MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

i was planning my first venture into tinkering without using a garage:

I’ve ordered up some new coil overs for my 2012 R56 JCW and was planning on installing them myself along with a rear anti roll bar.

anything else that i should consider changing whilst I’m in there? Don’t think the suspension has had anything done to it over the year’s.

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That should increase my learning curve :). Would you also change out the front and rear drop links? Or is that just show boating?

eg:

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
depends what suspension it is and how you set it up, imo plenty of people only buy it to lower the cars, no idea of what they're left with when focusing on image over performance/function etc.

Then they tell everyone how ace it all is ;O)

I'd only fit the links if the bars ended up at silly angles tbh, other reasons for using them are if corners are all different (weighting etc) but that's a waste on a road car imo,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve got a set of ohlins damper and top mounts on order and through I’d attempt installing them myself along with a 22mm anti roll bar.

Car will be setup for road and track days, liked the easy adjustments of the ohlins so I could make quick changes and i’m oldish and always wanted a car with ohlins dampers. (Main reason😊)

planned installing powerflex bushes too, but hadn’t thought much behold that…but while I’m in there i just wondered if folks would do more. Sorry, was a bit known specific

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve got a TTX coil waiting to go on a mountain bike (i know more about mtb than cars!)…thats delayed.

yes, the top mount has camber adjustment, you can also change the compression and rebound.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
ok, couldn't remember what they had, hopefully you don't set them too low as many might,

I'd probably use a bigger rear bar (and perhaps reduce the front) personally,

my bikes have engines ;O) Not all on Ohlins though now,

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
I'm not so sure, the latter being over 200% stiffer apparently in low setting, haven't seen that claimed for the former yet but others will know more perhaps, the cars I've fitted Whiteline's to certainly don't respond the same way in the same position but all the cars are different specs anyway, opinion will be all over the place, sticky tyres/road tyres, linear/progressive springs, rates, heights, sag, wheels and weights, offsets and geometry as well as front bar etc.

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
You’d go above 22mm on the rear bar?

No intention of significant lowering, not so into that and it will attract attention here…
In my case, yes. I also didn't lower the car significantly, initially it was only ~5mm below stock (SS+), even now probably ~10mm, looks lower perhaps as it has bigger tyres filling the arch gap but it isn't.

stock suspension on 215/45 RS-R
Car Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle

with my coils on the same tyre
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

stock car on 205/45's
Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Look a fair bit lower than my current stock set up, I think the ohlins run around 10mm lower than stock from memory? I guess it depends on the shock design, but adding to high a perload to lower the ride height messes with suspension sag (droop). Are folks here using different stroke lengths to lower the cars or just preloading them up?

ps like the beach shot 😋

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
Look a fair bit lower than my current stock set up, I think the ohlins run around 10mm lower than stock from memory? I guess it depends on the shock design, but adding to high a perload to lower the ride height messes with suspension sag (droop). Are folks here using different stroke lengths to lower the cars or just preloading them up?

ps like the beach shot 😋
too low a preload to lower ride height I think you may you mean?

My tyres make it look lower, the top and bottom pics above are with road legal semi slicks which as well as being taller in 215/45 are a wider carcass

This is with 225/45, also a road legal semi slick (AD08R)

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

fwiw this is back on 215/45 with temp rims and suspension (KW Club Sports), slightly different (road biased) carcass shape with Cup 2's, preload set quite high with only a bit more scope on the threads

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice and u get no ride issue with increasing the width while keeping the aspect ratio the same? Just asking, cos i have a set of summer wheels that have 205/45 with some crap tires. But I wanted to put cup 2’s on, they only come in from 215/45 in a 17’’

·
Premium Member
5,934 Posts
not really, certainly not 215/45 on 7j et48's with up to 11mm front spacers, I ran those semi slicks for some time on stock suspension and coils, still harsh but tbf my coils were 8/6 or 8/7 linear springs so would be compared to some especially on those carcasses,

I note bump steer is more apparent at very high speed with 225/45 AD08R's in conjunction with 16mm spacers f, (and 11mm r not that those affect anything),

on Club Sport coils which I think are 6/6 springs? and adjustable compression as well as rebound with the Cup 2's in 215/45 it's definitely less harsh, fwiw I also have a 25.5mm rear bar but no front bar so will affect this feedback,

215/45 should have been a factory tyre on these cars imo, throw the 205's away.

if you want a more compliant tyre then RS5's might help that, not something I used yet on the Mini but am aware they're a tyre with a more compliant sidewall, was tempted to try them in 225/45 and still might....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts