MiniTorque.com banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 R53
10,554 Posts
Sorry like a daft shite i didnt notice the relisted item had ended, sorry. That was the one I got, i'm sure they'll come up again soon

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys just a quick first post.

in the title really if any of those problems occur i can help as ive just fixed my issues :)

basically after a run in the mini on a weekend sometimes my coolant will boil over in the expansion tank and i thought it was because of an airlock. i bled the system for a year now about 5-6 times as it happened every time. so while researching and looking through many mini forums it came that i needed to do a very long run and needed to sort this coolant boiling over. so after many days and nights 3 to be exact i found a very long northamerica mini thread.

basically the coolant over boils because it is not being cooled by the radiator which means the fan isnt working. however all minis have 1 fan but 2 speed modes low and high. when i switch the car off usually the high fan speed is kicked in due to preventing the car from blowing up..

anyways the low speed fan setting is controlled by a resistor which gets knackered and wears out. apparently a lot of minis the r50 and r53's many people have never herd there low speed fan just high speed.

but there is a simple fix if you know your fan works i.e high speed fan kicks in.

the fix has 2 options:

1. by pass the resistor so when the low speed fan is supposed to come on the high speed fan comes on instead. i have done this mod and prefer it due to the fact that better cooled the car is better for the engine and increased performance.

2. a new resistor can be installed to allow the low fan speed to come on when needed working like factory.

please note there is 2 different ways of by passing and wiring in a new resistor. the difference will be in which type of fan you have. usually 2003 and before has the 2 plug fan which i have and after 2003 usually has 1 plug. meaning if you have 2 plugs fan needs to be removed or if you have 1 plug you dont need to remove the fan.

but since i fixed my fan issue the coolant has been perfect no loss or over boiling. went to london 3 times in 2 weeks and was perfect no over heating no over boiling coolant in expansion tank and no loss of coolant :))))

any question please feel free to ask and will help you as much as possible and will include some pics not all... :)

thanks for looking and hope this helps :)
Hi I have a mini r50 and noticed when I was packed up for a while engine running temp gauge was in the red so turn engine off straight away opened bonnet and Coolant Was coming out of the expansion tank. Now my fan did not kick in at all slow or fast. Do you think it is best to replace the whole unit or could it be just the resister.
thanks Andy.

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
it'll be the resistor most likely that's failed. If you're doing it maybe swapping the resistor has more value, if paying someone else I'd suggest a unit. Some here use a different resistor but a few I've seen look a bit scruffy and there's little reason not to use the original type really, the facelift car is a little easier to change. I fit more fan units.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi guys just a quick first post.

in the title really if any of those problems occur i can help as ive just fixed my issues :)

basically after a run in the mini on a weekend sometimes my coolant will boil over in the expansion tank and i thought it was because of an airlock. i bled the system for a year now about 5-6 times as it happened every time. so while researching and looking through many mini forums it came that i needed to do a very long run and needed to sort this coolant boiling over. so after many days and nights 3 to be exact i found a very long northamerica mini thread.

basically the coolant over boils because it is not being cooled by the radiator which means the fan isnt working. however all minis have 1 fan but 2 speed modes low and high. when i switch the car off usually the high fan speed is kicked in due to preventing the car from blowing up..

anyways the low speed fan setting is controlled by a resistor which gets knackered and wears out. apparently a lot of minis the r50 and r53's many people have never herd there low speed fan just high speed.

but there is a simple fix if you know your fan works i.e high speed fan kicks in.

the fix has 2 options:

1. by pass the resistor so when the low speed fan is supposed to come on the high speed fan comes on instead. i have done this mod and prefer it due to the fact that better cooled the car is better for the engine and increased performance.

2. a new resistor can be installed to allow the low fan speed to come on when needed working like factory.

please note there is 2 different ways of by passing and wiring in a new resistor. the difference will be in which type of fan you have. usually 2003 and before has the 2 plug fan which i have and after 2003 usually has 1 plug. meaning if you have 2 plugs fan needs to be removed or if you have 1 plug you dont need to remove the fan.

but since i fixed my fan issue the coolant has been perfect no loss or over boiling. went to london 3 times in 2 weeks and was perfect no over heating no over boiling coolant in expansion tank and no loss of coolant :))))

any question please feel free to ask and will help you as much as possible and will include some pics not all... :)

thanks for looking and hope this helps :)
Hi where is the resistor located

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
top rear of the fan module

Reactions: mw6muv
61 - 74 of 74 Posts