MiniTorque.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered a lot and I've searched and searched but can't find an answer so here goes.

Neither of my fobs work so I replaced the battery (soldered in one 05 facelift key with the 3 buttons) still nothing so I thought I would have a look at the receiver in the mirror, after taking the mirror apart it would seem at some point the car has had a water leak through through the mirror and the circuit board was covered in a fluffy corrosion effect.

I've gently cleaned it up but it would appear it's to late and a couple of the legs on one of the chips have corroded away.

So my question is, can I get a mirror 2nd hand and use the chip from the mirror and pop it in my car or will the chip need coding, i know how they keys are done just wondering if the chip takes its info from somewhere else like the bc1 and is just a link to the key rather than something specific to each vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Right update time, after finding the water damaged receiver in my mirror I ordered up another mirror from ebay and took it apart in search of the circuit board.

So after stripping it apart I double checked the receiver was the same frequency (433mhz) popped it in my car and registered the keys using the hold the unlock button and press lock 3 times and sure enough the doors locked and unlocked to signal the key was coded.

So it would appear that receivers are not specific to the car and can be swapped as you please. If this helps at least one other person I'll be happy but it's certainly fixed my car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

My central locking stopped working all of a sudden. Took the car to two electricians and they didn't know what's wrong with it. After a new FOB key and $200 later, still no fix. I came across your post and wondering where did you get the rear mirror from e-bay? I think the electricians didn't know that the receiver is actually in the mirror, so I'm willing to give this a go myself.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts