MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FACTORY JCW 2009 BUILD AND TUNING GUIDE / INPUT / EXPLAINED

Hi to everyone reading this.
Im making this thread or guide to show what I have done since I bought my car in april 2009. and then I will continue to the current build, that will resume in January 2011.
Im using my archive photos that I have saved over time and not every detail has been saved over time. But most thing heve been recorded and documented.

Ive been a silent member for 2 years and have not really been involved or posted much before. So I thought ill contribute my adding the thread.

Please guys, feel free to comment on what you like and dislike. On any further tips and mods.

The build focues on a 4 main things.
1. aesthetic mods to body and interior.
2. performance mods to engine.
3. performance mods to handling.
4. feedback and testing on all performance mods.

Now for the nitty gritty:

PART 1.

And ill start in chronological order from purschase to now.

Bought car in april 2009.
Specs: mini factory jcw 2009
some quick options: lea lounge red leather interior with red lined trim.
Hifi package, full Bluetooth. Sports suspension. Chrome interior.

Got a call to pick up car. Paid and off I went.

After a few weeks. Was really eager to test the car and see what its made out off.
In the lead up to the bedding in period. I got on the phone to chris at Derek woodmans mini. And ordered a some parts to enhance the image the baby. I had always in my mind of how I want it too look, and went for an aggressive style. With the sports stripes
I also ordered the following:
Jcw strut brace.
Jcw carbon & alcantara gear knob and gaiter
Matching carbon & alcantara jcw handbrake.
Jcw carbon steering wheel insert.
Carbon interior door handles.
Jcw side scuttles.
Front additional lights/fog. With black surround.

And I occupied myself with this whilst I waited.
I also got some black spray paint.
And went about de-chroming most of the chrome. To match the sports stripes and the fog lights. My brother RIZ done the painting and vinyl work. blacked out the headlight rings and the washer lid, also the rear light surrounds. Then I blacked out the bonnet scoop and the rear diffuser.
Blacked the side mirror covers too.
Some may like it and may not. But I love the black accent on a pepper white mini.

Loving the look of the car now. Really aggressive. Since I was giving the car a black accent. The next step was inevitable. May 2009………
Booked myself in at diamond wheels in stockport. Luckily I didn’t curb them yet, so was straight forward powder coated in gloss black. Looks soo cool!!!

Next had the jcw strut brace installed and in testing Felt a nice difference straight away at higher speeds.
Like on dual carriage ways and country drives.
The transition from left to right was a lot tighter and predictable. Eliminating something like 10% body roll at the front end. A good mod and a must in my books.

After many months of enjoying, learning things about the beast. i was looking at different this to further improve the balance, handling and power of the jcw.

before that......

i decided to take the plunge and do the JOEY mod and RIZ got onto it: approx august 2009

I will continue in updating this thread as I have done more to the car and haven’t had the time to do all the write up. If you need further help or advice, please comment. Some modding services may also be available if local.

·
omd
4,714 Posts
nice job on the joey mod!

the rest im not to keen on... pepper white looks awful with the black out bits, they need to be colour coded or just left chrome as it ruins the lines! and the wheels looked better silver.

Take it to a shop get them to spray the headlight and tail light rings pepper white, remove the awful vipers and drop it on some nice wheels :D

Welcome to MT!

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
i really like it, i think the Joey mod to the headlights is a bit much for me, other than that it looks good!

Glad to see you removed the stickers from the seats haha. So what other mods have you bought from Lohen/M7 etc? Have you started on the engine yet?

Dont mean to sound rude, but your guide so far just seems to be "Buy JCW bits" perhaps premature saying that without reading pt2. . .

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i really like it, i think the Joey mod to the headlights is a bit much for me, other than that it looks good!

Glad to see you removed the stickers from the seats haha. So what other mods have you bought from Lohen/M7 etc? Have you started on the engine yet?

Dont mean to sound rude, but your guide so far just seems to be "Buy JCW bits" perhaps premature saying that without reading pt2. . .
thanks for the good feedback and comments
as i started the over 18 months ago. i didnt have too much idea on other after market bits and went with the jcw ones.

and yes. part 2 is where the engine mods start.
over the past year. ive been reading and researching, and the aftermarket tuners like, m7, forge etc have devolped some bits for the r56.
so i slowly starting going towards that direction.
you`ll have to wait for part 2 for more. i will write up very soon, in next day or two.

thanks again

·
Registered
8,647 Posts
Look forward to reading it! Take a look at Evolve in the Sellers section, they are doing great stuff with the R56 just now. Worth speaking to ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Steady work so far could go lower with them wheels as that would give you a much meaner look IMO, not keen on the stripes on the roof though. I can recommend miltek sports cat great option for the R56.
I have to say evolve do look good as they seem to be testing products all the time i am still waiting for there turbo upgrade for mcs R56.

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Hiya, great looking JCW, loving the joey lights. And cheers for mentioning me :thumbup1: Looking forward to seeing what work you've had done to the JCW after Part 1. I hope it includes coilovers... The JCW deserves it.

PW is not an easy colour. I can't stand chrome or silver on PW, dunno why. Many people go with the PW/Black theme, which can get a bit out of hand and turn the car into a 'panda look'. Good job on having the wheels powder coated black, but that's personal. I seem to be one of the remaining few on here who still fancy black wheels. I agree with King James re colour coding the head light and tail light surrounds.

Welcome to MT :cools:

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
thanks for the feedback. regarding the ecu tuning. ive had it remapped. will cover later.

thanks pd240bhp for the advice. i am looking keenly into that miltek sports cat. you mean the downpipe? right?
any one with a detailed feedback on that will defo help here.

tdlc: yo man. good write you got going. been looking at that closely. and following your progress. made me do the same here. i like you passion for throttle and i share that.
regarding coilovers: if i was to get them, they will be the meister r`s. BUT.
practically speaking. i dont think they will be for me. its not a track car for me. a daily drive to and from everywhere.
not practical with humps and bumps. potholes and the rest. if i was living in spain or something, then yes. the baby would be dropped low....
looks alot better lower. agreed.
apart from the asthetics of a good looking car. coil overs, once set up right. can enhance the handling quite a bit.
with that in mind. i had thought about improving the handling, response in other ways, which i would imagine alot of people may agree, maybe more to their liking. will cover in part 2 and 3.

since you guys mentioned some of the black bits and roof stripes. i will look into this. may photoshop them to see what i come up with.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I'd get rid of the stripes too mate, do the beltline black, get the headlight rings, taillight rings, side scuttles and door handles painted PW for the ultimate dechrome. And get some tint spray on the sidelights too. I'd probably lose the spots too, or get some spot light covers for them, they're pointless with xenons anyway!

Fyi the roads in Spain are worse lol. If you don't wana go the coilover route then whack some Eibach springs on it with the standard dampers at least, it's a cheap mod but it makes the wheelgap look that much more manageable cus the 4x4 look is so not cool! Also possibly replace plastidip for paint or even vinyl for a bit more street cred!

·
Throttle Junkie
3,730 Posts
Even if you don't slam the car, coilovers are the way to go imho. It's not just about ride height, but also the adjustability of the damping and ability to adjust camber. Even if you do not take the car to the track, coilovers are essential to improve ride quality and handling. I live in central London, known for its towering speed bumps and although I do have the occasional slight scrapeage, it seems doable (just!) so far with my ride height. Just need to adapt driving a bit more to the conditions (bumps) blahblahblahblahblah

Now, bring on Part 2 and 3!

·
omd
4,714 Posts
Even if you don't slam the car, coilovers are the way to go imho. It's not just about ride height, but also the adjustability of the damping and ability to adjust camber. Even if you do not take the car to the track, coilovers are essential to improve ride quality and handling. I live in central London, known for its towering speed bumps and although I do have the occasional slight scrapeage, it seems doable (just!) so far with my ride height. Just need to adapt driving a bit more to the conditions (bumps) blahblahblahblahblah

Now, bring on Part 2 and 3!
spot on. also, dont get springs as they are lame

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Like wise run mine on KWv1 best thing i did to the car , found once set up they offer some adjustability for ride height yet still drivable round the streets , as stated you have to change your style of driving around most towns.
Reason i went for KWv1 is i have very limited knowledge of set up in cars so its just fit and forget once the height is to your taste.

·
Bugger
25,338 Posts
KW's and misters actaully ride better than stock, and the misters are not meant for slamming cars, you can drop 30mm and rid that nasty gap and get nowhere near being too low.

ive run coilovers on both my minis which are used every day to and from town, uni, etc and on the rather rutted and nasty back roads up here, and guess what my car hasnt melted or imploded, now as many will attest on here i dont like a comfy ride, but even on cross which were track spec it was nicer than stock buy a long way and as the dampers were so firm it never had an issue on speed bumps and bad roads as well, it had no body movement :lol:

on the looks its a bit messy for me, troy is spot on with his suggestions

and please lower it, its a mini not a 4x4, even my forrester has less wheel gap than some minis and that goes in mud and snow etc

·
S13 Race developements
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
part 2.1 and 2.2

PART 2.
Im going to post in smaller increments rather than with big chunks at a time. That way, we can all appreciate and comment at a more stable and steady pace on each tip or upgrade/mod.

2.1 ITG pro filter (panel)

I Installed this to keep the stock look at to keep it as close to factory.
To improve the air flow and intake air passing through the system.

Just found this link for £41 here
Vecchio do it for £55 special offer!!! (that’s where I bought mine)

2.2 TYRES
It was finally time to change the tyres. After reading many reviews about runflats.(Dunlop sp sport) they were good tyres. But prone to many many punctures for some reasons. Like once a month.
I decided to ditch them on the first possible chance.
I went for the TOYO T1R 205 45 R17. here

What can I say. The grip is phenomenal. Amazing. Like a track car.
The speed and confidence they give you is soo true like in their reviews.
But the holy grail of these tyres are:
The WET.
10/10. its like driving on slick tyres in the dry. The tyres come into their own. With the traction off and 250bhp in the front wheels. Wet weather. The just STICK. Little wheel spin.
Stop the big boys in tyres ripping you off all the time. Go for something like these.
Ive just seen this review with toyo themselves:
The Proxes T1-R is the natural choice for enthusiastic drivers and is now available in an even wider range of sizes. The Proxes T1-R boasts a special performance compound and tread pattern which gives which gives incredible road holding in all conditions, especially in the wet. The V-Shaped grooves in the tread pump water away allowing the rubber to grip the road. These are bounded by circumferential grooves which allow the Proxes T1-R to give you even better wet grip whilst being quieter and longer lasting. These design elements are not just practical, they also make the tyre look spectacular on any car.
My findings agree.

And now the downside. On my third set now. From what I remember. They last like 7-8000 miles per set. Like they are some sort of super soft.
They cost me £306 for a set on ebay. Overall rating: 9/10

More to come……..

·
Premium Member
9,887 Posts
Weird, i've tried T1Rs on a mini and in the wet it was awful on every level, no grip and aquaplaned terribly. I wouldnt touch them on my own car.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts