MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone successfully managed to fit the chrono pack into their car with all the warning lights working correctly?

Got a FL car and have done a lot of reading about this and it seems the main things to consider are:

1. Post-FL chrono pack needs to be fitted to post-FL cars and vice versa
2. Mileage date is held in the central instrument dial not the 2 smaller gauges

My questions are:

1. Is there any sort of link or coding within the 2 smaller gauges or will these link to any car / central dial?
2. Does a chrono pack option need to be coded to the car - like tick an option box on the ECU for this to work?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
You can't code the cluster, it would need the main (large surface mounted) chip swapping to the chrono pack.

I have fitted a set & the only realistic way I managed it was by getting one with just a few 100 miles different & then by fully dismantling both old & new & de-soldering leds & moving warning symbols to get the correct warnings as they come on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can't code the cluster, it would need the main (large surface mounted) chip swapping to the chrono pack.

I have fitted a set & the only realistic way I managed it was by getting one with just a few 100 miles different & then by fully dismantling both old & new & de-soldering leds & moving warning symbols to get the correct warnings as they come on.
Ok, lets say the middle gauge cluster vin / mileage matching somehow isnt an issue. If I bought a second hand set of twin dials from another car, would these work. Is there any data in these dials themselves or will they just work with any car?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Just re-reading this, so you are saying that as the warning lights are in different places on the 'normal' cluster to the chrono - they will never work correctly unless physically moved like you did?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Twin dials like the single tacho are slaves to the unit mounted in the centre of the dash, which stores all the vital information. If you fit twin dials with a centre speedo still in place then the warning lights on the twin dial will be mixed up. If you fit twin dials with the chrono or nav centre unit then the warning lights on the dials will be correct.

I understand that changing to chrono on a FL is plug and play but a PFL, because they never came with chrono (only nav) needs coding.

The milage is stored on the centre unit, not the car's ECU.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Would it also be possible to make the chrono pack oil temp & pressure gauges to show real data? If this swap already requires full dismantling and soldering that shouldn't be such a big leap...
No. It is an integrated circuit.

No need really. If the calculated values are good enough to run the car, they should be good enough as an indicator. The additional gauges in my Focus ST work in the same way.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Just re-reading this, so you are saying that as the warning lights are in different places on the 'normal' cluster to the chrono - they will never work correctly unless physically moved like you did?
Yes, that is what I found.

eg.
High beam indicator came up when switching cruise on, so I had to swap the LED to get the right colour & cut out the old warning icon & swap these to get the correct led in the correct colour bringing on the correct icon. etc.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Ok, lets say the middle gauge cluster vin / mileage matching somehow isnt an issue. If I bought a second hand set of twin dials from another car, would these work. Is there any data in these dials themselves or will they just work with any car?
I didn't try that but I doubt it, and even if it did you would have 2 x speedos & no additional dials, which is the whole point IMHO.

·
Baguette
2,103 Posts
No. It is an integrated circuit.

No need really. If the calculated values are good enough to run the car, they should be good enough as an indicator. The additional gauges in my Focus ST work in the same way.
What you mean good enough to run the car? Oil temp and pressure data are not used to run the car. They're purely calculated for the amusement of the driver (in the Mini, no idea about Ford).

·
Registered
779 Posts
What you mean good enough to run the car? Oil temp and pressure data are not used to run the car. They're purely calculated for the amusement of the driver (in the Mini, no idea about Ford).
They are calculated in the Ford as well. If computer generated values via the ecu are enough to run the car then they are good enough "for the amusement of the driver" too. Simple really...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts