MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edm Racing are producing the front wishbone rear brackets pre installed with Powerflex bushings. EDM claims, "An easy unbolt- bolt-on solution saving you considerable flaffing about trying to press out the old & press in new bushes.".

Does the subframe have to come off to install these, or is it as described, an easy unbolt, bolt-on solution?

·
Registered
118 Posts
To remove the brackets you do need to drop the subframe.

You can change the bushes with the brackets in place and the subframe in situ but you need the BMW tool to do so. Some garages have fabricated a tool to do the same job.

Aftermarket bushes such as Powerflex are easier to fit than the OEM bushes.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I did mine with the subframe off as I was taking it off anyway but I have removed similar bushes on other cars in situ before in a fairly simple way, (especially if refitting with poly bushes) although I didn't notice what access was like to do it this way on the r53.

12mm drill through the rubber of the bush right next to the tube, then a hacksaw blade in this hole to cut the and they come out quite easily with a screwdriver/small prybar.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did mine with the subframe off as I was taking it off anyway but I have removed similar bushes on other cars in situ before in a fairly simple way, (especially if refitting with poly bushes) although I didn't notice what access was like to do it this way on the r53.

12mm drill through the rubber of the bush right next to the tube, then a hacksaw blade in this hole to cut the and they come out quite easily with a screwdriver/small prybar.
Any particular press or technique to get the poly bush in?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Poly bushes tend to just pop in but these ones are a bit more difficult as they have a lip on both sides IIRC.

One positive of trying it on the car is that the metal outer is solidly mounted on the car, so it should still work with a bit of lube (OOO ERR MISSUS!) and a large socket to push it in.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poly bushes tend to just pop in but these ones are a bit more difficult as they have a lip on both sides IIRC.

One positive of trying it on the car is that the metal outer is solidly mounted on the car, so it should still work with a bit of lube (OOO ERR MISSUS!) and a large socket to push it in.
So, lube it up, ease it in from the front and have a finger at the rear just waiting for the flange to pop through?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
That would be my best guess.

Basically if you can remove the old one that is going to be the hardest past.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts