MiniTorque.com banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Found 300mm of M12x1.75 threaded bar, an m12x1.75 collared nut and 28mm trust bearing with a 12mm centre hold on ebay all for less than a tenner delivered.

I reckon that'll so same job hopefully, i can cut the bar and make the smaller thread protector rod and the larger install tool from that.

That brass nut in you pic looks like it is similar in size to the 28mm trust bearing.

Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
The bolt would work, the tool just makes life easy especially for the late damper. I just fitted one this way in more limited space as I didn't have a deep socket I'd have needed for the early damper, just grease all the threads too just don't do what some do and try to pull against only a few threads as that's where it'll go wrong. If you don't want the grease on the threads just brake cleaner it out after. I use a longer bolt (100mm UHL) supplied with ATI dampers to start it then switch to the correct bolt.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well the trust bearing was the first thing to arrive so i put it on the extractor to see if it fit an m12 thread, looks good to me. just waiting for the threaded bar, nut and m12x1.75x100 bolt to arrive now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, there it is, £18 used extraction tool and £10 worth of threaded bar Nut bolt and thrust bearing all from ebay. Just need a holding tool for the pulley now.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
and just a thought (late sorry) as you mention holder it made me think of it, maybe the adapter if yours is a facelift, the three holes are slightly wider apart, the tool default spacing is for the early damper, the adapter has countersunk holes for the different spaced bolts that come with it (a touch short I think personally), fitted below the tool you have.

Fwiw if you have the early damper I'd lube and work bolts into the rusting threads before offering the tool up if you haven't already ;O)

Reactions: R53CooperS

·
Registered
138 Posts
and just a thought (late sorry) as you mention holder it made me think of it, maybe the adapter if yours is a facelift, the three holes are slightly wider apart, the tool default spacing is for the early damper, the adapter has countersunk holes for the different spaced bolts that come with it (a touch short I think personally), fitted below the tool you have.

Fwiw if you have the early damper I'd lube and work bolts into the rusting threads before offering the tool up if you haven't already ;O)
Hi,thanks this is the damper I have below. My car is one of the 04 prefacelift frankenstien cars with some pre and post facelift parts. You can see all the oil on the block behind it.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
yes looks like mine, and is the early damper anyway

I'd clean all that off and run it for a week or so before doing the front seal, if it's the timing cover gasket too you'll be doing it again....

Reactions: R53CooperS
21 - 29 of 29 Posts