MiniTorque.com banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

Some pics of the shifter and fitted. Sod to get done with the exhaust fitted which didnt have a center piece and was welded but hopefully exhaust will be replaced in coming months. Interior went back in due to moving house for time being

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just waiting of discs and pads all round to be delivered at minute with that being the next job on the list

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Having nightmare on the discs and pads fitting. Whoever fitted the wheels before me must have been the hulk, the sheer force needed to get the nuts off was ridiculous, had to use breaker bar in the end. Took one wheel off the find the retaining bolt head was completely rounded and no torx bit could fit. (Awaiting new bolt). Really struggling to get the rear piston back in the caliper any suggestions? I must be doing something stupid as its getting impossible to get it back far enough

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
What type of wind back tool are you using? The attachment i use does a push and twist have done my rears twice and both times were fine.

could try putting it back together with the old pads and discs, press the brake to push the piston back out then go at it again. and see if it's any better.

What are the piston seals like? if split perhaps there is corrosion somewhere.

And I'm sure you are but you're doing it with the reservoir cap off aren't you?

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
rear piston just turns in whilst under a bit of pressure, if it won't go, the caliper seal will have corrosion behind causing it to grab the piston, it might well be in good shape still and can carefully be prised out, recess scraped clean and cleaned seal refitted, bled, and off you go again or buy a service kit with a new seal etc. To get the piston completely out just press the brake a couple of times and clamp the flexi to save fluid after, it won't lose much. Getting the dust boot back in is fiddly, easy enough to do for a novice if careful.

breaker bar on wheel bolts isn't uncommon, same with disc bolt seizure really.

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
What type of wind back tool are you using? The attachment i use does a push and twist have done my rears twice and both times were fine.

could try putting it back together with the old pads and discs, press the brake to push the piston back out then go at it again. and see if it's any better.

What are the piston seals like? if split perhaps there is corrosion somewhere.

And I'm sure you are but you're doing it with the reservoir cap off aren't you?
Its where the pins go into the piston. tighten back with a plate to the edge of the caliper then twist the handle to wind back in. ( Great description - just presume standard tool)

To me they look okay the seals but maybe im missing something. Couldnt see any splits. Yes i am ha I took it off before i started.

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
rear piston just turns in whilst under a bit of pressure, if it won't go, the caliper seal will have corrosion behind causing it to grab the piston, it might well be in good shape still and can carefully be prised out, recess scraped clean and cleaned seal refitted, bled, and off you go again or buy a service kit with a new seal etc. To get the piston completely out just press the brake a couple of times and clamp the flexi to save fluid after, it won't lose much. Getting the dust boot back in is fiddly, easy enough to do for a novice if careful.

breaker bar on wheel bolts isn't uncommon, same with disc bolt seizure really.
So with getting the piston out do i still need to turn it the opposite way ( anti clockwise) after pressing the brake and it will come out to be able to clean ?

Thanks for the help guys

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
it'll turn itself under fluid pressure

Reactions: DKM

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had a broken dust seal on one of my rear callipers and it had been that way for a while. Worked Ok but I couldn't easily turn it in to fit new pads without getting it stuck.

I fitted a new calliper rather than spending hours trying/hoping to fix it.

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I had a broken dust seal on one of my rear callipers and it had been that way for a while. Worked Ok but I couldn't easily turn it in to fit new pads without getting it stuck.

I fitted a new calliper rather than spending hours trying/hoping to fix it.
Thanks for the comment. I take it all gen 1 have same rear calipers ?

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
will let you know how i get on but its 19 years old and found a rear caliper for £40 so might not be a bad shout

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks for the comment. I take it all gen 1 have same rear calipers ?
No they don't. Pre mid 2003 cars have a banjo connector. After then its a straight screw in. Easy to see which your car has by looking behind from the rear of the car.

The thread size in the calliper is different.

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Finally got all corners done pads and discs . Must have been a trick but finally got the piston to creep back in to both rears . New front grille ordered for next week. Job .

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Aero grille fitted at the weekend! house sale should be completing on the 30th so more bits to come ha

·
Registered
2002 R53
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
next on list is a new rear wiper motor (yes exciting). the last owner or owner in the past has snapped the thread off the motor making getting a blade on it impossible.

·
Registered
664 Posts
If your car has the old style Trico rear wiper (the washer jets moves with the wiper arm) you are best to replace it with the newer Valeo motor and wiper kit:

GENUINE MINI / ONE 2001-2007 VALEO REAR WIPER MOTOR FULL KIT TRICO REPLACEMENT | eBay

Mini swapped to Valeo in mid 2003 and still use them now. The Trico motor is rubbish, fills with water from the washer and fails. you also cannot buy a new Trico motor.

You need the whole kit as the other parts are not compatible with both motors.

I changed mine and it worked perfectly since without any leaks, unlike the old Trico motor. 15 minute job, bolt off and on.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts