MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got the method for removing the chrome please. I want to do my F AND R lights . I know about the heat gun bit .

·
MT padawan
2,618 Posts
I just flatted the surface and painted the outside rings with halfords satin, for the inside i will be flatting and using an etch primer, painting then resealing the lights using tiger seal or simliar.

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No special formula then for getting chrome off - For some strange reason I thought I'd see Meths mentioned but I have that on my brain at the moment !
May just do the outside for now to give it a more aggresive look .

·
--NaZ--
1,226 Posts
Most easy and hassle free way is to wrap Black Vinyl on the rings....and smoke out the lamps...at least its reversible...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,961 Posts
The meths is for the facelift rear lights once you have popped them open, the pre facelift lights need to be painted ;)

J

·
0 Posts
Most easy and hassle free way is to wrap Black Vinyl on the rings....and smoke out the lamps...at least its reversible...
Has smoking out your lights made much difference to the light output? It looks great im just worried that it will make my xenons really dim?

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that looks cool - will try that with wrap on the rings too

·
Premium Member
4,723 Posts
you either love the stuff, or hate it... i have it on my rear lights, and like it says it's mot compliant as mine passed no probs last saturday with it on. check out the other colours they do too.

·
In the name of Fun
5,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got the smoke as don't think the others would look good with Yellow .

Now to find a local vinyl wrapper

·
--NaZ--
1,226 Posts
Has smoking out your lights made much difference to the light output? It looks great im just worried that it will make my xenons really dim?
Nope...Xenons are lighting up as per before Smoking up...bear in mind Tinting prevents light going in but doesnt prevent light goin out...

Go for it...am all for cheap and efficient mods LOL....This is what I did:

- Beltline, front lamps rims and door handles were vinyl wrapped in Matt black...

- Front head lamps and rear lamps were Smoked out....

- Vents and petrol cap can me painted as its easy to remove...i used dull black on mine...

See my gallery under Rides...

·
2,768 Posts
I just flatted the surface and painted the outside rings with halfords satin, for the inside i will be flatting and using an etch primer, painting then resealing the lights using tiger seal or simliar.
do you HAVE to prime it?? is just plain exhaust paint enough? i will sand it before of course.. i cant be fu*** to go back and buy the primer i jsut wanna DO EEEEEEEEET

·
Ready GOOOOOO!!!!!!
177 Posts
Go for it...am all for cheap and efficient mods LOL....This is what I did:

- Beltline, front lamps rims and door handles were vinyl wrapped in Matt black...
Hey Naz what did you use for the beltline? Something produced or a DIY alternative?

dude, do it yourself, just follow the accompanying tutorial videos. all you need is a hairdryer and a stanley/scissors

YouTube - Fly Eyes light tinting kit installation and demonstration
Yep this is really good fun and fairly easy!

·
MT padawan
2,618 Posts
do you HAVE to prime it?? is just plain exhaust paint enough? i will sand it before of course.. i cant be fu*** to go back and buy the primer i jsut wanna DO EEEEEEEEET
You dont have to but it would be best, i would use Etch primer if your doing door handles and parts you going to touch all the time.
Its hard to get a good key to the chrome, when i did my rings it took a fair few coats to cover it to but it would scratch off, so thats why im using the etch primer next becuase it will stick to the chrome so hopefully the paint will but alot stronger.

·
In the 14's
4,364 Posts
I used fly eye for my front lights , and it passed UK MOT no bother I also did spots and sidelights with it too.
I am with Ale in his point that it does reduce the light throw even with xenons. I am considering taking mine off for the winter as lights get more important this time of the year

1 - 20 of 56 Posts