MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno, this maybe a dumb question, but has anyone ever painted a set of Ronal R98's white? If so any pics...… preferably on a red 53. (y)

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
seen them, search r98 mini white and a few come up

nice wheels, had mine done in sparkle silver, won't go over my brakes now. Hard to get them apart without damage. I was lucky, only one bolt needs thread work but they all come out, most don't without snapping the brittle titanium bolts.

Reactions: Deavilly76

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
I got someone to photoshop some for me as I wanted to do the same, can’t find the picture now but they don’t look right!

ideally stripping them to do just the middle white and leave the outer trim silver would look best but as Sean says, snap those bolts and your looking at £13 a pop to replace!

stick with silver

white does look good on a red car with white stripes etc but I’m glad I’ve left the R98s silver

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
Here you go, just quickly done this with my finger on the iPhone!

Very crude but you get the idea, I actually quite like that now, however with the amount of chrome I have I’ll be sticking with the silver

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See I'm still unsure as to final paint decision yet, changed my laptop front page now the old girl is lowered and I do like black over red especially with the privacy rear glass, but white over red (not pepper or the Austin old English white but white white) would look nice. I'd like to see red over red but I can't do it on mine because the old owner sent me some photos before the wrap. 🙈
And most of my chrome will disappear with a little help from Lea and Lauren at Minibitz (y)
My R98's need refurbing anyways, and as I've said I do like them, might just stick with the silver.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
I haven’t a clue what you mean by white over red ,black over red, red over red etc, are we taking wheels or body/stripe colours

where are you thinking if getting the wheels refurbished?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's a guy on my estate called Ultimate Alloys or similar, might give him 1 to start with to see what his quality is like before I trust him with the rest. White over red / Black over red etc comes from my days dealing with AE86 Corrollas that came multi coloured, so your secondary colour would be the first then primary colour would be second, so mine atm is black over red.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
Ah, I see, I’d go for black over red, goes well with the plastic arch trims

now I’ve taken the white wheels off mine I might have a change and put some black stripes on but I’d have to swap the mirror caps too

I’ve had a price form a place in winsford for powder coating wheels, also a place in wybunbury by the station, both around the £300 mark depending on any extra work needed such as welding and filling etc

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not to bad a price that. (y) I've just swapped out the mirror caps to black, waistline, door handles and filler cap to do yet...… still unsure about the headlamp surrounds and I/\C intake? Swapped the number plate lamp plinth to chilli red one, looks loads better even with the lacquer peel, naff badge and bird shit! 🤣

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
I was unsure about doing the headlight rings too, it was the last thing I did on mine to dechrome, so glad I did as it totally transformed the look once done, I bought the sticky vinyl kit off kill all chrome which was so easy to do, the only mistake i did was one of the rings mustn’t have clipped back on properly and I lost it on a bumpy road when it pinged off!

since then I picked up those spyder halo lights with black surrounds and inners

bonnet scoop, I’ve got the atomspeed scoop on mine that was originally white off maccmikes car, I’ve done it black with rattle cans from Halfords but to be honest I’d prefer it to be the same as the car but I’m a cheapskate and didn’t want to pay a professional to do it properly and get the colour match right!

get that spoiler done black too, and the badges

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
I'm an agent for Pristine Wheels who I've been using for over 20 years, they were the warranty wheel re-furbishers for Mercedes Benz and Toyota/Lexus amongst others, Some wheels come back hard to tell they aren't new but obviously many typical refurbs are pitted etc mostly being older rims done, you can't remove everything, but still they're among the best done that I've seen.

They did my R98's in sparkle silver the last time, only because the diamond turned finish never lasts. The issue with two piece wheels though is you pay per piece! so over £120 per wheel plus tyre work which is never more than £15 for removal and refitting with valve and balance. Single piece wheels are obviously cheaper. My advice is to forget diamond turning, I think I've done it now for the last time on a couple of my cars because it shaves the rim so you only get one or two goes at it so I'll probably do those silver or sparkle.

Anyway if you want some doing you can drop them off here and I'll strip the tyres and keep them for refit after what is 'usually' a 7-10 day turnaround, or some I can have done from a stock of rims so they'll send me a freshly refurbished set, you bring the car for me to get them swapped and I return the old wheels to them, no additional carriage etc.

They won't accept replica wheels on the exchange scheme at all but will refurb you own wheels. If there are kerb marks or cracks and other damage those are charged on top, typically £25- £35 a rim plus vat. They can do centre caps where applicable again at a cost but they'll match. They will do custom colours to a paint sample provided, but they won't do chrome 'look'. Mostly I do people's own wheels. I can supply tyres etc. I just don't fit them myself currently while my tyre changer and balancer aren't at home.

Worth a mention I guess. They follow steps in their process others just don't use, and they don't use fillers, they'll grind out a rim and build it up, they can also correct some slightly oval rims within reason.

These are 20 year old rims, albeit off a 28k car.

