MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone shed any light on this? I get it between idle & about 1200 rpm in any gear. It's more of an irritant than a real problem but I would like to kill it off if can. The car is an '04, it's recently had new engine mounts back & timing side, new tensioner assembly & a new belt last week when I fitted a Kavs & precedes those parts & it's running on a new stock clutch & flywheel.

I've been around the engine bay & made sure everything is buttoned down - ps reservoir, expansion tank etc & I can't see anything obvious?

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
do you have a hole visible in the tensioner safety strap, above the tensioner body? Checked the crank damper? Alternator free to spin?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No visible hole in the strap - the tensioner assembly is brand new. Alternator is free & I checked all the other pulleys when fitting the Kavs, I have no iffy bearings that I can detect. I should mention it's only in gear, never in neutral which points at the other end of things but it also has a brand new clutch, flywheel & release bearing over there.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
It's probably the wrong belt then, or stretched. For what it's worth, and it might seem far fetched but the bypass perhaps closes as you begin to move off, loading the charger that small amount, enough to chirp the belt. Regardless, in my experience it rarely pays to set aside something you know to be wrong and then ask what else it might be. If there is an issue then optimising things by dealing with it is best.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's interesting. The belt is a Dayco 6PK 1365 supplied by 1320 with the Kavs pulley. You think it's the wrong one?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
15% It was bought as a kit from 1320. Pulley, belt & plugs. Everything on the car for a week. Prior to fitting, the noise was intermittent, now it's constant.

To recap, on that side of the engine in the past month, I've fitted a new engine mount, belt tensioner assembly, Kavs pulley & belt. It's pretty shiny down there.

·
Premium Member
4,075 Posts
1368 is common with a 17% and even a 15%, different manufacturers have different lengths and the same belt might fit on two different cars of the same spec but that might have had pulleys, tensioner, or damper changed and the tensioner strap can read differently, minor differences but they can affect how long before the tensioner strap bottoms out. Ultimately this belt new might have shown only part of a hole but with a new belt this won't last long, so you will find the belt that might look and last better is a 1353, maybe even shorter. If I had fitted it and not seen much potential for stretch I'd have tried a different belt, it happens. I'm not saying this 'is' your problem but it does need to be good.

Does your crank damper look like this?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Id assumed the belt would be right. I'll try a shorter one & see if it does the trick. Thanks Mac & CoB. On the crank pulley, that does look like mine. It's an August 2004, so should be the revised design.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts