MiniTorque.com banner

221 - 240 of 265 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
It's not that low, it was the road surface which was sunken at the edges and raised in the middle.

PS - did you get my PM last week?
yes mate, will reply...

Reactions: Dave^

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #222 (Edited)
Just hit 90k miles so treat it to some of the meguiars hybrid ceramic wax stuff. Seems to be quite decent although picture doesn't really do it justice.
Just waiting on a couple of bits to do the gearbox oil change next and then possibly be looking at doing chain and guides

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Replaced the low profile budget tyres with some chunky 55 profile rainsports. Much better ride and the crap roads round here don't make me cringe as much over every little bump. Finally got round to painting scoop, headlight rings and mirror caps properly. They had just been either plasti dipped or matt blacked. Much better although the plasti dip did hide a lot of imperfections. Not too sure with the blue inside the lights yet so may change.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Had read a few people's reviews on the sprint boosters and was intrigued... Wasn't really tempted before cos of the price but picked one up 2nd hand for a good price.
Actually suprised by the difference it makes. It doesn't make the car faster, just makes it feel faster! Switching it off after using it makes it feel like a real slouch.

Time to get some parts fitted that are gathering dust. Going to send the vented A panels and smoothed aero bumper off for paint and just waiting to find some aero skirts.

Not decided on the rear yet. Quite like the new leap diffuser but I think the price is going to put me off.

Same with the GP trim, think it's a bit too expensive for what it is.

Looks likely I'll go with the 56 diffuser

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #226 (Edited)
I picked up some BC coilovers with the intention of replacing my slightly worn kw's... Test fitted one of the fronts last night and the wheel/tyre catches on the inside. Could possibly be solved with spacers but I catch the arches as it is over big bumps.
Although once fitted with some camber dialed in they may be OK.

Thinking I'll just sell these straight on though.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
5mm spacers are what I needed to clear them, they only just caught, I was on std 16" wheels also.
I tried them with my Oz wheels, they've got chunky 205/55/16 tyres on and I think a slightly different offset to standard.

I think I'd probably need 10mm and even then it might still be tight

I've got some spacers somewhere in my garage so might give them another try

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I tried them with my Oz wheels, they've got chunky 205/55/16 tyres on and I think a slightly different offset to standard.

I think I'd probably need 10mm and even then it might still be tight

I've got some spacers somewhere in my garage so might give them another try

My wheels were on the same tyres with around -2 deg of camber, although that won't change much if at all.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
My wheels were on the same tyres with around -2 deg of camber, although that won't change much if at all.
Ah ok, well that's promising - is the gap between the strut and tyre really small then, does it give just enough clearance? I presume as long as it's not making contact when standing then it won't come into contact when moving

Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,105 Posts
Lohen fit my XTAs with stock 17s.

I couldn't get my finger between the perch and the tyre, but they never touched.

With 55 profile non-runflats though, they might flex more.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #232

I couldn't get my finger between the perch and the tyre, but they never touched.

Cheers...yeah that's what I am thinking about flex - if there's only a fag paper space between it, it could cause an issue....although would there be flex at the top of the tyre?

Will do some investigating

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #233

Cheers...yeah that's what I am thinking about flex - if there's only a fag paper space between it, it could cause an issue....although would there be flex at the top of the tyre?

Will do some investigating

·
Registered
871 Posts
I had enough flex on 205/45r17 Hankook Ventus on my old car to rub on the sidewall. Was only a couple of mm clearance but you could hear it around corners and it left a mark. This was with APs, stock wheels and 5mm spacers, only rubbed when they were wound almost all the way down. And the rub mark was in the middle of the sidewall.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,105 Posts
You'd have to be cornering really hard, for the wheel to to try and push through the tyre.

!-!
! !
!_!

Vs

/-/
! !
\_\

Left hand front tyre during hard right hand bend/roundabout...

Tapatalks added some extra spaces between, but you get what I mean ...

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
Fwiw I had 215/45r17 on stock et48 with 11mm spacers and ~5mm gap which does have to be considered as above, no rubbing anywhere although your car is much lower than I'd ever set them,

Now I use 225/45r17 on stock et48 with the 11mm moved to the back and 16mm now on the front, the back only really needs 5/6mm. I lowered mine an additional 6mm at the height perches recently but raised it again at the back as it was rubbing a bit too often over small country A roads with one passenger and a set of wheels in the back, with tools also, but ok on track as it was really.

Also I noticed evidence of some slight rubbing at the outside of the left front arch liner which is from the track so might put the front back up the 6mm too, although first I'll recheck the gap to the coil and see if the spacer could be smaller but I doubt it, I didn't check to see what the 225's looked like with the 11mm spacers, I just had 16's here already and knew I'd need a bit more space at the rear for et48/225.

My coils currently fitted are 62mm perch style/spring ID, similar to BC/Meister (YCW are 65 for the Swift springs) are the above RC's? Rates 7/6?

Reactions: andyr53

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
Yeah, maybes I am running a bit too low...from what I've read though I presume I wouldn't be going as low with the bc's fitted.
They are the 7/6 rate springs yes

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Ah ok, well that's promising - is the gap between the strut and tyre really small then, does it give just enough clearance? I presume as long as it's not making contact when standing then it won't come into contact when moving

Cheers
I found that the tyre actually only just caught enough to stop it moving, so went with the smallest as in 5mm & could see nearly that much gap so came to the conclusion that it probably only clashed by 1mm or so.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
Sold the BC's and still on the kw's for now.. May upgrade again in the future. I've just wound them up a bit as it was a bit too low... The fronts are as high as they'll go now though (pic below was before)

Still got lots of bodywork stuff to sort out and fit. Aero bumper, vented wings etc

Also have the full gp2 diffuser kit to go on... Just need the bodyshop lad to confirm he can get it to fit with the milltek otherwise I'll be doing the 56 exhaust conversion.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
New driveshafts fitted last weekend. Not the best job to do but nothing a big hammer wouldn't sort out. Slightly overdue as both sides the boots had split and made quite a mess. Was holding off doing them as was going to drop the subframe and replace all bushes at the same time but decided to just get them done.

Next on the list is some R56 rear arms - got them cheap, just need to drop them off to get cleaned and coated then will fit them.

Next big job is going to be the clutch....so will do the subframe bits whilst doing that

221 - 240 of 265 Posts