MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people's thoughts on plugs and coil packs? I'm running stock Bosch coilpacks which are probably 18 months old now, plugs which are NGK 1422 and have done over 4k since a rebuild.

Is there a superior coilpack and plug (cooler) that would be of benefit? I'm not interested in the Okada coilpacks they've been proven to be snake oil.

But I've seen in the US some guys are running BMW N54 coilpacks. Has anyone any experience of these?

TIA.

·
Registered
JCW N18
87 Posts
What are people's thoughts on plugs and coil packs? I'm running stock Bosch coilpacks which are probably 18 months old now, plugs which are NGK 1422 and have done over 4k since a rebuild.

Is there a superior coilpack and plug (cooler) that would be of benefit? I'm not interested in the Okada coilpacks they've been proven to be snake oil.

But I've seen in the US some guys are running BMW N54 coilpacks. Has anyone any experience of these?

TIA.
??
I got Plasma coil by Okada with 1422NGK and so far no probelm at all.!

Reactions: GC1980

·
Registered
255 Posts
Next ones up are the NGK R racing ones but are expensive and hard to source.

If you're running high power and revs I would think a high performance coils and spark plugs would be beneficial than stock. Okada/IP coils packs can't comment as not used but not seen many other plug n play alternatives.

Where has it been proven Okada/IP coils are snake oil?

As i was thinking of buying the IP ones.

Wait and see what other people with big turbo builds says, also worth reading through some of the old build threads as most info will be there.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next ones up are the NGK R racing ones but are expensive and hard to source.

If you're running high power and revs I would think a high performance coils and spark plugs would be beneficial than stock. Okada/IP coils packs can't comment as not used but not seen many other plug n play alternatives.

Where has it been proven Okada/IP coils are snake oil?

As i was thinking of buying the IP ones.

Wait and see what other people with big turbo builds says, also worth reading through some of the old build threads as most info will be there.
I'll have a look at those NGK R plugs and see what they come in at price wise and where I can possibly source then from.

If stock coils from Bosch do the job on high HP cars I'm happy to stick, I do know many other cars are still running the same coil packs and decent power so I'm not saying that they're no good just looking at options really.

I'll have look back through the threads again.

Here is the testing of Okada coilpacks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
NGK recommends one range colder plug for every gain of about 75 - 100 HP. OEM Heat Range is "7" and NGK 1422's are HR "8". Bigger numbers are colder plugs --- I'm using HR "10" from their "R" series.

I'm also using my original coils, with 102K miles on them. Probably not as good as new coils, but still performing as expected.

Reactions: GC1980 and knt

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'll have a look at those NGK R plugs and see what they come in at price wise and where I can possibly source then from.

If stock coils from Bosch do the job on high HP cars I'm happy to stick, I do know many other cars are still running the same coil packs and decent power so I'm not saying that they're no good just looking at options really.

I'll have look back through the threads again.

Here is the testing of Okada coilpacks.

Might be worth a mention here, someone on another forum says the OE coils are no good with the Iridium plugs.

NGK recommends one range colder plug for every gain of about 75 - 100 HP. OEM Heat Range is "7" and NGK 1422's are HR "8". Bigger numbers are colder plugs --- I'm using HR "10" from their "R" series.

I'm also using my original coils, with 102K miles on them. Probably not as good as new coils, but still performing as expected.
Do you have the part no. for the NGK R series "9" or "10" plugs as I remember seeing it posted somewhere but was unable to find the post?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Might be worth a mention here, someone on another forum says the OE coils are no good with the Iridium plugs.

Do you have the part no. for the NGK R series "9" or "10" plugs as I remember seeing it posted somewhere but was unable to find the post?
My '07 MCS came with iridium plugs from the factory.

Here's a link to the NGK website --- NGK.com Search for "R2556" and you should get the following results to choose from. I believe this screen is showing an old ("B") and new ("G") version of the same three plugs. Also, pretty sure my last source was Summit Racing --- much better pricing.

Same NGK site should have the write-up on heat range selection too. Well worth reading and remembering.

NGK %22R%22 series.jpg

Reactions: knt

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My '07 MCS came with iridium plugs from the factory.

Here's a link to the NGK website --- NGK.com Search for "R2556" and you should get the following results to choose from. I believe this screen is showing an old ("B") and new ("G") version of the same three plugs. Also, pretty sure my last source was Summit Racing --- much better pricing.

Same NGK site should have the write-up on heat range selection too. Well worth reading and remembering.

View attachment 103121
I've found these plugs but they only seem to be in a 16mm size.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've found these plugs but they only seem to be in a 16mm size.

That's correct, and they also take a 6-point hex wrench, not the OEM 12-point. Still needs a thin-wall socket too. The HR 10 is the version I'm using.

Reactions: knt

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's correct, and they also take a 6-point hex wrench, not the OEM 12-point. Still needs a thin-wall socket too. The HR 10 is the version I'm using.
Ok I presumed being 2mm bigger it wouldn't fit the plug holes, but is that just socket/spanner size and not actual thread size/dimensions so it will fit?

Happy to get these as they're not that bad a price and can always get a long thin walled socket for them.

Cheers Walt. 👍

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ok I presumed being 2mm bigger it wouldn't fit the plug holes, but is that just socket/spanner size and not actual thread size/dimensions so it will fit?

Happy to get these as they're not that bad a price and can always get a long thin walled socket for them.

Cheers Walt. 👍
It's only the socket/spanner size that's different. Thread size/dimensions are the same as OEM.

That nengun price is about 1/3 the NGK site price. Always pays to shop around when you find the correct part number.

Reactions: GC1980

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's a great price as the ones I've searched previously was double in price.

Save me looking for them in the future (y) .

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's only the socket/spanner size that's different. Thread size/dimensions are the same as OEM.

That nengun price is about 1/3 the NGK site price. Always pays to shop around when you find the correct part number.
Good to know, ill be picking up a set or two at these prices. (y)

·
MIN-Tily Challenged
7,881 Posts
Good to know, ill be picking up a set or two at these prices. (y)

Ref Nengun
fyi

with the £ climbing quickly against the yen this might get cheaper but don’t forget duty and about 4-6 weeks wait.
The tracking works in Japan, and across the uk, expect 5weeks of tumble-weed in between with no information :censored:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a little update, I'm expecting delivery of the plugs this Friday via DHL. Guess that's not too bad all things considered.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

So as you can see they've arrived early. The center electrode is very shallow in comparison to the 1422 ngks, and the tapered electrode is much thinner too.

@oldbrokenwind these the same as yours?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much was it all in inc tax & import duties?
I paid 13000 yen and it arrived by DHL without a customs letter or a note to say pay for these goods before their release so I think I've had a result!

Works out around £86 delivered.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts