MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, noted. I"m spending alot of time looking for a set of R95s at the moment, seem quite hard to find in good shape for right price.

·
Super Moderator
14,679 Posts
Absolutes:
1. Stage 1 Fan resistor mod and pre-empt coolant system issues. Not even sure what this is.
2. Scrap runflats for set of r90s or r95s on Eibach Springs. Scrap Runflats, don't buy OEM wheels or springs.
3. Change rear lights for facelifts Looks good. Read up on how to wire it properly.
4. Black dash and door card inserts and chrome line interior Chrome. Really?
5. Cats knackered so needs replacing with something decent Get a sports cat, or a new manifold and exhaust combo.
6. Any other high mileage issues to pre-empt, advice please!

Undecided:
1. Front Spots You're going to start rallying it?
2. Lohen L02 I'd rather speak to Lohen about dropping an S engine in your car.
3. Wrap Roof and spoiler in white and stripes All black ftw. Definitely no stripes at the least.
4. reinstate badges Adds at least 5kg.
5. Sell/Lower Don't sell. Go lower.
Welcome to MT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First update was meant to be new wheels, except now its a break-down 127360 miles, car shuddered to a stop in traffic, about to be towed. Maybe oil / belt / cvt...had full service 2 months ago : (

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_20140327_192049.jpg

So I think my CVT transmissiin has died, ironically it failed half a mile away from my mechanics, but I dont think it survived, probably a broken belt.

So Ill probably have to replace it, does anyone know if its possible to replace with an r53 aisin auto-box please? Different mount and a new ecu required?

In the US they just won a case against BMW who are now contributing to replacement costs up to 150000 miles. I wonder if that is at all appropiate here.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,479 Posts
The USA gets a far better deal than most everyone else when it comes to known problems, probably due to the number of class action lawsuits that owners are in a habit of taking out. I wouldn't hold your breath holding out with help from the dealers but it'll not hurt to try. No idea on the compatibility of the two auto boxes unfortunately. Time to drop an R53 auto in?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers Astroboy. Results of my research:
It's confirmed it was the CVT belt that snapped, so have to replace the whole unit, for anyone thats interested minigearbox.co.uk supply them at £950 part-ex with 12month unlimited warranty, thats the best I could find. Worst quote I got was €3500 fitted by my local transmission shop! I'd like to fit an aisin but they're so rare that, either there's none in stock or the price is astronomic.

Sent BMW a cheeky email, got a very polite 'tough'. Ha, well was worth a try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts