1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
I'm thinking of buying an aluminum-SS intercooler outlet pipe

I have a jet for W/M Injection on my OEM tube and im thinking of upgrading with a ready port on it for my meth jet.

SS vs Aluminum.

I will choose the Alu because of less weight(minor difference) and because of thermal conductivity is much greater than the SS.
If you disagree please let me know

Also im thinking of, if it would be better ceramic coated or Gold Reflective Tape.

In those parts that dont produce heat(like downpipe) you MUST NOT use Gold tape because gold has super conductivity.
So thats why im thinking of caramic coated(even a combination) the pipe BUT im not sure if its going to help 2.

Questions..

1.Whats should be the average temp of that tube INput and what the Output(while travels for sure the temp is getting higher after it pass the Tmap and going to intake manifold)

2.As you can see the 1/3(approx) is close to the downpipe which produce heat...And also that part is the coldest since its the first thing that touch after went out from the intercooler.
So what if i make that 1/3 with gold tape and the rest with ceramic?

3.Because the temps are not that high as the downpipe/turbo etc i dont know how the Ceramic coat will respond to it! I mean the thermal barrier of ceramic coats are 20-35% for HIGH temps...Does this apply to cooler temps too on all scales? Example: 1000degrees -25%=750deg! But if we have 50degrees will the ceramic help and reduce the temp to 50-25%=37.5deg?

4.Do you believe that it would be better use ceramic?Reflective? Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your time

Cheers

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Only the heat reflective tape will achieve a benefit. That will be small at best.

Ceramic coat is to keep heat within the item its coated. Therefore reducing the Impact to the surrounding area from
Radiant heat. Possibly increasing performance of the engine due to additional heat within the exhaust system which should therefore flow faster. Well something like that anyway, feel free to research this in more detail.

Your pipe is post intercooler and temps within it will be very low, hopefully near ambient or at least within 10c above it.

You could cover this in the heat selective material to help reduce heat soak to the pipe. But let’s be honest, it’s really going to make bugger all difference to your set up and power.

Zircotec do a multilayer foil which is far better than the eBay generic ones. It’s supplied to a lot of the race teams in the uk, including F1 etc
I can’t remember the percentage now, but from memory the entry single layer one is the best bang for buck. The extra layers make a tiny betterment but come at a much larger cost.

If I were in your shoes however I would rather save my money and put it towards something useful

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only the heat reflective tape will achieve a benefit. That will be small at best.

Ceramic coat is to keep heat within the item its coated. Therefore reducing the Impact to the surrounding area from
Radiant heat. Possibly increasing performance of the engine due to additional heat within the exhaust system which should therefore flow faster. Well something like that anyway, feel free to research this in more detail.

Your pipe is post intercooler and temps within it will be very low, hopefully near ambient or at least within 10c above it.

You could cover this in the heat selective material to help reduce heat soak to the pipe. But let’s be honest, it’s really going to make bugger all difference to your set up and power.

Zircotec do a multilayer foil which is far better than the eBay generic ones. It’s supplied to a lot of the race teams in the uk, including F1 etc
I can’t remember the percentage now, but from memory the entry single layer one is the best bang for buck. The extra layers make a tiny betterment but come at a much larger cost.

If I were in your shoes however I would rather save my money and put it towards something useful

I hope that helps.
Ryan actually that wasnt helpfull. Its my verdict. THANK YOU!

As for the Zircotec i didnt understand what are you saying..You mean the Adhesive foil(Reflective gold)? My downpipe is coated from Zircotec performance white!

The only reason im looking onto such things is because all the rest are done so now im only looking for some tiny extra performance details that might give only just MINOR improve in terms of performance but when you have nothing more to do...You pay "much" for a small difference.!

Thank you so much Ryan

·
Premium Member
737 Posts

If you are after every bit you can then this should help.

I couldn’t find the link to it directly on the Zircotec website, perhaps worth giving them a call tomorrow. As they do several different versions as a said, I believe the demon tweaks one is just the entry version.

Good luck with it it

·
Registered
JCW N18
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup im aware with this product besides i havent used it yet.

From what i have heard-know...The best reflective tape(except Zirco cause its new with Reflective) is Goldilocks and i have 2 rolls already so this is whats im going to do:D

As for the extra layers i wasnt aware of that and i'm glad that you mention it.
So im going with Aluminum+ Reflective.

Thanks again Ryan!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts