, im sure it will be very very popular.

for those intersted in costs of the mocal remote cooler option, here is a break down roughly from the the top of my head:
1. Heavy duty mocal oil cooler 13Row 235mm(i think) £70
2. remote mocal stat £40
3. 6 x 90 degree bend pipes. £20 - £30
4. oil hose fit for purpose 2 meters £18
5. Stainless steel HI-Grip jubilee clips x20 = £20
6. oil cooler take off plate £200. this was imported from usa. It should be very cheap to make once demand rises as essentially it is an aluminium lump carved up.
7. Mocal push on fittings for oil cooler £10
8. LABOUR!!! LABOUR!!! LABOUR!!!
Total for parts alone is £383
this could be less than £300 if someone can make the take off plate.

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Always use a thermostat! Not only is it responsible for regulating the coolant temp., but it is also responsible for creating pressure within the cooling system by remaining closed during lower temp. cycles, allowing the coolant to properly circulate.

Like your cooling system, you want your oil to be between a lower and a upper range not outside. Racing has totaly different requirements than on the street., Racing you are running things at the limit. Not doing low speed or stop and go driving in cold weather. Due to condensation, and blowby issues you want the oil up to the minimum operating temprature. A thermostat alows that to happen. And then operate to keep it within a certain range. Same way a thermostat in the cooling system works. Too hot or too cold is bad for the motor, with either oil or coolant. On a track only car you may not need it, on the street you would cause any number of problems by excluding it.
A thermostat is NOT a optional part! :scared:

for those that think the oil could freeze up on the cooler side:
Oil thermostats don't fully close. Ones like the Mocal, when cold, send 10% of the oil to the cooler and the other 90% returns right back to the engine. That 10% still heats up and mixes with all the other oil all the time. When the thermostat opens, there is no cold oil hiding.

1. It helps the motor warm up faster. 2. For owners in cold climates.

·
Registered
96 Posts

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Mine is threaded £109 : ( also is your mini running any better with the air con unit gone or is there no difference?
threaded. So i suppose you are using the braided hoses. ok you must be careful how to route it as there is alot of bending todo. i was using 90` elbow piping for the bends. you do not want the braided pipes to be bent and strained to such extent that it will hamper the oil flow. easily done believe me.

"is your mini running any better with the air con unit gone or is there no difference?"
i have not tested and pushed it too that level just yet to see if it has made a difference. just done basic road tests and load tests to see if the cooler is working properly. and not leaking. if the systems maintains right pressure and boring stuff like that. i am trying todo this project on the weekend IF i get time and trying to balance it out with other commitments. i will update when i can.

that said. 9 kg is a decent drop in weight from the engine bay. and should help in accelaration and turn in. altho may be diificult to notice.
also, with the aircon ditched, frees up power being drained by it, and also the aircon pump is continuosly turning and putting some strain to the engine. to make it turn under high tension. this is now free up. can only be a good thing.

201 - 220 of 254 Posts