MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shall be fitting a Dave F this weekend (yes replacing the Alta:cursing:) Quick question, I take it I will have to refit the plastics engine bay/bulkhead divider, but will i have to cut a hole in it to provide direct flow into the back of the Dave F or does the OE hole do the job?

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Yes you replace the plastic, but you have to make a tennis ball size hole in it, further up from the smaller oem hole. Dremel is you best bet IMO mate.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Job done, used a homebase celling light drill bit (perfect size give or take 2mm) £3.99 hell of a lot neater that a dremmel

·
Registered
132 Posts
bump on this old one to see if anyone would be kind enough to scan in the instructions, mine seem to have gone missing in the garage and want to make sure I don't ufck anything up!

·
Registered
132 Posts
did ask him first yup, but no answer, seemed like he had some stuff going on according to his bit in the traders section
found the instructions in a garage tidyup anyway, so we're all good :thumbup1:

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Sorry for my absence mate, im glad you got it sorted, and holesaw is certainly the best method so well done.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
** stupid question alert ** - what size hole needs to be drilled in the bulkhead please? I have 2 already drilled and they measure 60mm each, I was wondering if it's had something similar on it before ???

Any help greatfully received

·
Registered
324 Posts
To drag this one back up.

I fitted my Dave F last night.

I drilled the back panel with the required 75mm saw.

The hole is pretty much cock on, however.

I trust the hole is to assist air flow at the rear and not for the purpose of the filter cone to stick through, as mine doesn't, if someone could confirm?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The cone/tube in the back should indeed go though the hole in the firewall that you have drilled with the hole saw. You should have a foam ring too that sticks around the hole to make it look pretty.

This drags more air through the back at higher revs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Really, what a bastard.

Squeezing my fingers through the rear, it didn't seem like the cone was long enough to poke out.

How far we talking a mm, more etc?

Couldn't the fire wall just be cut in half?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Conflicting, so it should or shouldn't poke through?

I just thought the hole should be opposite the cone to draw more air in through the rear from the scuttle?

I have OCD so bad.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It should stick through maybe 10mm so it sits through the hole that you have cut.

Why would you cut the firewall in half? Especially if you've already made the hole?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ok, thanks for that I'll whip the top off again later and try and angle it through.

On the alta, bad word on here I know, the plastic panel was removed completely.

I know the Dave f is geared up to be more stock/effective, but surely you'd get more air through not having it there at all?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You'll need to post a pic.

It's better to keep the plastic panel/firewall with the hole in it as it stops the engine heat getting to the air filter.

More hot air, lower power. Nice hole to scuttle, nice cold air, more power!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
All sorted folks, thanks for the feedback. Looking at it last night and it's all good in the hood!!

It was dark the night before finishing off, in defence of me being a retard.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts