MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, has anyone done this, completely from scratch? Currently got some bits to do mine. Looking to see if anyone has done something similar?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I’m hoping to maximise the size of silencers to keep the noise down. Only one way to find out

·
Registered
848 Posts
Do you mean straight R56 style or just straight through style silencers? Pretty loud either way, even with a stock cat.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Oh you plan on keeping silencers?
Thats not a straight through system.
Are you planning on decat and no centre silencer but retaining the 2 ball silencers?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So R56 style, decat 20x5” tube silencer (6 inches longer than the miltek resonated sections) and then a 12x6” rear silencer. 2.5” all the way through.

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
I've run a 2.5" race pipe off a Cooper on my S which had a small res and small silencer, too noisy for me with the cat but also ran it with the cat out, now that was just plain silly 😂 ok for some with the cat, I just didn't like it and it'd get a black flag on my car.

daft idea, does nothing for power, draws all the attention in the world, and sounds shite.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
That would be pretty loud but if you like it then go for it. You can always put the cat back in to quieten it down a bit if its too loud

👍

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'd recommend using an R56 rear box, they're the right sort of shape to fit and sound half decent. Mine is a single straight through silencer, no resonator, and OBX manifold with either a cat or decat. I used the decat for ages and it was stupid loud, it's still louder than most R53s with the cat in. No chance of doing any track days.

A centre resonator would probably help soften the sound a lot, still very loud though. There's a couple of videos on YouTube where someone made an R56 system with straight through silencers and a decat.

Sent from my HRY-LX1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
personally I'd run only what facilitates track use with a decat on a custom tuned car, and tune if possible with a decat and logs from, or references to a trusted installed wideband if the tuner will accept that reference, not necessarily.

Well aware some are adamant the cars make better power with the cat in but I think that in part is due to more open systems needing some correction, my own view is the cars 'can' work very well without. So I always have the maps changed without, and can add one if I want. Tuning with a cat will likely give slightly leaner tailpipe readings which might be ok having a slightly richer tune considered safe for the engine but is still a compromise I think. I'd rather have the car tuned with no cat and add one later, than tune with a cat and remove it later, I feel that could have a more negative affect on performance. That has no bearing on noise I know but just a consideration when making choices.

·
Bugger
25,295 Posts
I had an r56 s cat back on my r53, not by choice. I had to wait for bits to fit my normal one as my car is a cooper shell do the 56 hangers bolt right up, to be honest i wasn’t thrilled with the sound, I’ve had a side exit on my car before (cooper style) which sounded much better. The straight pipe design is pretty poor imo, it drones a lot.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback guys, I’ll update on the build thread with what I chose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts