MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been done to death but...I want to swap my 11% for a 17%. Is it worth also fitting a +2% crank pulley (and +5% alternator as a precaution)..or doing a 15% S/C, or just keep stock pulley/damper?
Although my car has a Scorpion exhaust and 200 cell cat/PowerFlow cat back, CAI, it still has the stock JCW 380cc injectors, with BCR8 plugs and stock I/C (for the time being) so temps could be an issue but I plan on getting a better I/C nearer summer..(although I believe the recovery on the stock unit is supposed to faster than even the Airtec etc...I know the boss is the GP)...Im not really bothered about tracking the car..maybe the odd blast to Curborough.
From what Ive read it looks like the solid pulley design is better.
Further down the line I was thinking about the 1320 package of catcam, 550's and a remap.

Premium Member
As CoB will soon tell you, you might get more out of a cam than from a pulley change. And he's not wrong.

On my JCW (that's -11% originally) I've had -17%, then -17% with +2%, then -15% with +2%, and finally back to -17% with stock size crank pulley. I can't really recommend the -17 & +2 combo, it just makes too much heat no matter what top mount intercooler you slap on it. I've had GRS and Airtec. Plus it didn't feel as happy near the redline. I do quite like the -17%, even with the stock IC. Then again I already do have a cam, bvh and a manifold to help the added air move through.

There's really no benefit in having a larger crank pulley. And the lightweight ones just add NVH, and possibly increased chance of bearing failures.

BTW, loving your signature, that certainly happened to me 馃槀

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply mate.
I'll just go with the 17% then when the weather warms up. I've just fitted a set of BCR8ES plugs (it had BKR6's in for some reason..although they looked brand new), Mr. Retro leads...Is it worth replacing the belt tensioner when I fit the new pulley? Oh, and can I remove the old (with the correct pulley) with the S/C removed from the car or is it nigh on impossible?

And thanks to Astroboy's incredible War and Peace series of posts about intercoolers, and his tireless, diligent analysis of charge temps, custom fabrication, Chinese quality control practices, C.A.D (cardboard aided design) technology and not to mention his intensive study of old episodes of Blue Peter, I will be fitting a HoboTec庐 intercooler...I just need to order some duct tape, cable ties, blu-tac, PVA glue and glitter (but i do have plenty of toilet roll tubes).

By the way, I've looked everywhere online, but where can I find 13mm grommets with the internal sleeves? I need them to fit the I/C at the front...
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts