MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a weeping crank seal on the Aux belt pulley that keeps flicking crude onto the SC belt, so need to get that fixed.

While i'm doing that i may as well change the aux drive pulley. Silly not to really as it's off anyway and at 111k i'm sure it's failry knackered.

So do i go OEM and have piece of mind and a empty wallet, or is there a OEM item with a diffrent name on it at a low cost like the febi gearbox suspension parts with the BMW part number ground off.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
I cant help you on procurement but Id do as much whilst youre in there as you can.
Idler. Damper. Chain and sprockets etc.

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
definitely don't go ebay copy oem style, or prw, utter crap. ATI is the quality one and similarly priced or less than a genuine part which is the only sensible alternative imo.

Reactions: Az-Hudson

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I cant help you on procurement but Id do as much whilst youre in there as you can.
Idler. Damper. Chain and sprockets etc.
Cheers for the tips.

I'va already done the Idler Wheel, AC Delete pulley, Tensioner Pulley as well as the chain tensioner.

Not to sure I'm up for doing the Chain, sprockets and guides. Will have to look into doing that and see how hard/easy it is to do.

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
only if you want to get the thing off, ask Maccmike, similar with pattern parts, this was a recent part. I have the BMW tools for these and the bolts just ripped out then the fun started...... the interference fit tolerances clearly are out by a very small value, a simple 'clunk' as they break free and a simple slide off is all you should have, Mike's PRW was a day old, absolute joke, destroyed to remove. Someone will say the usual, 'it's been fine' or 'no issues' perhaps, but maybe they haven't tried getting them back off, or were just lucky. I take off 100k dampers hassle free, sure one will mess as things do when aged and rusty etc but these are junk. I don't have pics of Mikes.

·
Registered
138 Posts
only if you want to get the thing off, ask Maccmike, similar with pattern parts, this was a recent part. I have the BMW tools for these and the bolts just ripped out then the fun started...... the interference fit tolerances clearly are out by a very small value, a simple 'clunk' as they break free and a simple slide off is all you should have, Mike's PRW was a day old, absolute joke, destroyed to remove. Someone will say the usual, 'it's been fine' or 'no issues' perhaps, but maybe they haven't tried getting them back off, or were just lucky. I take off 100k dampers hassle free, sure one will mess as things do when aged and rusty etc but these are junk. I don't have pics of Mikes.

View attachment 99578
I have the bmw pulley tool but not the Thrust rod that protects the threads, do you need it or can i just put a longer bolt in for the tool to puch against instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
you could probably use a bolt and use the puller against the head of that I suppose, the OEM rod is concave so helps keep the puller load centred but up to you, just make sure you use a lot of the thread to spread the load is all I can say, there is a lot being placed on it.

Reactions: R53CooperS

·
Registered
138 Posts
you could probably use a bolt and use the puller against the head of that I suppose, the OEM rod is concave so helps keep the puller load centred but up to you, just make sure you use a lot of the thread to spread the load is all I can say, there is a lot being placed on it.
can i just ask, is the OEM rod 100mm?

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
I'll have a look tomorrow

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'll have a look tomorrow
Thank you. Do you also have the pulley installer? if so can you tell me how long the threaded bar is for that too please? I dont fancy paying oem money for a bit of threaded rod, a nut and what is basicaly a thick washer.

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
it's a roller bearing

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
100mm
145mm

·
Premium Member
4,743 Posts
beneath it, this is the BMW version but there is also one in the Sealey timing tool kit very similar

·
Registered
138 Posts
beneath it, this is the BMW version but there is also one in the Sealey timing tool kit very similar
I could make the stud easy enough by cutting the head off a 100mm 12x1.75 bolt and filing some flats on it but the install tool looks a bit more difficult. I was just going to buy some threaded bar a flanged nut and a big washer but not sure now looking at yours.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts