MiniTorque.com banner

Cooper S 'do stuff when I can afford it' project

27K views 264 replies 30 participants last post by  andyr53 
#1 · (Edited)
Not had my r53 cooper s long... It's had a few bits done already. I'll list what's been done so far and then update as I do more.
Engine:
Kavs 15% pulley
Dave.f airbox
Samco intake
Milltek non resonated cat back
Chassis:
Front upper strut brace
Wheels:
Standard painted grey
Body:
Aero rear bumper
Black plasti dip grill, badges, headlight surrounds, scoop
Tinted rear lights

Plans in the future:
Rota blitz wheels/non run flat tyres
Aero front bumper & skirts
Black roof
Black mirror caps
Black belt line
Coilovers
Intercooler
Brake upgrade

Will get some better pics soon

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

See less See more
#34 ·
Dead easy, there's one 10mm nut on the back and two sort of spring clips. Undo the nut (it's on a stupidly long bolt for some reason) give it a push and then reach in and push the two spring clips in whilst pushing out. New ones go in easy, just take a bit of lining up then tighten bolt. There's a resistor that you need to stick onto the bodywork inside behind the light. Theres a how to video but it is pretty simply

#39 ·
Got a few more things to do soon, black mirror caps, door handles, filler cap. Looking to get the roof done black soon too, just with a wrap.

Got some of the aero bumper stickers on the way.

Fitted the Canton header tank. Was pretty easy to fit and looks good. It get's really hot though! Coolant temps seem pretty similar when the standard tank was fitted but it looked pretty old and brittle so thought it was worth changing.

Still got a hissing noise on partial throttle, think it's just the BPV but it's annoying me and not sure it should be as loud as it is?

Will investigate that too

#44 ·
So I didn't want to spend too much on this, but....I need new tyres so might as well get new wheels right? New wheels won't look good with a big arch gap so that means coilovers.

Now it's time to decide what wheels to go for, what tyres to go for and what coilovers to go for.

Good job I can hide all these bits at work so the missus doesn't know!

I like the Autec Wizard wheels, they are pretty open though so then that would mean I'd have to do a big brake conversion

Also the Rota Blitz are on the list.

I was going to fit the Whiteline ARB last weekend but looking at the bolts back there I reckon I would have had some issues...think I may pop it into a gargae and let them sort that out

So along with the small body jobs I've got to do the list is now

Wheels
Tyres
Coilovers

#45 ·
It's a slippery slope but welcome to the club :lol:

Coilovers depends on what you want out of them - lows & decent comfort for a daily = APs, KW V1s or KW ST; decent fast road handling and some track work = Meisters, BCs; full balls out = Cobra, AST etc

Tyres again depends on what you want from them - longevity, handling, wet weather performance etc

So many wheel options it's ridiculous! Do you want track look, stance, cheap etc

#47 ·
It certainly is...I said after my first stupidly modified fiesta as a young lad that I'd never do it again :lol:

With regards to suspension...I'll be looking for low, comfortable and good fast road handling if it exists

Tyres is just a minefield...you can read reviews about them all day and some will rate them 10/10 other wills rate them 3/10 so a bit confusing!

Wheels wise I'll just be looking for something that looks decent but has a good weight saving over standard

Cheers!

#49 ·
Yeah, been reading and researching and I think the AP's will be sufficient. I wish money was no concern, but it is a slight one haha!

That pic looks good...think I'm going to go with the Wizards - Looking for aero skirts and front bumper - the roof and spoiler is going black too and have black/dark silver inserts for the rear bumper on the way

Going with the wizards means budgeting about another £1200 for the big brake kit though :lol:::getcoat::

#50 ·
Right then, so for daily and occasional fast road use what size tyres would people reccommend? Roads aren't the best round here so presume that rules the 40 profile out? 215's are quit a bit cheaper than 205's as well
205/50/17
215/50/17
205/45/17
215/45/17
205/40/17
215/40/17

#54 ·
Added the graphics to the rear bumper, think it looks better but not 100% yet. Not the best pic of them here. Just small things recently, got some silver indicator bulbs for the front so they don't look like fried eggs. Cravenspeed dip stick.
Still deciding what to do with wheels. Think may wait till spring and just run winters for time being

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.