MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I,m new to the forum with 2004 r53 S
Need some advice on coilovers for mainly track day use. Very little road use.
I've upgraded brakes, re-mapped stage 1 plus and various other mods but now need to upgrade suspension.
Would be grateful for any advice on best makes and best place to buy from. Dont mind new or refurbished

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,627 Posts
no advice ... but to help others point you in the right direction.
what wheels and tyres, is it a face lift 04 ?
what’s your budget for coils, inc Top-mounts camberplates and will that also include everything else beneath the car, inc alignment etc

·
Premium Member
4,641 Posts
YCW ;O)

When you've got your anti roll bars, wheels, tyres sorted, YCW will take those changes into account when calculating your spring weights and valve profile even on their Auris entry level kit which is only £1440. These include Swift springs as standard, and are built to dyno tested settings, for clarity, that is dyno'd overseas but fully built in the UK.

You'd pay an awful lot more for any other kit with this kind of spec I think, basically nothing has this at the above price, so only a few hundred more than the list price of some BC's with their $5 springs and generic valve profile, that people rate which there's nothing wrong with if that's the only kit of its type you can get for the price. Then factor in ~£500 worth of some of the best springs available, suddenly the damper value perhaps becomes apparent (or should).

A tailored coilover spring weight and dyno tested valve profile to match the spring, based on your vehicle spec, built only to order. UK service centre.

If you know your vehicle weight/axle weights they can use this also in the Reference series which are the next level up closer to £2.5k, still good value, with caster adjustment in the top mounts as well as camber, upper spring perch bearings to stop rotation through the pillowball, double digressive valve profile, neoprene damper covers, and a free re-valve.

The above on it's own is a stand out reason why YCW are a good option you probably never heard of. Nothing is stored pre-built.

You can still stipulate your own spring rates from 3-34kg/mm if that's what you want and the dampers would still be built to dyno'd settings.

Most others will sell you kit pre built, sprung and valve'd most likely for a standard car, often with very cheap springs sometimes with rate options only changed for you on dampers already on the shelf, valve'd in theory for the springs they just removed, which kind of supports that they possibly could use a generic valve profile they might share across kit they make for several vehicles, control is perhaps compromised as will be rebound adjustment.

People rate kit like that quite well, so imagine having kit specified for your car, to order, nothing comes off the shelf other than the Swift springs of whatever length and weight, the damper rods, monotubes, pistons, shims etc, top mounts, collars, perches, gaiters, you get the idea.

Auris kit has twin perch monotubes allowing independent height and pre-load adjustment, camber adjustable front top mounts, pillow ball rear top mounts, rebound adjustment, digressive valve profiles, Sandvik carbon steel shims, Swift springs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for this info. Although some of it is over my head I do get the gist of it. !!
I had been looking at the BC or HSD stuff but now you have got me thinking
I was thinking of a £1k budget but I suppose you get what you pay for. I had not heard of YCW BUT I'll check it out.
Cheers for that
Steve

·
Bugger
25,313 Posts
Thank for this info. Although some of it is over my head I do get the gist of it. !!
I had been looking at the BC or HSD stuff but now you have got me thinking
I was thinking of a £1k budget but I suppose you get what you pay for. I had not heard of YCW BUT I'll check it out.
Cheers for that
Steve
If your looking for a mostly track coilover then the BC ER from Orranjie would be on my radar, its less than the YCW's which nobody on here has actually used, Maffa has BC ER's on his R53 track car and loved them. The Mesiter R-GT1 have also got some decent reviews as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts