MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, wonder if you can shed any light on this?

I've got an 04 Cooper S JCW, last night I started it up and none of the back lights on the dash will light up. The radio powers up but there is no sound and the climate control system does not work. The indicators work but there is no "tick" or light to say they're on.

Everything else is fine. Totally bizarre. I have done an ECU reset following a guide from MINI2 forum and checked fuses (although I'm gonna do this again) has anyone had any experience of this, or can give me some ideas on what to try next. Its bloody freezing with no heater :sad:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sounds to me like something on the ibus is down.
Check CD changer (if fitted) and any added stuff like ipod interface, hands free, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris

Cheers for the tip off, i've certainly not got to the bottom of this yet, but its put me in the right direction.

I unplugged CD changer = no difference
I then set about removing the head unit, and as soon as I unplugged it, it all came back to life - great I thought! I plugged the head unit back in again, and it all worked, turned off ignition, turned back on again and its buggered again. So with the ignition on, I removed head unit again, as soon as I did it all came back on!? SO I figured its a knackered head unit, put the dash back together and left the head unit out. As I set off for work this evening, its all darkness again :sad:

So - Its obviously something in that area. My car has CD changer fitted, iPod kit and some sort of after market bluetooth system. All looks to have been professionally installed and has never caused any issues up until now.

I also checked the BCU as I heard horror stories of it getting wet etc. All seems fine. Checked the fuses and the wiring behind the head unit, nothing obvious. Its driving me nuts now!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
unplug the bluetooth kit, i had a bluetooth parrot kit go faulty on me and it stopped all the clocks and alsorts, also made the car go into limp mode!, it was drawing too much power, so nothing else was receving the right voltage..

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Agree, sounds like either the HU or the BT or the IPod is stopping the IBus.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well this time the dash lights wouldn't go out! Ended up unplugging the battery. My car has a volt meter and I noticed that its sitting just under 12V when I go to start the car. Once running this goes up to about 13/14V but it did make me wonder if perhaps the battery is on the way out and causing this. I've heard that batteries can cause strange electric issues.

I also disconnected the bluetooth (Bury) but made no difference. Noticed the headlight light (green + blue) dont work along with the indicator tick.

Think I'm gonna pop in to see Trevor at Minicraft after Christmas has passed. Its a mystery :sad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the problem went away for a couple of weeks or so, now its back! FFS! Thinking moisture must be getting in somewhere or a loose earth or something. As it seems to be when its wet, though it might be my imagination. Anyone got wiring diagrams or locations of earth points? Either that or its an auto electrician job. Just spent a bloody fortune sorting out a snapped S/C belt. This bloody car! :(

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ever find a fix ?

Hi did you ever sort this problem out ? I have the exact same problem with my 2003 mini cooper 1.6 I changed the clutch on mine so had to take off the battery however when I put it all back together I had these problems (no indicator noise or dash symbol no dash lights or anything)

Reguards
James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts