MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So in December after three faithful years, my Rx8 finally let me down. It had been an amazing time, 30k miles of daily use, hooning and track work, but standard low compression issues hit at 84k.

This led to me needing a replacement, as filling up while the engine is running gets old, reaaaallly fast. My mam has had an R53 for around ten years, and it seems to fit the budget and what i was looking for, but my parents wouldn't sell it to me as it'd 'bastardise' it. Enter Mimi.

On the road in February, first impressions were good, except the brakes, I'd read they were woeful but i didn't expect this! So R56S calipers were sourced for £23ea! Cleaned up, painted gold with pink hoses and new pads and discs. Oils and filters changed aswell.

This then setup for its first track night.

This inturn ruined the topmounts, rear wishbone bushes. These needed replacing, silver project topmounts and powerflex bushes.

The tyres were close to the limit now, and as it's always good to change wheels some pretty battered but cheap TD 1.2s were found.

Also through in a new headunit and roofbars!

Another track night

Next up, before you all scream "COILOVERS OR GTFO!" Aps were sourced.

Followed by the next track night

Cooling fan resister had blown so did the DIY

Final track night of the year

Winter upgrades are new front M1144 pads and fit the 15% pulley I have, along with an oil and filter change.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw you posted this up on Speedhunters the other day and wondered when you'd start a thread on here

Spots and stripes need to go but looking smart and mods are good so far!

Are the roof bars R53 or R56 ones? I need a set!
Ah yes i did!

I can't decide on removing the stripes and spots, everyone removes them but the spots are handy for late night back roads!

Roof bars are R53 Thule ones, but swapped the square bars for aero ones

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Very nearly bought a RX8 as a trackday car instead of the R53 but a suspiciously large amount of them are sold at the mileage where these problems occur.

What happened to cause the damage to the wishbone bushes and top mount?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Winter fast approaching so have sorted a few things over the past few weeks/months.

Had a front end knock for a while, found alot of play on the outer ball joints so they were changed out. Took some effort with a pickle fork after breaking two splitters!

With one noise gone, I wanted more of another, the whine. so a diy airbox was made to utilise the k&n filter I picked up.

Beginning of november is an annual white water kayak event, a quick check round revealed worn rear pads so they were swapped after work before setting off.

Round trip complete!

Second back box split, so that needed sorting. And who doesn't like more noise?!
A direnza was local so picked up and fitted.

After going through front EBC ultimax pads in 8k miles, mintex M1144s now live in the front calipers.

Oil and filter change the other weekend.

Back to winter dailying!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Into the new year, and hopefully another 4 track nights plus croft this year i made a start back end of last year fitting a 15% reduced pulley I've had for a while.

Followed by a good winter clean and wax!

Some piggies in blankets on a well known day

And today, set about fitting a larger IC, may need some more work on air divertion.

Following on, some new front droplinks, and some silicone brake duct hosing to get some air into the wheel wells to help prolong brake fade along with a fire extinguisher to fit somewhere.

Happy new year!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which cooler is that?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Just the 'hobotec', bought from MTC motorsport on ebay when there was the 20% off, I'd messaged beforehand as their add has a line about development and apparently they are produced in the UK, but look very suspiciously similar to the china coolers. The front brackets have weld all the way around rather than two spots I've seen on earloer ebay ones however.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
The later ebay ones have weld all the way around also, I've had a good look at one purchased from the middle of december last year.....

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The later ebay ones have weld all the way around also, I've had a good look at one purchased from the middle of december last year.....
Did think so, but I paid a little more to get one from a decent sized company so if there's any problems should be resolved!

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts
Just the 'hobotec', bought from MTC motorsport on ebay when there was the 20% off, I'd messaged beforehand as their add has a line about development and apparently they are produced in the UK, but look very suspiciously similar to the china coolers. The front brackets have weld all the way around rather than two spots I've seen on earloer ebay ones however.

Cool, might have to get one of these to try out.

·
Premium Member
2,972 Posts

Just asked him about them, and got the response below....

"We are just in the process of making some more at the moment... The ends are cast in china yes. Core is from Cobb in the USA... Great bit of kit!"

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just asked him about them, and got the response below....

"We are just in the process of making some more at the moment... The ends are cast in china yes. Core is from Cobb in the USA... Great bit of kit!"

Fair!

Cheers for clearing that up. I had the same issues as documented in the hobotec thread, so had to file down the edges of the mounting posts and silicone band on the small side outlet

1 - 20 of 195 Posts