MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I haven’t been unable to find an answer to this, the next mods I’m planning is for a set of coilovers and ARBs.

My question is, when fitting coilovers is it essential to get control arms fitted at the same time?

Also when I get new front and rear ARBs fitted, is it essential to fit drop links?

Just want to make sure I’m budgeting for these parts if needed/preferable before I just throw coilovers on the car.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,382 Posts
I'd say it's not essential but it is highly desirable in order to get the most out of your coilovers, otherwise you'll compromise your set up with preloaded ARBs and too much negative camber at the rear. I'd go for coilovers, adj, front top mounts, adj. rear control arms, adj. drop links all round and a thicker rear anti roll bar. You do not need a thicker front bar. Save yourself some money.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say it's not essential but it is highly desirable in order to get the most out of your coilovers, otherwise you'll compromise your set up with preloaded ARBs and too much negative camber at the rear. I'd go for coilovers, adj, front top mounts, adj. rear control arms, adj. drop links all round and a thicker rear anti roll bar. You do not need a thicker front bar. Save yourself some money.

Glad I can save some money.
All those bits are fairly pricey when combined. I’ll have to save a bit longer I think.

Thanks for the reply dude

·
MiniTorqueGoesFinland
3,382 Posts
If you want to do it in stages, you could get the top mounts and rARB later. In the meantime, a quick (and hobo) mod is to disconnect the fARB by removing one droplink completely (and save yourself the cost of one set of droplinks). This softens the front and changes the balance front to rear (and with stiffer springs makes it more 'oversteery'). You'll also need an alignment of course, whatever you fit. If you don't get RCAs your rear camber will be excessive and you'll wear out the inside edges of the rear tyres in no time. All this assuming you're doing it for the handling and not the stance.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You don't need either.
Just slap the coil overs on and you'll be fine. You only NEED to adjust everything if your either going for fastest laps on track or go super low.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
No, and no.
;O)

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Don't waste money on a front bar, and not wanting to say do what I did, but fit a Hotchkis Competition rear bar in it's lowest setting for now, it will more than make up for any front bar plus further changes.

Now I've just saved you money towards the right coilovers ;O)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

I’m doing the coilovers for the stance and the handling. So the RCAs definitely seem like they’re needed as I don’t want aggressive camber at the rear wrecking my tyres.
I won’t be doing loads/if any track work either.

I’ll keep in mind about the RARB too

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Dont need drop links unless your significantly altering ride height.
If your fitting cheapo coilovers for better ride over oe just fit that.
If your spending good money on coilovers then yes add adjustable top mounts and rear control arms.
A thick rear arb on stiffest setting will significantly improve handling alone - probably the best pound for pound mod you can do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts