MiniTorque.com banner

Darkside black mofo.... trolley part 2

47K views 330 replies 41 participants last post by  Dave^ 
#1 · (Edited)
On Monday I picked up my next project, this all came about after getting battered on the way home by a literally standard apart from decoked and decatted JCW R56 (bealehere) ,

My niece was after a new car and always hinted she like my R53 and this way after all the work thats been done it could be kept in the family and more importantly I could drive it

I found a cheap R56 in black that looked like a great base.

Plans where set and the part out happened.

Anyway I picked up this black 2007 model with 70k ..

It was rather cheap and after driving it I realised why !!! It sounded like a a bag of nails and was slow as a tractor.

So after a quick call to Millsy's I took a punt

The next morning I took a slow and boring trip up to Millsy's to get some diagnostics done.

After he had a look we found the timing was out and the chain tensioner was shattered.. fooooookkkkk cars not going anywhere it was on borrowed time.

So I was faced with a rather long and expensive train ride home!! :(

But in typical hero styles Jason & Tina juggled the jobs they had booked in and agreed to work late to get the car done so I could drive home.

Bloody brilliant ...

Jason gave the car a decoke which it desperately needed as you could hardly see the valves.

New timing chain
New auxiliary belt
Decoke
Health check

A rather late finish but another N14 saved from grenading itself by Jason and a very healthy base to start modding .

The drive was great even in a totally standard car.

Thanks Millsy's Auto's

Here are some standard pics of the new trolley..

I don't really understand why it came with S spokes but makes it a easy swap.

Now all the fun begins and the wallet gets real light..

See less See more
#13 ·
I know but its always a worry when you take the plunge, but all bisto now ... fancy helping me with the down pipe ??

Sick guy!

Surely we can count on you and your niece attending the Essex meet?

Cleo will need another like minded mini loving girl to talk shoes with :lol:
Cleo knows more about these cars than me mate ..
I'm not happy the niece is on about pink rotas and aps ..
Wouldn't mind but she'll having it looking better than I did.

Shes a dirty student so will probably be too drunk to make a meet

#25 · (Edited)
We where doing some 60 to #30 pulls and got dropped each time.
It only had a 15% pulley,Dave F and cat back to be fair..
But I feel comfortable with turbo cars.
Thepenls,Roxy,Jakes & Sams cars paved my route

Plus driving Jakes car put the final nail in the cofffin

Reactions: Mini turbo
#35 ·
Mate the junk is going on a diet... I'm getting a set of clubsports even if I need hip replacements ..

The niece wants to keep the Atb and the Rca's and I can't be arsed to take them off so I'm on the hunt for a diff and arms.. I'm more worried that its turning into a better car than when I had it.

#36 · (Edited)
1st mod for the Black Mofo ..

Cant wait to fit it.

The cats not happy with the piper decat taking his spot while I disposed the packaging (evidence) before the Mrs gets back.

Let the hoarding commence

Reactions: Mini turbo
#39 · (Edited)
So some maintenance and small cheap mods done to the black mofo.

So jacked the car up in the garage, and got to removing the sump to get rid of the bits of old chain guide and clear the strainer just as well really !

Gave it all a good clean

Then time to tackle the down pipe..

Had a few issues with seized bolts and a lambda probe stripping on removal and a rusted up vband so had to wait for a new parts but wasnt that bad.

And this:

All done and dusted didn't get a pic of it all installed but I'm happy with the burble and bangs even better is the response.

Next will be clutch and diff time :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.