MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This isn’t my car, it’s my brother EB’s, but it’ still worth a proxy thread so I can then keep my own tcbw threads on topic. We both live in Dubai. This was the last GP2 sold in the Middle East, and – strangely enough – it was quite a lot cheaper than an R56 JCW due to the difference in equipment levels. It came directly from the showroom at AGMC.

Mods
• AEM cold air intake
• Akrapovic downpipe and delete-R (to remove CELs)
• Forge FMIC
• Ignition Projects thingies
• AEM strut brace
• Carbotech XP8 front/AX6 rear
• Chili Red OZ Racing Superturismo 17x7 ET40 (with 11mm KAVS spacers front, 13mm rear) and Kumho 215/40-17 v70a’s
• Stock rims with Yokohama AD08’s in 215/45-17
• Cravenspeed stubby

The engine mods all installed at AUH Motorsport at Dubai Autodrome. The rims were painted MINI Chili Red by Pimp My Ride Dubai (it just had to be done there). The OZs used to be on my R53 British Racing Brown up in Finland.

GP2 Stickers
All present and correct. Plus a couple of extras….

It's on it's second set of Kumhos. They don't last too long, but they are sticky. I suppose the next set will be Kumho 720s (the new gen tyre).

Plans

custom remap (up to 285bhp) by Franz Simon at Simon Motorsports in DIP2.

IMG_20160423_180636.jpg

IMG_20160423_180742.jpg

IMG_20160423_180959.jpg

IMG_20151024_145613.jpg

IMG_20160423_164012.jpg

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And as an entirely personal comment, it's really hard not to drive this like a complete berk. It's just so noisy, snarty, pointy and quick.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are plenty of traffic laws. Here is a random sample. That in no way relate to any car on this thread.

Writing phrases or placing stickers on vehicle without permission 200 AED
Failure to have vehicle examined after carrying out major modification to engine or body 200 AED
Modifying vehicle's engine without permission 400 AED
Driving a noisy vehicle 500 AED
Driving with tires in poor condition 200 AED Driving a vehicle that omits gases or fumes with substances exceeding permitted rates 300 AED

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a lot of public awareness initiatives focusing on speeding, tailgating, not giving way, sudden swerves, driving on the hard shoulder, speeding, using mobile phones, eating/drinking/applying make up behind the wheel, using seatbelts, unrestrained children etc. and perhaps less focus on the more technical infringements. Driving standards are at best variable, and could usefully be improved. You really really need to stay awake and watch what others are doing, or might be doing, and not get too wound up about it. If you get road rage, flick the middle finger, yell abuse, you get in trouble very quickly. If you stay calm and rational, then you're OK. But if the worst come to the worst, there are plenty of traffic cops and they do seem to be fair and polite.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As to the remap, the tuner reckons that the authorities won't notice a decat: I'm not convinced that the car will run better without the Akrapovic DP and sports cat. Any views from those running the N18/GP2?

We've got the car booked in for Saturday, so I'll mount the GoPro on the front of 'Mr White' (ie the 911) and see what we can record in a chase sequence.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We went up to see Franz Simon and his team at Simon Motorsport in DIP yesterday. We agreed that there is no chasing of numbers, what we need is a nice safe tune, and plenty of torque. Ambient conditions here can be seriously harsh. The car would get a basic health test and a baseline run (once it had cooled off a bit). What surprised all of us was the baseline runs: the N18 was putting out 260bhp/310 Nm before the remap, just with the supporting mods. Good engine. Great engine! :lol:

So then the ECU was removed and opened, and some magic happened. Once the original map was rewritten with the custom remap, the GP2 was then back on the dyno, tweaked, and pulling runs averaging around 279 bhp and 245 lb/ft [332 Nm] over the three final pulls, all with a hot engine, ambient air temperatures somewhere over 35c and IATs at 39.9c (the sensor was mounted right in the airbox).

We'll come back in the Dubai winter, when ambient temperatures are much lower, between 20-25c, and do some more dyno runs. In the meantime, we're really happy with this. https://www.instagram.com/p/BGPBOn-w4in/ :thumbup1:

As we were leaving, the guys in the shop had started googling and found one of the other 3 UAE GP2s for sale - who knows, maybe Franz will add it to his garage?

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The GP2 has been killing tyres recently. The second Kumho V70a blew out on the highway, with another long gash in the sidewall ... so the car is back on stock rims and 215/45-17 Yokohama AD08s. The climate is notoriously harsh on tyres and they are getting to 3 years old, but no one likes a blowout. We're thinking that AD08Rs are the way forward: sticky, resilient, can handle lots of camber... now it's just to find some.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We went out for a little run today - more like a blat between the cameras - with the GP2 and the C4S and ended up at the Autodrome, at the back end of a meet or track day of some kind. If you like cars, you really need to come down here in the winter.

Anyway, it was nice to catch up with a couple of mates from the Radical series. It seems the GP2 has become a little bit famous locally, it's known as the fastest and the loudest MINI in the region. I had to keep my (PSE) flaps open, just to compete for attention. :thumbup1:

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We'll be on the MINI Club Dubai run tomorrow, should be a nice day out even if it is a bit of schlep up and down the motorway to Abu Dhabi

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Christmas presents for the GP2 include nice package consisting of a new Helix organic clutch, lightweight aluminium flywheel, and a Quaife limited slip differential. We're going to have to wait for shipping and customs clearance, but hopefully the parts will arrive soon, and our friends at AUH Motorsport can get the car up on the ramp, as soon as they're finished with the Dubai 24 Hours on 13/14 January.

I'm looking forward to the next run, hopefully we can eliminate some of that inside/unloaded wheel spin...

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We took the view that Lohen has put together a decent package: see Drivetrain : Helix Autosport Performance Organic Clutch & Single Mass Flywheel Kit.

This includes the Helix Autosport Performance organic clutch and Helix Autosport 6.2kg lightened single mass flywheel. We also threw in the clutch release and diff bearings.

I'm hoping that the organic clutch is still road friendly as this car is a daily driver and has to schlep up and down the Sheikh Zayed Road. I'm confident that the lightweight flywheel will make a big difference to engine response.

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does anybody know who actually has any semi slicks in stock? 215/40-17 or 215/45 would be fine...

1 - 20 of 123 Posts