MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a problem with her DAB radio in her 2011 Mini Cooper. It works fine until she turns on the rear window demister. Once the demister is turned on the radio signal dies. The radio stays on just no signal. I'm assuming it's something like a dodgy earth somewhere but where? Any thoughts on where I should start looking?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi
She says it's only on DAB. I've read elsewhere that it can be a fault with the demister and means a new back window?? Any thoughts anyone?
Hi there,
The DAB tuner has 2 aerials, 1 for L Band (used in Europe) and 1 for VHF Band III (UK). The L Band aerial is in the roof mounted shark fin or stubby on the roof and the VHF Band III is integrated into the rear demister element in the rear screen. The DAB tuner only uses 1 at a time and in the UK it will be using the Band III so I would guess that there is a problem with rear screen element portion of the aerial.

It can be tricky to pin down EXACTLY what the problem is without:
1. The technical knowledge of how it is integrated and functions.
2. The appropriate testing equipment.

Might mean a trip to the main dealer I'm afraid but you can check simple things like checking if the rear screen demister element is working (could be a fuse or break in the element itself). Check connections at the point where the element meets the tabs for attaching the wires.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts