MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

After focusing on being an adult and doing most of the stuff that grown ups do with money, I have finally found myself in a position where I can make my dream come true and build myself a project car! I do not need a car for daily use, so the idea is to make it road weapon with couple of fun track days in mind. I used to have motorcycles because less wheels and it's cheaper'ish but love for 4 wheels never went away.

I purchased the 03 Mini Cooper S R53 with 52k on the clock. No rust on the frames, which was the key when looking for the R53 and there's a few of them about with such a low mileage. And oh it showed the low mileage pains! Shocks stiff as hell, tyres from 2015 with full thread on and micro cracks, steering pump was loud and all fluids were out of shape to say least. Discs and pads worn to another planet. On the plus side it drives well, engine sounds healthy, undercarriage is in good condition and it has original BMW self levelling HIDs!

Luckily I have access to garage so I can do work myself which is the whole point of the project car, right?

The plan is:
  1. Service 1 - replace sparks, change oil, oil filter --> Done.
  2. Service 2 - replace gearbox fluid, brake fluid, coolant, sc fluid,
  3. Cold air induction kit --> Done
  4. Exhaust catback --> Waiting for ebay auction for Milltec to end, if it's over £399 I'll buy direnza.
  5. Clutch slave cylinder --> getting done this weekend, clutch is heavy like a leg press machine.
  6. Coilovers --> Looking for AP or Tein ones
  7. Discs front/back:
    Front - Brembo slated + pads --> Done.
    Rear --> getting sorted this weekend - brembo slated + pads.
  8. Wheels + spacers - Either rota grid dark brown, enkei rpf1 --> suggestions more than welcome!!
  9. 17.5% Pulley for charger + ECU --> This is going to be done after intercooler is done, probably at the end.
  10. Airtec/GRS intercooler --> Need to educate myself which is better, so far Airtec is winning,
  11. Radiator swap for bigger one.
  12. Bucket seats
  13. OMP Steering wheel
  14. No wiper mod

So far it's been great fun, any advice and comments are welcome!
Aesthetic wise maybe I'll get around to it when all the above is finished. Already removed the rear seats and CD changer.

Everyone meet Yoseph.

Adding a picture of brembos, because it's beautiful. Aesthetics will come around - will paint the calippers or swap to R56 further down the line.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
welcome,

heavy clutch won't likely be the cylinder but the clutch itself

Reactions: elephanteiro

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
If you do the clutch and flywheel through an LSD in at the same time.
Suspension bush refresh.
I dont think you need to upgrade the radiator though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks chaps. I can get my hands on LUK clutch, haven't done research on flywheel. Can get LUK bundled for £350 (clutch + fw).
@Maccmike add the LSD? This one doesn't have it as stock, but you probably know that!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
the DMF will more than likely be perfectly ok to reuse, people panic and change all sorts of shit they don't need to in the name of 'while you're in there'. Check its play, if not loose, clean it and go again imo, or better still do the best thing and invest in a GTT aluminium flywheel and Helix sprung disc to use with the LUK cover and bearing ;O)

and add a diff as suggested....

Reactions: Alan16ac

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@CarsOrBikes The aluminium flywheel and Helix will have to wait, as well as LSD only due to budget. I want to get quality parts, so probably spread the cost of the pricey parts (coils, wheels, intercooler, clutch, LSD) over next 5 month so it's part-per-month kind of thing. In my mind I'd love to do it in a week haha.

Thank you for the advice so far. I've never changed clutch in the car but I have Haynes and youtube. I think it will be the second thing on the list, first is definitely exhaust - smiles per miles.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
for my money I'd be leaving the cat back until last, the stock system is good for 250hp+ I know so unless leaking I'd be changing things that matter more or offer better performance for the money, if doing anything to the exhaust imo money is better spent on the manifold as it can complement other tuning changes more, just opinion etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for my money I'd be leaving the cat back until last, the stock system is good for 250hp+ I know so unless leaking I'd be changing things that matter more or offer better performance for the money, if doing anything to the exhaust imo money is better spent on the manifold as it can complement other tuning changes more, just opinion etc.
That is also a valid point. Back to the drawing board I go then.

I need to set it right in the order of work, so this can be executed through weeks to complete it - high priority changes:
1) Clutch + flywheel
2) Coilovers + bushes
3) Intercooler

Once this is done, I can think of next steps I think. Thanks for input, very valuable!

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
FWIW.

If I was doing one again it would be;

Dave F for sound.
Cam.
Suspension bush refresh.
R56S brakes.
Thicker rear anti roll bar.
LSD.
Full exhaust for sound.

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
For a road car any really, Quaife Ive had in several cars and a big fan.
For a track car, I believe but could be wrong, that Gripper are the best.

·
Premium Member
2003 cooper S 218bhp
471 Posts
FWIW.

If I was doing one again it would be;

Dave F for sound.
Cam.
Suspension bush refresh.
R56S brakes.
Thicker rear anti roll bar.
LSD.
Full exhaust for sound.
can’t believe you mentioned a cam before carsorbikes!!

has anyone checked he’s alright

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
you guys know it's the solution (y) 😂

got a few Newman's here with a couple of specials coming and a 469 I think lurking somewhere, EW2/3 on the way.

well worth fitting a cam first imo.

fwiw I should have a few MFactory diffs here soon too ;O)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts