MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Werthers
6,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When DNA Filters joined the forum, I was very excited about their new intake system for the R56. It appeared to be ideal for people looking for the perfect setup for their R56. It is clear to see that a lot of time and effort had gone into this system with re-locating it to optimal location to make best use of the cool free flowing air entering the engine bay.

I was very much interested in seeing how this performed on the dyno, everyday driving and on the track. I will give you the first part of my review here with the initial data that I have collected. It is important to state that this review will continue with further dyno runs and data collection over the coming weeks/months.

When I contacted Marios at DNA Filters, he was very polite and was positive about me testing this system. A day or so later, we agreed that I would offer to test the system for them and write up a full review, a system was dispatched from Greece and within 2 days it arrived at my door :)

It was very well packaged and the courier service arranged and communication with Marios with tracking was excellent.

The box out of the good packaging:

Opening the box, I found everything was very well packaged and protected with some very decent instructions and a drill tip to make the installation easy:

You will also notice that yes the tubes are orange, I was offered and colour configuration I wanted, so I went for orange tubes with a black intake pipe which I think looks great, once I get all the other coolant/boost hoses in the same colour the engine bay will look pimpin :)

Installation:

I wanted it to be done properly, so I took no part in installing the system, Jack and Thomas at 1320 sorted this out with ease with PD240 (Paul) helping out and making sure things were done properly.

Here is a pic of the stock airbox removed, it really does show how much space it frees up at the back of the engine bay, this is perfect for anyone looking to install multiple catch cans and want lots of space for an easy/optimal install:

Using the drill piece provided, Jack drilled the holes so that the coolant tank could be moved to the new location:

The new bracket provided in the kit was then fitted to hold the coolant tank:

Here is a pic of the bracket and tank installed, we only found one small issue with mounting the tank here, with it sitting lower than the coolant feed tube, the tank must be removed when changing the coolant to raise it to allow the coolant to flow easily down the feed tube but this is no real issue at all:

Sadly I did not get any pics straight away of the final setup, just took some today of how it looks after the track day and heavy weekend usage:

After the installation Thomas had some spare PCV caps to remove the second hose, Marios stated that the design of this system should help reduce carbon build up and it works well with the second hose from the engine to the intake manifold blocked off.

With it all setup correctly, it was time to test the system on the dyno. A month ago, I had tested the stock intake on the R56 and compared it to my new K&N Intake system.

The stock system made 187.7 WHP and 218.9 WTQ (Averages)
The K&N system made 192.9 WHP and 221.2 WTQ (Averages)

The tests above were conducted on the 1st of November and data has previously been posted to prove validity. So it is clear to see that the K&N system made power over the stock setup on the dyno, gaining an average of 5.2 WHP and 2.3 WTQ

Knowing that the K&N had already made power over the stock setup, there was no need to re-test the stock setup, we would only need to test the K&N and DNA system this time.

We conducted 4 runs on each and compared the best run of each which I believe was the 4th run for both systems. It is important to state that nothing else was changed, exactly the same map and conditions. Here are the dyno results:

What is important to state is that you should look at the boost levels, they are nearly identical and it shows how consistent the car is, my car never gives results with a lot of variance, its always been very consistent on both 1320s dyno and Lohens.

As you can see, the WHP and WTQ graphs are very similar, the WHP graph is nearly identical for both systems, at around 5,500 rpm we see a small difference of around 4.6 WHP but its only for a short phase. When we look at the WTQ, once again very similar, however, the DNA system does a little better for the first 3,800 rpm and then again at 5,600 rpm but only a small difference.

To be honest, I was expecting more of a difference with the dyno graphs but who knows, maybe with some time it might adjust, this is not set in stone, some people claim the ECU will adjust over time, others say its fairly quick to change after a few dyno runs.

One of things that I like about this system is the noise it makes, the K&N system was very loud and with it being located very close to the driver it sounded like it was running an after market dump valve, the sound is nice when pushing the car hard but when moving about in traffic its not really needed. With the DNA system, it still gives a nice roar as you accelerate and a bit of a hiss when coming off the throttle but its not as in your face as the K&N, so for day to day driving the DNA system is a lot better.

I was really interested to see how the DNA system faired on track, with the installation of the Wagner FMIC a month ago, I had already seen a massive drop in IATs, combining the Wagner and DNA system sounded promising on paper on track for cool temperatures and it delivered. The outside air temp was around 4 degrees on the day and after 15 minute runs of hammering the car around Snetterton, my IATs were below 20 which is fantastic, it never lost boost due to excessive heat and the car performed perfectly.

To conclude on this initial review (it will continue), the DNA Filters Stage 3 Intake system as a VERY high quality piece of kit, this cannot be questioned. Its design is clever, unique and effective. However, I am slightly disappointed with the very small performance gains over the K&N system. For people chasing the perfect setup for track and fast road usage, it seems to tick all the boxes, but big gains cannot be expected from what I have found so far, I am happy to be proven wrong over time if the ECU does adapt. However, remapping the car or adjusting anything else to get the most out of this system must be treated separately to being compared to other systems where all the variables stay the same.

With my car becoming a track/weekend car next year, I can happily say that there is no other system currently for sale that I would rather have on my car.

The big question that some of you might be asking is value for money, this sadly is all down to the person wanting to mod their car and how much cash they can and want to spend. This system will be targeting the top end of the market, so if you are looking for a cheap quick replacement and don't care about IATs, efficiency and track orientated, this is not for you. People need to remember that a lot of time and effort has gone into developing this system and the price reflects this.

The question I should ask myself is, would I buy it? Depending on what state my project was with my car and I had the spare funds, its hard to say really. As a track weapon yes, as someone that does not earn a lot of money I would probably prioritise other things first and if I had money left over at the end then I would go for it. At the end of the day, a product is only worth what customers are willing to pay for it so its down to you :thumbup1:

I hope you enjoyed this review, I am happy to do more and look forward to updating this with more data and feedback and happy to try answer any questions that you have.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
Thanks for the review George, kit looks great IMO but is quite a lot of cash for very little gain - your into the IC or remap price range bracket.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I reckon you could have stuck an open cone k&n on there for £50 and got similar results.

It does looks fantastic, but as I said in another post elsewhere, I think getting technical on a turbo engine air filter is probably pointless when its priced that way.

·
Learning!
5,805 Posts
Cheers George

I can confirm that after driving GT's car on Saturday the sound the filter lets through is pretty nice, the turbo hiss is more evident and there is a throaty induction that sounds like one of my old bikes with an open carb and reed valves :)

I know the dyno comparison shows little difference to the K&N, but it is still an increase over stock and the added benefit of all that freed up space which is at a premium. BTW is it possible to fit the bracket the other way up to solve the bottle height problem

One thing I don't think has been published yet is a final price - can DNA confirm. I have to say however, for me it is looking like too much for the actual gains atm.

Would also like to see what additional power can be tweaked from a map with this filter compared to others - get on it GT ;)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thanks GT good review, also thx to 1320 as they allowed me to watch the testing and show me all the data for GT's car on previous dyno runs and current dyno runs , great hospitality and honnesty.
Well for me I had very high hopes as dna had set there own bench mark what there product could gain on bolting to car, unfortuntally it did not live upto there statement.
This kit is so well made as a product but comes with all the expensive packaging which pushes this product beyound the price tight fisted r56 owners would want to pay considering the results from the test.
If DNA can get this cost in the £200 range they would sell more.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Great write up and it looks like a quality piece of kit and fit? With the FJCW having a MAF sensor on the intake will this only fit a normal MCS?

Also you can see how close the filter is to the OEM CAF, were the test carried out with the bonnet open or closed?

·
Themis
1,796 Posts
Thanks GT good review, also thx to 1320 as they allowed me to watch the testing and show me all the data for GT's car on previous dyno runs and current dyno runs , great hospitality and honnesty.
Well for me I had very high hopes as dna had set there own bench mark what there product could gain on bolting to car, unfortuntally it did not live upto there statement.
This kit is so well made as a product but comes with all the expensive packaging which pushes this product beyound the price tight fisted r56 owners would want to pay considering the results from the test.
If DNA can get this cost in the £200 range they would sell more.
The main argue here is...will it outperform the JCW kit airbox with the cylindrical filter (the one you and I currently have)?
You should have donated your intake for the testing Paul...that's what I am trying to say from the start...

ps: top part JCW kit airbox and ITG cylindrical filter can be purchased for less than £100!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The main argue here is...will it outperform the JCW kit airbox with the cylindrical filter (the one you and I currently have)?
You should have donated your intake for the testing Paul...that's what I am trying to say from the start...

ps: top part JCW kit airbox and ITG cylindrical filter can be purchased for less than £100!
Unfortuntally my car is still in bits having a new intercooler made of which I will get fully tested but thought I would take a punt for the greater good of R56 owners.
Regarding test against uprated induction I have made a enquiry to DNA so will wait for there reply but if it happens I will like GT share my findings with the community.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Given a claimed drop of 15degrees C in inlet temps (pre compressor) ,you would expect just over 3% increase in torque and power ,simply via air density - This never happened .
Would be interesting to know if the original OEM filter was new as any older/high mileage filter loses efficiency - just a new for old Oem filter could add torque/power

·
Registered
834 Posts
Always have done with the R56 as they have a front mount , we dyno with the bonnet down on the 53 because of the top mount intercooler and scoop location.

·
Bugger
25,445 Posts
Always have done with the R56 as they have a front mount , we dyno with the bonnet down on the 53 because of the top mount intercooler and scoop location.
Makes sense, I found that depending on the fan size past a certain flow rate it makes no difference on the R53, my old car dynoed with the same IAT's with up and down on consecutive runs on the Rotor Test.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello gents,

First of all I would like to thanks George for his very nice review and his tech team that helped.

There are a few points that I need to clarify for all the MT members and for all the future users of our intake system.

a) Design of the DNA Intake

When we decided to develop an ‘intake system’ for the R56 already there where quite a lot systems on the market, so it was a challenge for us to ‘remain focused’ and keep our eyes off the existing systems. The target that we set was to design a system that would supply cold air to the turbo as linear as possible and eliminate the restriction of the OEM air box. The flow path should be as straight as possible and we had to find a solution to keep the oil out of the intake path. At the same time the system had to be aesthetically nice and turn heads, fit in the engine bay without major modifications and consists totally of high quality top end parts.
The system uses a custom designed aluminum alloy CNC machined from a block of billet adapter that is elliptical at the filter side and round at the turbo side. We choose to use the elliptical design on the filter side, because round design was limiting the size of the filter that we could use. Using a very big cone filter is always an advantage for the engine, because the air speed on the surface of the filter remains low and the filter has more ’time’ to clean the incoming air, therefore increasing the filtering efficiency. During the testing stage we added to the elliptical adapter a texture that simulates the surface of a golf ball, that produces a very ‘fine layer of turbulent air’ on the internal of the adapter, that allows the main stream of air to pass through with minimal drag! The DNA intake adapter is then anodized in a selection of colors and afterwards CNC engraved! Well it is obvious that all the above increase the cost of the adapter, as it has to be machined on a CNC milling machine that takes time. A CNC lathe, that is fast, cannot produce it due to the unique shape. What is really impressive is that “one single aluminum alloy adapter” with no moving parts has so much development and effort behind it.
So now that we were done with the adapter we had to find a solution to connect this very nice part to the turbo. Using a piece of silicon tube that is the most cost effective choice was rejected, due to the fact that first of all the aluminum adapter would rub against the aluminum turbo intake producing swarf that is harmful for the engine, and secondly the silicone tube isn’t rigid enough to support the complete system including the heat shield. The solution again was a custom designed quality rubber connector, and we did it regardless the cost.
So know that the 2 parts are connected to the turbo, we need to isolate the filter from the hot environment and guide the cold air from the front of the car to the filter. Solution custom heat shield with a transparent lexan top, epoxy coated with inox fittings!
Well all the above parts now had to fit in the space the coolant tank was! So the coolant tank had to be relocated. This means, custom designed bracket epoxy coated and inox fittings. Custom Samco silicon hoses to connect the coolant tank, in 3 different colors.
Crank case vent, we designed a special hose to connect the CRV to our intake, made by Samco that features a “fluorosilicon” liner to withstand the hot oil fumes and with a unique shape that allows the excessive oil to slide back to the engine.

b) Performance

When we tested our system on the flow bench against the stock and competitors systems, it was very obvious what the results would be on the dyno.
The track and road tests showed a significant drop in intake air temperature, nice sound and very good performance. The feeling was that we had more than 20 hp increase.
Following on the dyno this was not confirmed. What we found was that an increase from 10-17 hp on the wheels from stock was feasible, but this did not reflect the ‘feeling’ when driving the car or when racing it against other cars. So back on the dyno we found that our system produced the same power/torque “regardless” if the hood was open or closed during the dyno runs, as long as the cooling was sufficient, but this was not a fact for the stock or competitors system that is located behind the engine. All systems located behind the engine suffered a significant power loss and intake air temperature increase when the hood was closed!!
Conclusion is that what is happening in the real world with our system is extremely difficult to be replicated on the dyno and when doing dynoruns with the hood open the “behind the engine systems” always will benefit, close the hood and after 2 runs you will see the real picture!
With the DNA intake system you have: Cold unrestricted linear flow of air with an OEM filtering efficiency! So tuning the ECU, setting the proper targets is essential, to use this. Doing this correctly you will see the magic +20 whp number!

This system reflects our philosophy and technology; we would never produce something that we would not use on our own cars!

Once again I would like to thank GT for his enlightening review and looking forward to see our system racing at the ‘Time Attack’ series.

Regards,

Marios Nikolaidis
R&D Engineer
DNA High Performance Filters

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
b) Performance

When we tested our system on the flow bench against the stock and competitors systems, it was very obvious what the results would be on the dyno.
The track and road tests showed a significant drop in intake air temperature, nice sound and very good performance. The feeling was that we had more than 20 hp increase.
Following on the dyno this was not confirmed. What we found was that an increase from 10-17 hp on the wheels from stock was feasible, but this did not reflect the ‘feeling’ when driving the car or when racing it against other cars. So back on the dyno we found that our system produced the same power/torque “regardless” if the hood was open or closed during the dyno runs, as long as the cooling was sufficient, but this was not a fact for the stock or competitors system that is located behind the engine. All systems located behind the engine suffered a significant power loss and intake air temperature increase when the hood was closed!!
Conclusion is that what is happening in the real world with our system is extremely difficult to be replicated on the dyno and when doing dynoruns with the hood open the “behind the engine systems” always will benefit, close the hood and after 2 runs you will see the real picture!
With the DNA intake system you have: Cold unrestricted linear flow of air with an OEM filtering efficiency! So tuning the ECU, setting the proper targets is essential, to use this. Doing this correctly you will see the magic +20 whp number!

This system reflects our philosophy and technology; we would never produce something that we would not use on our own cars!

Once again I would like to thank GT for his enlightening review and looking forward to see our system racing at the ‘Time Attack’ series.

Regards,

Marios Nikolaidis
R&D Engineer
DNA High Performance Filters

This is not the MT way , people here thrive on data , they argue and pick data apart - Dyno,1/4 mile , track , 30-90 times and numbers etc.
You are the R and D engineer and therefore have all relevant data - temps, vacuum, and the all important boost vs throttle - all can be collected on road without the need for ECU "alteration" - colder and more air will always raise boost from the compressor - just like altitude and ambient temps

·
Registered
877 Posts
How significant is the drop in IAT's and is this drop negated when you fit a FMIC, making the difference irrelevant over the stock airbox?

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
How significant is the drop in IAT's and is this drop negated when you fit a FMIC, making the difference irrelevant over the stock airbox?
You are looking at the wrong temp
IAT at the inlet manifold is post IC and post turbo or S/C - this is relative to boost , I/c , turbo / sc efficiency - and only really important in as much as it increases detonation and kills engines if hot enough

The temp Into the turbo or S/c ie from intake/ filter is pre compression - This determines the increase in turbo or sc efficiency , denser colder air into compressor gives more out
The turbo sucks in air, if filter is poor then there is a pressure drop - vacuum - into turbo so less pressure out of compressor

Simple view is more in = more out after compression = rise in boost

1 - 20 of 64 Posts