MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

so I've got a 2005 R53 with the JCW 210 kit.
I also have an ALTA 15% sc pulley and a few other power and suspension mods (intake, cam, header, c-overs etc). Recently the car has been making a slight but noticebale chirping sound and my mechanic has diagnosed it as wear from the crank pulley. So I need to have it replaced. Now I what I would like to know is whether it would be worth getting an ATI 2% dampened pulley?
Would there be noticeable gains over a standard sized pulley? And do I need to be worried about overheating or other issues? The car only gets used a few times a month and I do a couple of track days here and there. Also Im running an Airtec top mount IC.

Hope thats clear.
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
817 Posts
the Airtec is going to deal with the extra heat + you have the JCW head (which isn't a big deal but has a slightly better flow); the extra 2% wont be a problem; go for it;

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey Matt, for the cost of the pulley and the enlarge, is not worth the slightly more boost plus you have to combine it with enlarged alternator pulley and a new belt! If you want dampened get an oem facelift otherwise go solid lightweight 0% to get more response and better power delivery!

·
Registered
817 Posts
facelift or not, the OEM tends to fall apart; many of us have negative experience;
Hey Matt, for the cost of the pulley and the enlarge, is not worth the slightly more boost plus you have to combine it with enlarged alternator pulley and a new belt! If you want dampened get an oem facelift otherwise go solid lightweight 0% to get more response and better power delivery!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys….can anyone tell me what gains a +2% would be give me over the standard size?

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
2% over on the crank will be marginally less than 2% under on the charger.

The ATI damper is about the best, but save your money and get a standard size one. It makes belt selection much easier.
If you do insist on overdriving the crank, then don't bother with a larger alternator pulley. The need for one is a falacy, the electronics inside it will self regulate the voltage.

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
UK prices are different, the +2%, is £470 at 1320 and is £70 more than regular size.
I had one and it was just a nuisance finding belt sizes and calculating the total underdrive on the supercharger for tuning purposes etc. The second one I got was standard size which was more practical for matching different pulley sizes too. You're choice, but it sounds like you've made your mind up anyway.

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
UK prices are different, the +2% is £70 more than regular size.
I had one and it was just a nuisance finding belt sizes and calculating the total underdrive on the supercharger for tuning purposes etc. The second one I got was standard size which was more practical for matching different pulley sizes too. You're choice, but it sounds like you've made your mind up anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the 15% s/c pulley and I originally had the ATI standard crack pulley, I recently went to the +2% ATI and I gain 1lbs of boost.

·
Dead One
2,726 Posts
what's the difference between a belt required for a 17% pulley, and one the OP would need for his setup?
Well a 17% pulley with a 2% crank will need a longer belt, I can tell you that much lol.

I have the 15% s/c pulley and I originally had the ATI standard crack pulley, I recently went to the +2% ATI and I gain 1lbs of boost.
Effectively the same as a 17% pulley and a standard crank.
Your charger is spinning 2.53 times faster than your +2 crank, a 17% pulley on standard crank would be spinning 2.54 times faster.

·
Registered
817 Posts
OP has a 15% pulley; so the delicate belt size would be the one everyone gets with a 17% reduction; I really don't see how's that a problem;
Well a 17% pulley with a 2% crank will need a longer belt, I can tell you that much lol.

Effectively the same as a 17% pulley and a standard crank.
Your charger is spinning 2.53 times faster than your +2 crank, a 17% pulley on standard crank would be spinning 2.54 times faster.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
OP has a 15% pulley; so the delicate belt size would be the one everyone gets with a 17% reduction; I really don't see how's that a problem;
Sorry but that can't be right. There's no way the belt for a 15% reduction in supercharger pulley size together with a 2% increase in crank pulley size is the same as that needed for a 17% supercharger pulley reduction.

Even if you make the, no doubt incorrect, assumption that both stock pulleys are the same diameter the -15 +2 would be equivalent to a -13.

I may not know much about the merits of the different pulleys but I know enough maths :)

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
On my old car with 17% sc and +2% I ran a 6pk1353. A 1360 slipped above 6k. Tight fit to get on but never slipped. I changed mine twice a year though.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts