MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Peeps

Hope you are all safe and sound in these uncertain times....

During this Lockdown and the majority of this year I'm Looking to build a new R53 Turbo project motor between 350 whp & 400 whp

Im starting from the bottom and I'm no mechanic and have limited knowledge but have started researching on the internet to pass the time from my nagging Mrs &

screaming Kids, life's tough at the moment with this lockdown so i need a release...

I live in Guernsey in the Channel islands and we have limited resources over here so need to source everything on line..

Ive had mixed comments on this question and also mixed costs for a complete bottom end build.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

So The question is do i Forged or Forged & Line the bottom end?

Whats the best Turbo to give me 350whp on low boost to 400 whp full boost ( Or even if this is possible)

Thanks in advance 馃榾

The Black Pig

Registered
The bottom ends on these are really strong however. I鈥檝e heard of a few in the last couple of years where the cylinder wall has rusted away causing it to crack under boost...most likely from lack of coolant changes etc so really you need to weigh up the cost of having it lined Vs how long are you going to keep the car and do you want it to handle everything that鈥檚 thrown at it?

1320 can build a whole forged and lined bottom end for about 拢3800 I think with Wiseco pistons and 1320 Con Rods/LA liners. That鈥檚 with new everything such as bearings and ARP bolts etc. Have you spoken to them at all?

I鈥檓 sure there are also other options for engine builds, have you looked at speaking to Ric Wood or something like that? I know he normally does Ford stuff but he does make some fucking brilliant cylinder heads for these cars and is an all round top bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Thanks for that and yes ive got a price from Thomas for a complete forged bottom end, hes just got one finished sitting in his workshop, exactly the spec you've described. Just curious what everyone else had to say on the Subject.

Im gonna keep the mini, I love it, ive spent a small fortune on it to date and Thomas knows it well as he has just tuned it to 240+ WHP he looks after it remotely as i live in the channel islands.

Looks like im gonna need to get out a small mortgage for this build but its gonna be worth it!....

Playing with Minis is like a drug its so addictive and you just want more WHP!! 馃榾

Cheers Mate

The Black Pig

Registered
Hi

Thanks for that and yes ive got a price from Thomas for a complete forged bottom end, hes just got one finished sitting in his workshop, exactly the spec you've described. Just curious what everyone else had to say on the Subject.

Im gonna keep the mini, I love it, ive spent a small fortune on it to date and Thomas knows it well as he has just tuned it to 240+ WHP he looks after it remotely as i live in the channel islands.

Looks like im gonna need to get out a small mortgage for this build but its gonna be worth it!....

Playing with Minis is like a drug its so addictive and you just want more WHP!!
View attachment 102605

Cheers Mate

The Black Pig
I mean I know it鈥檚 a fair chunk of money but if you don鈥檛 know anything about mechanics or how to build an engine then guess what you鈥檒l be lying for someone else鈥檚 time to do it all.

If you鈥檝e got the money and it鈥檒l be in your possession forever then fuck it I say. I spent over 2 grand on my head and to be fair if I had the money I鈥檇 do the same for the bottom end. Actually I鈥檇 probably just build it myself and get a machine shop to fit the liners but still.

What head are you running?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do have limited knowledge and am helping my mate build the engine i just wouldn't be comfortable in doing it on my own.

I have a 1320 BVH

Registered
Hi

Playing with Minis is like a drug its so addictive and you just want more WHP!! 馃榾
View attachment 102605

Cheers Mate

The Black Pig
Now that's a sweet looking Mini. Love the 'blacked out' look. Very Darth Vader! (y)

Premium Member
The Black Pig 馃榿 (y)

Fastest colour.

Registered
Unless you're doing part or all of the work yourself I would recommend using one company for the whole project. Even if they subcontract out parts of the work they'll still be responsible for the overall outcome..

Premium Member
Haha, you know it馃榿
40150087513_32a0d235ef_o.jpg

Reactions: HimatL

Registered
The bottom ends on these are really strong however. I鈥檝e heard of a few in the last couple of years where the cylinder wall has rusted away causing it to crack under boost...most likely from lack of coolant changes etc so really you need to weigh up the cost of having it lined Vs how long are you going to keep the car and do you want it to handle everything that鈥檚 thrown at it?

1320 can build a whole forged and lined bottom end for about 拢3800 I think with Wiseco pistons and 1320 Con Rods/LA liners. That鈥檚 with new everything such as bearings and ARP bolts etc. Have you spoken to them at all?

I鈥檓 sure there are also other options for engine builds, have you looked at speaking to Ric Wood or something like that? I know he normally does Ford stuff but he does make some fucking brilliant cylinder heads for these cars and is an all round top bloke.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts