MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 56 plate R50 a few weeks ago, all seemed ok till steam started coming from under the bonnet, soon realised the fan wasn't kicking in. Quick google found out what the problem was and by passed the dreaded resistor, guess what, still no fan. So I just changed the thermostat, absolute nightmare couldn't get the battery tray out(bolt heads had corroded). I put the coolant back in that came out and it was way over the max line, so ran the engine till warm, expecting it to fall once the thermostat opened but no, nothing, so must have an air lock. Opened the bleed screws 1 just off the top hose and another on the heater hose, coolant came out of both straight away, still nothing, still way over the max line. Pumped the top hose a few bubbles appeared in the reservoir but nowhere near what you would expect. And worst of all still no [email protected]#&*"g fan. Can anyone please help I'm at a complete loss.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
There was probably nothing wrong with the thermostat and you have the well documented fan resistor failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Low speed fan on early R53

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Although possibly your symptoms might be different as when the resistor fails the high speed fan usually keeps working I believe. Like I said just a guess.

·
Registered
2005 R53
130 Posts
Possible the connections in the fan assembly have become corroded and come off where the original resistor is, did you look there, or did you just put a resistor mod on outside the fan assembly? Sometimes the connections inside need resoldering, especially when the fan doesn't work at all.

·
Registered
2005 R53
130 Posts
You can check with a multimeter actually if you have one, put it on resistance and check across the ground and high speed voltage pins of the fan connector, if it reads infinite resistance one or more wires have come off on the fan assembly so you'll need to pull the radiator off and get to where the original resistor is located.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies but like i said i have had both fans running I ran a lead straight from the battery, before I bypassed the resistor just the high speed worked but since both run but only with the lead straight from the battery. When connected up properly neither run at all. Maybe the issue is the cables from the fuse box? Any idea how to check? I get i need a multi meter but what sort of results am i looking for. As you can probably guess I'm ok at the usual stuff oil change, brakes etc but electrics I've never had to deal with. Any pointers will be gratefully received
Thanks
Simon

·
Registered
2005 R53
130 Posts
Fuse, relays, coolant temperature sensor or wiring then really Ithink, unless anyone else has any other thoughts. Doubt its relays if both speeds don't work. You mentioned steam was your first indication of an issue, your coolant temp should have been in the red by then, make sure that's working as expected or the fan will never be asked to work. Fuse should be easy to check too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked fuses and used a 9v battery for the relays to make sure they open, all ok. The sensor was my next thought but not exactly sure how to do that, I've got a multi meter but I've never really used it bought it years ago to put a stereo in my car that's about it.

·
Registered
2005 R53
130 Posts
I think you can get the car to display what it thinks the coolant temp is via a hidden menu, don't ask me how though! I think there are instructions on this forum somewhere.

·
Registered
2005 R53
130 Posts
Found them, instructions here:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so I've managed to bleed the coolant system today and get in to the hidden menu( thanks Mysticarl) the temperature got in to the 90s and still no fan. So I've done a bit more reading and apparently the pas fan could have something to do with my problem, so my next question is where do i find the fuse for this fan. Obviously fist step is to check this but i didn't get any books with the car and as pretty as they are, the little pictures on the fuse box lids aren't very helpful in this case.

·
Registered
2005 R53
130 Posts
Yep as Keith says it has to get to 105 for the low speed fan to come on. If you happen to have air con the low speed should also come on when air con is on regardless of temperature.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Argh that's why, and I forgot about the ac thing I'll give it another go. Gotta go out very soon anyway thanks lads knew I knew I could rely on you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so sorry to keep harping on, but i really need to get this sorted. I took the mini to work yesterday, around 8 miles both ways, now that should have got it up to temp for the fan to kick in but it didn't, so spoke to an auto electrian at work( I build cars for a living, well assemble them ) and he's told me how to check the fuse and the wires going to the fan with a meter to make sure i got continuity. If this is all good guessing next step is the pas fan i mentioned earlier. Get back to you all when I'm done.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The cooling fan should not kick in if you are moving. Driving 8 miles should get the thermostat open so the radiator should be hot to touch.

The coolant will not reach 105 degrees Celsius unless the car is stationery for a period.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i never knew that, always thought the fan kicked when ever it needed to. Every days a school day. So i know i probably sound a bit dim but the air rushing through the grill plus the rad keep the engine cool, but whilst stationary the fan will come in if needed, and thats the same for all cars?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts