MiniTorque.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003, R53 230bhp.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good trusted garage near Brighton, Sussex who can do a cam change for me. Looking at a 469 cat cam or the Newman ph2.
Currently my 'S' is putting out 227bhp on the dyno. Would like to see a potential 250bhp with a remap after fitting.
Would love to use 1320 but St Neots is a bit of a drive away!!!

·
Registered
2003, R53 230bhp.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it's a fairly easy job then. Ok, I have a local mechanic who looks after my car. I'll get him to do it if it's not a complicated job.
Which cam is recommended though? The Newman ph2 or the Cat cam 469? Quite a difference in price. What's the difference in the 2 products?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Yeah its an easy job. A competent person could do one in an hour. Id expect most garages would charge 2ish hrs though.
Theres people on here who are better placed to suggest which cam is best suited.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Thank you for you vote of confidence but I'm a chef, not a mechanic!! Any idea what a reasonable charge is for changing the cam on my car?
I'm an Accountant but still don the tools!

Cam will depend on your use/driving style.

I only have experience of 469 which has lifted slightly through the lower rev range but you feel it really start to pick up at 4k and will go hard all the way to redline.

Other will have better advice having experienced multiple cam options.

Could be worth searching for 'cam' posts by carsorbikes, he has kindly gone through it a few times and usually in great depth! So will be some good reading out there.

·
Premium Member
2006 cooper S 225bhp
1,303 Posts
Could be worth searching for 'cam' posts by carsorbikes
hey Siri, search ‘cam posts by carsorbikes’…

…..Your search returns “1000000000000 results”

seriously though if it’s cams you want advice about carsorbikes is your man, he’s supplied and fitted a catcam to my cars (not sure which one offhand), swapping it from a dead engine to the new one as well, he will certainly point you in the right direction as to which one to go for to suit your driving style and car use etc, my cam is set up use in an every day road car so nice tick over and idle etc

·
Registered
2003, R53 230bhp.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm an Accountant but still don the tools!

Cam will depend on your use/driving style.

I only have experience of 469 which has lifted slightly through the lower rev range but you feel it really start to pick up at 4k and will go hard all the way to redline.

Other will have better advice having experienced multiple cam options.

Could be worth searching for 'cam' posts by carsorbikes, he has kindly gone through it a few times and usually in great depth! So will be some good reading out there.
I would describe my driving style as " retro". I'm 60 years old now, but still yearn for that pure balls out acceleration I had with my 1340cc converted mini 1275gt.
The thing my car lacks is power off the line. You put your foot down ( without revving it to 4k) and it takes an absolute age to pick up and start pulling hard. Quite the opposite to if you do hold it at 4k and slip the clutch. But I don't want to be driving in that manner all the time. Midrange, the car is savage and will seriously impress me. It's just that low down, off the low down grunt that disappoints me.
I've thought about diff ratios, but thought I would try the cam first. OR, could it be something else? Are the 550 injectors to much for the car? Is the map set up correctly? The graph indicates so and the injectors were scaled in correctly. Car is running 227bhp on the dyno. It runs fine and hits an indicated 70mph in 2nd gear just prior to the rev limiter. Once on cam its a great fun car. Its off the line that it falls short.

·
Registered
2003, R53 230bhp.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

seriously though if it’s cams you want advice about carsorbikes is your man, he’s supplied and fitted a catcam to my cars (not sure which one offhand), swapping it from a dead engine to the new one as well, he will certainly point you in the right direction as to which one to go for to suit your driving style and car use etc, my cam is set up use in an every day road car so nice tick over and idle etc

I'm not familiar with Siri, I'll consult my teenage daughter!! Sseriously though, thanks for the pointers, I'll drop him a line and see what he thinks.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
6,637 Posts
Newman PH1/2 or Catcam 1302461 will take care of 'from idle' performance a bit better, maybe PH1/2 from very slightly lower, 461 very slightly more eager, maybe another, from there you move it up pretty much,

a cam won't really equal the affect of an FD conversion imo, depends what we all want, we're only moving performance windows up or down, or opening them further.

·
Registered
2003, R53 230bhp.
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing I'm after something that accelerates off the line like a scalded cat. Tonight, whilst it's a very chilly night, the car was pushed to it's red line and pulled an 'indicated' 72 mph in 2nd and 90 in 3rd. It's mid range torque is very impressive, but maybe it's the 'long gearing' that I need to look at in order to achieve what I'm really after. That is, pure off the line speed to 62.( similar to that of my RS 225 that did it in a proven 5 seconds dead, but then again, it did have 315 ft/lbs!!) Top end is irrelevant to me as where one to do 132 mph, and get caught, shit would happen and licenses lost!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.