WP_20180614_002.jpg

Reactions: Deavilly76

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was unsure about doing the headlight rings too, it was the last thing I did on mine to dechrome, so glad I did as it totally transformed the look once done, I bought the sticky vinyl kit off kill all chrome which was so easy to do, the only mistake i did was one of the rings mustn’t have clipped back on properly and I lost it on a bumpy road when it pinged off!

since then I picked up those spyder halo lights with black surrounds and inners

bonnet scoop, I’ve got the atomspeed scoop on mine that was originally white off maccmikes car, I’ve done it black with rattle cans from Halfords but to be honest I’d prefer it to be the same as the car but I’m a cheapskate and didn’t want to pay a professional to do it properly and get the colour match right!

get that spoiler done black too, and the badges
Yours from memory is the lighter shade of metallic blue with a white roof? Bet that Atomspeed intake looked nice in white to be fair. Did it have whit bonnet stripes too?
Take it those headlamps are an Ebay special? How do they compare to the Xenon ones? Because I don't really rate them, thought they'd be really bright but they're nothing special.
Got a Cooper aero spoiler to go on after its all painted and need to get a G-wing so the centre can be painted roof colour too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm an agent for Pristine Wheels who I've been using for over 20 years, they were the warranty wheel re-furbishers for Mercedes Benz and Toyota/Lexus amongst others, Some wheels come back hard to tell they aren't new but obviously many typical refurbs are pitted etc mostly being older rims done, you can't remove everything, but still they're among the best done that I've seen.

They did my R98's in sparkle silver the last time, only because the diamond turned finish never lasts. The issue with two piece wheels though is you pay per piece! so over £120 per wheel plus tyre work which is never more than £15 for removal and refitting with valve and balance. Single piece wheels are obviously cheaper. My advice is to forget diamond turning, I think I've done it now for the last time on a couple of my cars because it shaves the rim so you only get one or two goes at it so I'll probably do those silver or sparkle.

Anyway if you want some doing you can drop them off here and I'll strip the tyres and keep them for refit after what is 'usually' a 7-10 day turnaround, or some I can have done from a stock of rims so they'll send me a freshly refurbished set, you bring the car for me to get them swapped and I return the old wheels to them, no additional carriage etc.

They won't accept replica wheels on the exchange scheme at all but will refurb you own wheels. If there are kerb marks or cracks and other damage those are charged on top, typically £25- £35 a rim plus vat. They can do centre caps where applicable again at a cost but they'll match. They will do custom colours to a paint sample provided, but they won't do chrome 'look'. Mostly I do people's own wheels. I can supply tyres etc. I just don't fit them myself currently while my tyre changer and balancer aren't at home.

Worth a mention I guess. They follow steps in their process others just don't use, and they don't use fillers, they'll grind out a rim and build it up, they can also correct some slightly oval rims within reason.

These are 20 year old rims, albeit off a 28k car.

View attachment 99563
View attachment 99564
View attachment 99566 View attachment 99567 View attachment 99565
View attachment 99569 View attachment 99568
Nice, by the looks of them the boxed ones are off some Merc? Look brand new too. Again doesn't sound like a bad price and an excuse to have a drive out to Costa del Sean. Don't take this the wrong way but I'd just bring the wheels up.... the garage I used to work for has a place about 30 sec walk away from the one I'm at now and around Cong tyres and exhausts are what they're known for so for a few beer tokens I can have the tyres off, on and balanced up again. (y)
Going slightly off subject...…. Your EW02's do you keep stock of them or are they special order? And what money are they? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
Yours from memory is the lighter shade of metallic blue with a white roof? Bet that Atomspeed intake looked nice in white to be fair. Did it have whit bonnet stripes too?
Take it those headlamps are an Ebay special? How do they compare to the Xenon ones? Because I don't really rate them, thought they'd be really bright but they're nothing special.
Got a Cooper aero spoiler to go on after its all painted and need to get a G-wing so the centre can be painted roof colour too.
no mine is light blue with black roof and stripes

the headlights were a chance buy from costal cars in Lancaster, I’d called in to see what they did not knowing they didn’t do anything mini tuning wise any more but they had a box of R53 bits they were selling for a customer, got them for £90, they are really bright, better than the xenons but I think they need adjusting a bit as one seems to be pointing a bit high, they actually have Halo rings which I’ve yet to wire up to a Permanent feed to act as day driving lights

As for a G wing, yes I want one of those but they are a lot of money

here’s my car with and without the black headlight rings on

and the scoop before and after

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no mine is light blue with black roof and stripes

the headlights were a chance buy from costal cars in Lancaster, I’d called in to see what they did not knowing they didn’t do anything mini tuning wise any more but they had a box of R53 bits they were selling for a customer, got them for £90, they are really bright, better than the xenons but I think they need adjusting a bit as one seems to be pointing a bit high, they actually have Halo rings which I’ve yet to wire up to a Permanent feed to act as day driving lights

As for a G wing, yes I want one of those but they are a lot of money

here’s my car with and without the black headlight rings on

and the scoop before and after

That's it! Remember the black wheels. 🤣 The intake looks loads better in black(y) Can't overly see but have you got the Minibitz black door handle and fuel cap covers? And those headlamps do look quite nice too, is the halo round the bottom of the 2 circles or around the circumference of the headlamp? And you've got the JCW grilles, both of 'em! :cry:
Drove past Holdcroft's the other week, en route to Euro to drop some wrong parts off, whole estate is like a ghost town! Hits home what a bad situation we're in when the main dealers are all shut.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
237 Posts
The halo is round the bottom headlight, the LEDs up the sides light up when on main beam, I think it’s possible to wire them to come on with the side lights too but I’ve just left them as the previous owner had it

The door handles are plastic covers off the wish website, cost about £15 plus postage, just stick over pieces, not as good quality as the minibitz ones but they have been on over a year without issue, not come loose or anything

the fuel cap is another eBay special, it’s actually a black OEM metal cap rather than a cover, one grub screw to remove the old one from the flap and refit that one

I’ve actually got a chrome cooper filler to go on the convertible too at some point too

1 - 16 of 16 Posts