MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Having bought my R53 'S' (finally), fitted my new 17" Rota Grids and tyres I am looking where to go next.

Basically I intend to have a fast road / track day car build which will span my pay packets over the next few months.

I am no stranger to form > function with my last car being around 15mm off the floor. BUT this time its all about the performance. I intend to build the car properly and will be buying once and once only on each part.

I am new to the engine tuning world and my mechanical skills so far extend to assembling brakes and calipers, fitting coilovers and fitting exhausts. I will require masses of help along the way but I am sure you will all be here to lend a hand and take the piss when things go wrong.

Where should I start?
Do I stick with what I know to start with and use the car efficeiently to start with, a decent set of adjustable coilovers and brakes for example?
Which parts do I then start with, do I start with Exhaust, Induction, Intercooler, Remap in this order?

Your help is much appreciated and I look forward ot seeing you all around the forum and at various events in the future. :thumbup:

·
argumentum vel STFU
3,898 Posts
Corners - Plenty of coilovers to choose from, depending on what you're after and the size of your wallet. Get it set up properly.

Brakes - R56S front calipers and discs with Carbotech pads of your choice.

Power - 15-17% supercharger pulley, Dave.F induction, GP Intercooler should see you making some power to start with. For more, how big's your wallet? :)

It's up to you where you start.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Supercharger doesn't change what I have already learnt then. To start with I should look at my handling and stopping. I mean I have fitted Toyo T1Rs for my road use at the moment and to be honest they are performing better than I thought they would so i can look at Coilovers next.

What sort of ranges do I need to investigate for Coilovers? In the past I have spent £250 and then spent £850 so I know first hand that I get what I pay for and I am going to ride at stock height until I can invest properly. Any names I should look at?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
For a track car I would go:

Meister R coilovers - unbeatable track performance for the money
Full pollybush
R56 S brakes
Rear Anti Roll bar - Whiteline is what I'm going for
Drop links - again Whiteline
Rear control arms
Proper Geo setup

Then worry about power!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was under the impression (according to their website) that Meister R Coilovers were specified by the company for track use only and were not road legal, this is obviously not the case?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Id suggest if you want to make it an out an out track car nothing less than ^^

KW V3 or Clubsports
Kavs rear Control Arms
Hotchkis RARB
Full set up by someone like Tony Franks / Lohen / Coastal..

And then move onto brakes..

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If your budget allows of course go for clubsports/v3's or JRZ's but if not Meister R's do a bastard good job as long as your not looking for huge lows or the last word in comfort!

·
Jap Scrap
2,227 Posts
I'm not going to say anything regarding the Meisters incase Batou is still a little sandy... They are specified for off-road use only, but thats just to cover themselves. They are 100% road legal, as long as you've told your insurance company they are on.

First performance mod should be a Dave.f induction kit, best bang for buck imo. Dave is a trader on here and makes them in batches, if I'm not mistaken, he's doing some currently?

·
Flame grilled?
9,958 Posts

·
Cuntousaurus
15,729 Posts
I don't really work with budget too much due to mistakes buying cheap in the past, but in an ideal world I guess around 950 / 1000 max.
KW V2 (adjustable rebound damping) ~ £950 (V3 are about £1500 but also give you compression damping)
Copy of SPC Camber plates ~ £150
Copy of SPC Rear control arms ~ £130
Hotchkis 25mm "Chuck norris" rear anti roll bar. ~ £250 (?)
Whiteline/Powergrid rear drop links ~£150 (?)
Kavs Roll Centre Adjuster/Spacers ~ £70 (?)

Ignore Martin, he still thinks a budget/mid damper with camber plates performs better than a KW/Bilstein damper :laugh:

If your budget was £700 max I'd say Meister R, but stretching to the above will give you all you'll ever need in terms of suspension. You don't have to do all at once.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay so I need to take all advice on board for Coilovers and start to look at a set of R56 Cooper S stoppers.

Can't wait to get back on my feet (literally - im stuck at home on the sofa resting a severely sprained ankle)
Want to get back to the 'S' as I haven't driven since Saturday now.

·
Bugger
25,333 Posts
I was under the impression (according to their website) that Meister R Coilovers were specified by the company for track use only and were not road legal, this is obviously not the case?
no such thing in the UK, theres only a few performance parts that arent road legal technically a lot of brake pads actually as they are too good, theres a certain % friction under EU regs that they cant exceeded from stock %, de cats from cars with a factory supplied cat from 1992 ish, and racing harnesses that arent E approved although ive never seen the harnsess one enforced)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
no such thing in the UK, theres only a few performance parts that arent road legal technically a lot of brake pads actually as they are too good, theres a certain % friction under EU regs that they cant exceeded from stock %, de cats from cars with a factory supplied cat from 1992 ish, and racing harnesses that arent E approved although ive never seen the harnsess one enforced)
Do you run them by any chance :p

·
Bugger
25,333 Posts
nope, ive tested most coilovers on the market for the mini, and sold most brands too, my default road choice are KW V2's + SPC camber plates, its a very hard set up to find any faults in

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nope, ive tested most coilovers on the market for the mini, and sold most brands too, my default road choice are KW V2's + SPC camber plates, its a very hard set up to find any faults in
I have to say, KW variant 2 seem to be priced well, allow enough adjustment and I have run them once before on a previous car so can speak for quality.

Can I ask a noob question and ask if the camber plates are for fitment or if they are being used for performance gain?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts