MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found it really difficult to research how to get more out of my standard Cooper three pot, as most mods seem to be on the S, so now I've taken the plunge I wanted to pass on what I learned.

I ended up buying a Racechip RS for £200 (£170 after a cashback deal) and have now fitted it. Took 15 minutes. I was a bit skeptical about piggy back boxes, but the Racechip had way more good reviews than bad, and I wanted the ability to quickly remove if I wanted to.

I needn't have been worried! It promised an extra 25% power, about 33hp (note this was important, as my insurer wouldn't insure me if the boost was more than 25%). I don't have a dyno to test, but it feels a hell of a lot quicker, and I know it's not just conning me because I've tested on a favourite bend where previously I would've been near full throttle in the dry, but have felt I now have to hold back quite a bit, maybe 70% throttle vs previously 95%.

There also seems to be much better flexibility in gear when pottering around, suggesting torque has been improved low down.

All in all, £170 for an upgrade from 136 to near 170hp is a bargain in my view. Was really close to buying a Cooper S before lockdown, but now I don't feel I have to.
_20210104_211003.JPG _20210217_182205.JPG _20210204_171128.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Seems a good result. And great value.
Personally Id have gone for a bespoke map to avoid any bad fueling and potential damage.
Fantastic the insurance are happy with it too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems a good result. And great value.
Personally Id have gone for a bespoke map to avoid any bad fueling and potential damage.
Fantastic the insurance are happy with it too.
That was a concern, but I'm just about comfortable with the level of risk for a few reasons.

The box comes with an engine warranty in case the worst happens; it's the mid range box, and if they think the engine can take a bigger hike without damage, I'm comfortable with this one; and if anything starts to sound or feel dodgy, I can unplug the bloody thing sharpish!

As a relative novice to this fun, it suits me, but I'll certainly be back on here to let everyone know if it goes bang!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts